Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Limp mode or fuel starvation

Search this Thread

Old 7/17/11, 05:29 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limp mode or fuel starvation

Been reading a number of the posts regarding overheating and cars going into limp mode. I experienced overheating and subsequent limp mode this week at HPR. Outside temp only 85. (altitude roughly 5000' however).
I'm curious if anyone experienced fuel starvation independent of limp mode due to overheating? Anyone monitoring fuel pressure to confirm fuel starvation?
Thanks,
Rick
Old 7/17/11, 06:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmaginnis
Been reading a number of the posts regarding overheating and cars going into limp mode. I experienced overheating and subsequent limp mode this week at HPR. Outside temp only 85. (altitude roughly 5000' however).
I'm curious if anyone experienced fuel starvation independent of limp mode due to overheating? Anyone monitoring fuel pressure to confirm fuel starvation?
Thanks,
Rick
What were the symptoms of overheating to know it caused the limp mode? Temp light on dash, temp gauge peg H, coolant blow, etc.

The reason I ask is I went into limp mode on the track due to another issue that I believe has been corrected.
Old 7/18/11, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Rick... I ran the car at PPIR a couple of weekends ago and had no fuel starvation issues. Ran it down to the point where I had to borrow a gallon of fuel to make it to Fountain . A couple of GT owners were having issues that seemed similar to starvation though.

The heat could have been an issue, but your temp gauge should have been pegged and the red light should have been on before limp mode kicked in (from what the dealer told me).

Anyway, would have seen you at HPR last Friday if Groove had gotten my car done (long story). My old M3 was out there and the new owner said they saw you.
Old 7/18/11, 10:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JScheier
The heat could have been an issue, but your temp gauge should have been pegged and the red light should have been on before limp mode kicked in (from what the dealer told me).
That's what happened when heat caused the limp mode for me and was supported by a 250F ECT on my Aeroforce gauge. The other issue would have tiggered a flashing CEL.
Old 7/18/11, 08:58 PM
V6 Member

Rick... I ran the car at PPIR a couple of weekends ago and had no fuel starvation issues. Ran it down to the point where I had to borrow a gallon of fuel to make it to Fountain . A couple of GT owners were having issues that seemed similar to starvation though.

Anyway, would have seen you at HPR last Friday if Groove had gotten my car done (long story). My old M3 was out there and the new owner said they saw you.
The reason I ask was because I couldn't tell if these events (fuel starvation and overheating) were happening at the same time. The temp gauge was pegged and the check engine light would blink. Car would basically lose power and revs. Then, after maybe 30 seconds, temp would drop quickly and everything started working just fine. No question that keeping car in 3rd gear with revs pushing 7k was not the right thing to do for extended periods. Guess I need to learn how to shift and turn at the same time. Never done this before - but it was a riot! Figured out how to 'drift' the Boss around the HPR hairpin. Traction control saved me many times.
I plan to use an OBD interface and the 'Torque' software on my phone to monitor some of sensor info like fuel pressure (if its available from the Mustang ECU?)
Old 7/18/11, 09:03 PM
V6 Member

Hey, did you bring your car up to Steamboat last month to the RMMR show? I had mine entered in the show right behind the black LS. Noticed a CO Boss parked off the main street.

Originally Posted by cloud9
What were the symptoms of overheating to know it caused the limp mode? Temp light on dash, temp gauge peg H, coolant blow, etc.

The reason I ask is I went into limp mode on the track due to another issue that I believe has been corrected.
The temp gauge pegged AND the check engine light started flashing. Can't recall seeing a red light but, things are happening pretty fast so it may have been on but didn't notice it.
Lowering the engine RPMs to below 6k seemed to solve the problem for the most part.
Rick

Last edited by rmaginnis; 7/18/11 at 09:07 PM.
Old 7/19/11, 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rmaginnis
Hey, did you bring your car up to Steamboat last month to the RMMR show? I had mine entered in the show right behind the black LS. Noticed a CO Boss parked off the main street.
Was not me. I only picked mine up a couple of weeks ago.