Laguna Seca Open Track Nov 25

Search this Thread

Old 11/10/11, 07:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laguna Seca Open Track Nov 25

Oooooooh Yeeeeeaaaaahhh!

http://www.norcal-saac.org/news/1111ls.htm

Just got my registration in, and ordered a new set of rear tires.

Looks like I might be putting my exhaust discs back in.

Tech & Safety Equipment Requirements
SNELL M95/SA95 HELMETS ARE NO LONGER
ACCEPTED AT NOR CAL SAAC TRACK EVENTS.

92 dB SOUND LIMIT FOR THIS EVENT
Minimum safety requirements for drivers and passengers:
• Helmet: Snell SA2000,M2000,SA2005,M2005 or newer CHECK
• 2.5 lb. fire extinguisher mounted with metal bracket CHECK
• Roll bar for ALL occupants in open-cockpit cars
• Full coverage, non-melting shoes in ALL groups CHECK
• Gloves (fire retardant or leather) in ALL groups CHECK
• Full-length cotton pants in Yellow, Red, and Green CHECK
• Long-sleeve cotton shirts in Yellow, Red, and Green CHECK
• 4-point safety harnesses in Green
92 dB Sound Limit SIGH

The Monterey County restricts the maximum sound output level of all cars to 92 dB (A-weighted decibel scale) as measured by County officials. Any car exceeding the sound limit must immediately come off the track and must be modified to achieve compliance before re-entering the track. There are no exceptions to the sound limit. Failure to comply with the sound limit will result in disqualification from the event with no refund.
Old 11/10/11, 07:36 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

They weren't real picky about the shoes. I think 1/2" or even 3/4" would be fine. I have a set of both if you want to borrow them.
Old 11/10/11, 07:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Rick I've got a set or two or three as well! I'm pretty excited and just need to get my fire extinguisher bracket fabbed up and mounted. Oh and mount some tires. I guess I need to take a day off. Been working 13-14 hours a day so I'm ready for some fun!
Old 11/12/11, 07:47 PM
Bullitt Member

****! That's a Friday....would love to track a car where it was born! I'm going to need to be happy with with my buttonwillow and wsir on the 20th and 27th :P
Old 11/21/11, 07:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Krnnerdboy
****! That's a Friday....would love to track a car where it was born! I'm going to need to be happy with with my buttonwillow and wsir on the 20th and 27th :P
Yes it is a Friday, but its a holiday for most people being the day after Thanksgiving. I just installed my brake duct kit (thanks to all who have posted pics), flushed with Super Blue fluid, and put on the "kitty litter" scoop for the trans. Just need to fab up a bracket for the fire extinguisher. Oh yeah, dropped the rear wheels off to get some new tire mounted.

Forecast still showing about 62* and no rain!!!
Old 11/25/11, 04:38 PM

Did you survive?
Old 11/25/11, 09:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Did you survive?
I did! Unfortunately I now know what it's like to slide sideways at sixty and blast through a 1 foot tall wall of sand bags, going airborne, and bouncing back onto the track just after the corkscrew.... Mercifully I was riding shotgun in someone else's car at the time!!!

I'm downloading vids to the computer right now. Was messing around with Harry's lap timer so it just recorded individual laps.

In short, LS is unbelievibly awesome. The 300 vertical feet of elevation change over the 2.2X mile track makes for some hair raising moments. The craziest is of course the corkscrew. You drive up the 300 feet and heavy brake, then turn left. Once you kiss the chicane you turn hard right into the abyss. You literally cannot see where you are going with the cliff they call a down hill there. I would not be surprised if the front right tire comes off the ground! The second hairball spot is the main straight where you're over 100 MPH over the blind rise into a downhill turn... I had a very experienced guy riding with me all day and he kept pushing and pushing me to go wide open in 4th over that thing. With SPORT mode on the dang "gnomes" would be kissing the brakes and making the car unstable in the line I was taking. Later when I killed the ESC all-together it was much more under control through that section. Then again I took a better line.

All in all it was the most fun I have ever had behind the wheel!

Pics and vids to follow. For some reason my iPhone is not downloading them to my laptop...
Old 11/25/11, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fat Boss
I did! Unfortunately I now know what it's like to slide sideways at sixty and blast through a 1 foot tall wall of sand bags, going airborne, and bouncing back onto the track just after the corkscrew.... Mercifully I was riding shotgun in someone else's car at the time!!!
Holy cow Batman, I hope you have video of that!

In short, LS is unbelievibly awesome. The 300 vertical feet of elevation change over the 2.2X mile track makes for some hair raising moments. The craziest is of course the corkscrew. You drive up the 300 feet and heavy brake, then turn left. Once you kiss the chicane you turn hard right into the abyss. You literally cannot see where you are going with the cliff they call a down hill there. I would not be surprised if the front right tire comes off the ground! The second hairball spot is the main straight where you're over 100 MPH over the blind rise into a downhill turn... I had a very experienced guy riding with me all day and he kept pushing and pushing me to go wide open in 4th over that thing. With SPORT mode on the dang "gnomes" would be kissing the brakes and making the car unstable in the line I was taking. Later when I killed the ESC all-together it was much more under control through that section. Then again I took a better line.
I'll have to remember no nannies when I drive there next year.

I'm downloading vids to the computer right now. Was messing around with Harry's lap timer so it just recorded individual laps.
Yeah I haven't got Harry's completely figured out either. I have a bunch of one lap vids but the good part is I have lap times.
Old 11/26/11, 10:58 AM

Are you kidding about the colored pants and shirts or is this serious?
Old 11/26/11, 12:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Rick- sadly no video. Learning experience. Always move the camera mount to the other car and capture ALL laps! Working on the vids right now... It's tough because the power is out and I'm at the "emergency shelter" aka the sports bar.

blong- hahaha those are the run group colors. I stuck in beginner and passed most everyone. A guy in a PJ Saleen was surprised when I passed him.
Old 11/26/11, 05:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here's a video of I think my fastest lap at 1:53, which I'm fine with for my first day out at LS. The guy that rode with me on THIS SESSION ONLY was a friend of an instructor level guy. I don't think I had too much speed!

I'm having difficulty downloading the vids directly to the computer, had to upload this one direct from the phone. I'll post another one or two if they have anything cool in them.

Can't wait to go back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ald7hSDMDwU
Old 11/26/11, 06:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here's one where I almost lost it. You can hear the good coaching I was getting early in the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZC4UuyxHXM

And some pics I took. Have a funky app on the iPhone called CAMWOW that does the coloring book look.

Here's a California Special with a 347 I was running with all day. Love the car. He's out there doing it with drum brakes! (tried to rotate it within photobucket, but it shows sideways on the preview...)

Old 11/29/11, 01:04 PM
GT Member

weather looked good. I wish I could have gone next time im there!!
Old 11/29/11, 03:27 PM
Bullitt Member

nice...

I could watch lap videos of LS all day long...

it's a funny comment from the instructor ;-)

I thought you looked pretty smooth / not too fast...that 9/10 combo can be a sphincter-tightener though, for sure, as it's reeeally downhill there.

I'm surprised he didn't mention your line on the setup for 9...that's a tricky spot. it's counter-intuitive relative to most corners, in that you've got to be careful not to set up from full wide right...best to stay at least a car's width from track-right...reason being that the track has nice camber inside of that but then flattens near track-right...which is why you see a lot of people bail right there or get the rear light there, freak out a bit, then hook it back to the inside.

Last edited by fuhrius; 11/29/11 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11/29/11, 09:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by fuhrius
I could watch lap videos of LS all day long...

it's a funny comment from the instructor ;-)

I thought you looked pretty smooth / not too fast...that 9/10 combo can be a sphincter-tightener though, for sure, as it's reeeally downhill there.

I'm surprised he didn't mention your line on the setup for 9...that's a tricky spot. it's counter-intuitive relative to most corners, in that you've got to be careful not to set up from full wide right...best to stay at least a car's width from track-right...reason being that the track has nice camber inside of that but then flattens near track-right...which is why you see a lot of people bail right there or get the rear light there, freak out a bit, then hook it back to the inside.
Turn 9 is a great corner! Speed seemed to be limited by my cojones.. A couple of times the *** end started to drift out towards the top of 3rd gear! Thanks for the info on the camber'd area. I will put that to use next time out.

I'm rolling with TEAM SHELBY on Sat. Going from Saratoga to Half Moon Bay for lunch. You're welcome to join. It's a lot of fun running with a bunch of late model Shelbys. Check out the Pacific Region on TeamShelby.com if you're interested.
Old 11/29/11, 11:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's a video of I think my fastest lap at 1:53, which I'm fine with for my first day out at LS. The guy that rode with me on THIS SESSION ONLY was a friend of an instructor level guy. I don't think I had too much speed!

I'm having difficulty downloading the vids directly to the computer, had to upload this one direct from the phone. I'll post another one or two if they have anything cool in them.

Can't wait to go back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ald7hSDMDwU
Nice job Andy!
Old 11/30/11, 08:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by phytrpilot
Nice job Andy!
Thanks Charlie! Track Attack was pretty instrumental for me looking back after going to LS. Was great to meet you there.
Old 11/30/11, 08:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Charlie! Track Attack was pretty instrumental for me looking back after going to LS. Was great to meet you there.
Andy, great meeting you as well at MMP! Keep the vids coming.