Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Laguna Seca as a Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/11, 07:19 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laguna Seca as a Daily Driver

For the 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca's out there...

I know all the magazine BS artists, or writers as they're sometimes referred to, will say the Laguna Seca isn't for the street. I want to know from the owners what they're opinion is, because my patience may run out for my Q2 and I'm a Cali boy at heart who's been to Laguna Seca almost every year since I was young.

Fire away!
Old 4/8/11, 07:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've only had my Laguna Seca for a short time, and so far so good on public roads. However, if you look at the tire tread, you may not want to drive in the rain.
Old 4/8/11, 07:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1FAFP90
I've only had my Laguna Seca for a short time, and so far so good on public roads. However, if you look at the tire tread, you may not want to drive in the rain.
I would agree with above. I have not yet recieved my Q1 LS but already have the new rims ready for some more wear resistant, better rain characteristics and not costing $500 a corner. Any suggestions on a $200-250 per tire recommendation for DD use?
Old 4/8/11, 07:41 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 1FAFP90
oh yeah, forgot about that.

I was getting myself pumped up and talked into driving a few hours tomorrow with a friend to go get one. If I were back in CA this would be a non-issue since it only rains during the two weeks of rain we got each year. Here, though, the entire day will be sunny except for 20 minutes of torrential downpour right at rush hour or some other inopportune time. Good memories of my Jeep's top being down and pulling offroad to put it up just in time for the rain to stop.
Old 4/8/11, 07:47 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Bloody_Knuckles
oh yeah, forgot about that.

I was getting myself pumped up and talked into driving a few hours tomorrow with a friend to go get one. If I were back in CA this would be a non-issue since it only rains during the two weeks of rain we got each year. Here, though, the entire day will be sunny except for 20 minutes of torrential downpour right at rush hour or some other inopportune time. Good memories of my Jeep's top being down and pulling offroad to put it up just in time for the rain to stop.
If you pulled off to put the top up on a Jeep because it was raining, then the Laguna Seca is probably not the daily driver for you.
Old 4/8/11, 07:50 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
If you pulled off to put the top up on a Jeep because it was raining, then the Laguna Seca is probably not the daily driver for you.
LMAO, so true... left out there were two girls in the car; it was a double date.

*by myself, I played the puddle game.

Last edited by Bloody_Knuckles; 4/8/11 at 07:51 PM.
Old 4/8/11, 08:01 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Bloody_Knuckles
LMAO, so true... left out there were two girls in the car; it was a double date.

*by myself, I played the puddle game.
I don't know what that is, but it sounds like it would be more fun with a girl, if you're into the kinky stuff.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old 4/8/11, 08:03 PM
Cobra Member

Nitto 555s are a good compromise for performance and rain capability.
Old 4/8/11, 08:10 PM
GT Member

A second set of rims and rubber are pretty simple. No need to let that stop you from buying

Other than that, just leave the splitter and ducts off for DD duties and there's nothing to keep you from enjoying the car every day.......

....well, okay when 14" of snow falls in one day, you may want to leave it at home
Old 4/8/11, 08:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I would agree with the Nittos and they don't wear to bad either
Old 4/8/11, 09:35 PM
Bullitt Member

I've got almost 40,000 on my 2000 R, a car many would say is not a daily driver.

Well, mine isnt, but that hasn't stopped me from driving it to Nashville once - 17 hours, Detroit three times - 12 hours, Montreal twice - 5 hours, and Fords at Carlisle twice - 6 hours, and Watkins Glen seven times - 6 hours.

So I've averaged about 4000 miles per year.

The seats are comfortable, I've gotten as high as 23 mpg on the highway, and each of these trips has been with the front splitter off.

I guess what I'm saying is I plan on driving my LS as much as possible within reason, and probably get a second set of wheels and tires for street driving, and keep the originals for the track events.
Old 4/8/11, 09:42 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,817 Likes on 2,086 Posts
The Goodyear F1's on my Shelby were no fun in the Rain. The BFG's I replaced them with were a bit more confidence inspiring in the wet. That ZERO gravity feel is no fun after hitting a big puddle on the freeway.

On a side note I did a half hour commute in the Shelby one way for about a year. It really takes the SPECIAL out of the car when you drive it everyday vs the weekend. I just got used to it and it was simply a commuter. After I stopped driving it everyday it just seemed a lot more special on those occasions. But that's just how it was for me. Just a thought.

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 4/8/11 at 09:46 PM.
Old 4/9/11, 12:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As much as Ford says this is a "race car with a license plate", it's still a street car. Only thing you should have to watch out for is premature tire wear as mentioned above.
Old 4/9/11, 07:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
Nitto 555s are a good compromise for performance and rain capability.
Shane - Thanks for the Nitto suggestion but the Nitto NT 555 Extreme Performance tire does not come in either the front or rear OE sizes we have on our Boss. I want to stay with the exact OE sizes.

Anyone have thoughts on the Hankook Ventus V12 EVO's?
Old 4/9/11, 01:09 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
As much as Ford says this is a "race car with a license plate", it's still a street car. Only thing you should have to watch out for is premature tire wear as mentioned above.
That's the way I see it too. I mean, it even has A/C!
Old 4/9/11, 01:55 PM
Cobra Member

hmmm the 555 and nt05 only come in 275 wide.however, the invo comes in 285/19 and they even ahve 305 and 315 19" too so youy can even go wider if you want. Ive never used the invo, but IIRC they have a lower treadwear than the 555 and iu ahve bene told they work well in the rain..

http://nittotire.com/index.html#index.tire.invo.sizes
Old 4/9/11, 02:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
Shane - Thanks for the Nitto suggestion but the Nitto NT 555 Extreme Performance tire does not come in either the front or rear OE sizes we have on our Boss. I want to stay with the exact OE sizes.

Anyone have thoughts on the Hankook Ventus V12 EVO's?
I've had both the 555 and the Ventus V12s on my '06, the V12s are much grippier. The NT555s got hard as rocks after about 20k miles as well...
I would definitely consider the Ventus V12 as a replacement tire for the Boss. They will not generate the type of grip the Pirelli Corsas will, however.
Old 4/9/11, 06:17 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
The Goodyear F1's on my Shelby were no fun in the Rain. The BFG's I replaced them with were a bit more confidence inspiring in the wet. That ZERO gravity feel is no fun after hitting a big puddle on the freeway.

On a side note I did a half hour commute in the Shelby one way for about a year. It really takes the SPECIAL out of the car when you drive it everyday vs the weekend. I just got used to it and it was simply a commuter. After I stopped driving it everyday it just seemed a lot more special on those occasions. But that's just how it was for me. Just a thought.

KC
Anyone who's driven a Jeep Wrangler in the rain knows about that zero control feeling, lol.

I was going to try and pick up a Laguna Seca this weekend, but I'm not in Cali anymore and need to make sure I can have the Laguna Seca as a special car and don't need to drive it often.

I have a Q2 Competition Orange on order, so I'll just wait to make up my mind until then(maybe I can get one below MSRP?). I've just got a fever and the only cure isn't more cowbell.
Old 11/19/11, 11:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Bumping this thread now that several owners have had more time with the car.

I'm looking at a 2013 LS, not for daily driving, but weekend mountain runs and the like (in addition to the track). Just want to verify I'm not insane in believe I should be able to do that okay with a LS.

Also, short of the back seat removal, is there less sound deadening between the regular 302 and LS?

As always, thanks everyone.
Old 11/19/11, 12:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Askjeffro, the LS would be just fine for your intended weekend mountain driving!

Leave the shocks at #2 setting and even with the front splitter mounted I have not had any problems in my 2500 miles. Although 30% have been track miles...

I have used the V12 Hankook's for street driving and found them very acceptable in traction, noise and cornering. I have not used them on the track, going back to the OE Pirelli's for that.

If you can purchase a '12 LS under MSRP, I believe you will be very happy!
Join us soon!

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca as a Daily Driver