2012-2013 BOSS 302

Just a Warning .......

Search this Thread

Old 11/23/11, 08:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merc50
No I am not.

I found my car was very low, it was unexpected.

It is an issue that several people are having.

Oil consumption can get better with break in or become far worse over time.

I have every right to be concerned. What happens it this continues to get worse? I should just be okay with a quart every 1000 miles?

My full race 440 does not even do that under hard use.

I drove around with it low, most likely it did no damage but who can say.

I bet if you LS did this you would sing a different tune.
Going from 5 weight to 50 weight due to temperature change is quite a feat for motor oil to perform! They are a chain of molecules that bend to create a resistance to flow when they heat up. But what if those long chains should break?! Maybe chemically speaking the oil is not standing up? Maybe the next 6 quarts may be fine! If the oil batch was faulty, it might only make it to 20 weight and on a hot motor, it would just go past the rings!
Old 11/23/11, 09:02 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by red pony
Going from 5 weight to 50 weight due to temperature change is quite a feat for motor oil to perform! They are a chain of molecules that bend to create a resistance to flow when they heat up. But what if those long chains should break?! Maybe chemically speaking the oil is not standing up? Maybe the next 6 quarts may be fine! If the oil batch was faulty, it might only make it to 20 weight and on a hot motor, it would just go past the rings!
I have wondered about the 5w50 for a long time. I can't say I am a fan of it at all.
Old 11/23/11, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by kyfigfam
Kind of funny that my 200 hp 86 GT has a full complement of gauges but my Boss has a temp and gas gauge. Really, my only complaint.
My hope with future Stangs, especially HiPo models like the Boss, is that they integrate available OBDII data into the instrument/entertainment display to show any of a vast wealth of engine and other data -- sliced, chopped, graphed and displayed how you want it. What better way to sync MySync infotainment system with the basic premise and purpose of a performance car.

Aftermarket systems, displaying on iPads, laptops and even smart phones already do this, so why not from the factory? All the components are basically already there (OBDII data, suitable processing and display systems), so just set a few programmers at it and voila, Ford can offer a true 21st century melding of IT and driving performance.
Old 11/23/11, 09:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have wondered about the 5w50 for a long time. I can't say I am a fan of it at all.
I wonder if it has to do with emisions that it was changed or maybe the closer tolerances and metalurgy of the motor lends itself to the 5-50 oil? I wonder if you read the lable on the 5-50 if its qualifications are actually better than the 5-20 we run in our 4.6 motors?
Old 11/23/11, 09:19 AM
V6 Member

People have claimed that the motor throws cam warnings with a thicker grade and Ford Racing loves the 5w50, I am sure they have there logic and I will use what they say but 5 to 50 is a lot to ask of oil.
Old 11/23/11, 10:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No I am not.

I found my car was very low, it was unexpected.

It is an issue that several people are having.

Oil consumption can get better with break in or become far worse over time.

I have every right to be concerned. What happens it this continues to get worse? I should just be okay with a quart every 1000 miles?

My full race 440 does not even do that under hard use.

I drove around with it low, most likely it did no damage but who can say.

I bet if your LS did this you would sing a different tune. What if it was your jeep doing it, that would be okay and you would have zero concern?
I am used to air-cooled 911s where a quart every 1000 miles is expected. I don't really worry about oil consumption unless it's indicative of a larger problem which remains to be seen.
Old 11/23/11, 11:59 AM
GT Member

my friend works at a ford dealer and just replaced an entire boss engine due to oil consumption issues
Old 11/24/11, 10:20 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
im with mr merc, a 40000 dollar car shouldnt need to have oil added before change one ,,once in a great while id get a faint whiff of oil- i was thinking maybe id got some on a floor mat off shoes,,other day it had 898 miles . i checked it, its a quart low. the quart got me a quarter way up in the hash marks(which means at least 3 more pints are needd to make it full.) My local dealer here says fords take on it as long as its less than a quart every thoulsand its ok,,thats bs
ive had a lot of hi po cars roadrunners demons gts etc,,only time oil should be gone is if they are using it or leaking it somewhere..so whats up.
i cant lie this winters weather so far has been kind and ive drove mine a lil , lol i even smoked a vette on way to work last week, so ive ran it hard but mercy, it shouldnt use oil even if its ran hard, Im really getting worried about it.
Sure dealer would probably make it right but who wants em wrench and scratching up their Gt.
My dealer here dosnt sell alot of gts i drove 6 hours to get my yellow blaze gt, and im xplaining to my local dealer somthings up ?
they get super smart and i ask em which ford dealer to give it back to em at if it dosnt stop burning oil.
i really hate this because i just got gt 500 spoiler and shifter, and now i may need a car,
i inherited a lil cash 10g and i was gonna pay my payments ahead in Jan 2012
im glad i havnt yet
anothr dealer an hr from my home who use to sell a lot of gts tells me they had 4 or 5 truck owners complain but after few thoulsand miles and 1st oil change it stops . A big performance dealer in ny says same ,,we will see
i had an 09 and it didnt use a drop, also someone mentioned hi performance gt's, lol they are all hi po with over 400 hp on tap
454 ss pickups never used oil , new vettes dont use it, Challlengers dont(lol they are just slow i wish they were fast )
so whATS UP
Old 11/24/11, 10:21 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by phiggs54

When I get behind the wheel my Boss has 2 dipsticks
Old 11/25/11, 07:17 AM

Just completed a 1100mile road trip in the Boss. It had used some oil before this but changed to Amsoil 15-50 at 3000 miles and it did not burn any on the trip. Now sitting at 4200miles.
Old 11/25/11, 06:55 PM
GT Member

lol super funny ,,but i gurantee if your gt was using oil you would be freaking out too ,,
on good side though ,,it has used none since i added that quart ?,,had 3 hr trip today 80-100 all the way ,,,,,knok on wood
was orginally a quart low at 878 now im at 1178 ...no consumption
Old 11/26/11, 05:27 PM

This is not the olden days, this is the era of idiot lights and milled motors with parts that fit better. Some cars you can't check the oil on today. This is not something anybody was warned about, these are not olden day cars. This is not the era of a breaking in a motor when it is new like they did in the 1950's. That light should have gone off on my car, there is no way it did not have a drop in pressure running that low on oil.

Top Fuel motors are a different breed.

Some of you guys talking, how many motors have you actually built?

Race motors for Bonnie are different than drag, those are different from road racing. Some are made with the rings and the pistons so lose they will shake in the motor when you are putting them together, others are precision perfection. Some burn oil past the rings, others never use a drop when built right.

I would have love to know up front to watch this car. I would have had no problem with that before hand, but to find out like this from a forum?

My experience was you could trust these motors, I got lazy based on that experience.

I check the oil every single time I even think my hot rods are going to move, I have not given a daily that kind of approach in 20 years or more because I did not have to.
2012 Boss 302 is a Hot Rod. 444 hp from a 302

Last edited by Montana Mik; 11/26/11 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11/26/11, 05:32 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Montana Mik
2012 Boss 302 is a Hot Rod. 444 hp from a 302
I will choose to define hot rod differently...this is an age old debate that started when the original muscle cars came out vs. the hot rods and still exists today but a factory car is still a factory car IMHO. In its stock form I hardly see it as a "hot rod."
Old 11/26/11, 06:27 PM
GT Member

1st Oil change at 2800 miles, 1 track day, 2 autocross, oil usage is 1.5 quarts. I have never had an engine use this much oil.

Maybe that's why it takes 8.5 quarts, so it has a reserve tank for the extra usage,

Fresh Castrol 5W-50 installed, unfortunately stored for winter now.
Old 11/26/11, 07:14 PM
GT Member

Thank goodness they are all over 400 horse , you gotta admit the new 5.0 is a beast , i drove mine to work today here in wv it will probably be last decent day till spring. Radar love came on the sirrus as the sun was rising-i grabbed 5th and 6 and felt like i was back in high school drving my 302 maverick,, back in 1989 it was pretty fast, but it wasnt nothing!
Hot rod, Power pony, modren day muscle machine maybe -heck i just think mines great , even with the oil deal making me paranoid.When it comes to the hot rodder or a power enthusiast, its got it, ford delivered even if there is some bugs.

Last edited by dlc1; 11/26/11 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11/26/11, 07:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you all forgot about the low tension rings on 302 engines in the Fox bodied Mustangs ? If you went 1000 miles without having the oil level drop, you were doing real well. I usually check the oil level in my cars before I make a trip. If you have someone else change your oil and filter, you may have a loose filter or drain plug. I have known too many people who have burned up a good engine because they did not take the time to check the oil level. By the way those people did not have Fords.
Checking the oil frequently is good chance to admire that gorgeous engine.
Old 11/28/11, 07:33 AM
Bullitt Member

With all the these reports of oil consumption I decided to go check the oil in the car. I normally only check while at the track....... I was 1/2 qt low...... This is with about 3 track days on the oil and a few hundred street miles.

Needless to say I will be checking the oil more often....
Old 11/28/11, 10:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone "with connections" should see if Ford has an official comment on the oil consumption. Does seem some what extreme given modern advances in engines.
Old 11/28/11, 03:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine is down a quart after 800 miles. Not a Boss, but still...
Old 11/28/11, 04:21 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
Checking the oil frequently is good chance to admire that gorgeous engine.
Well that's what I think. Why wouldn't you want to lift the hood and see that motor as often as possible... and check your oil while you're in there.

Last edited by cdynaco; 11/28/11 at 04:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Just a Warning .......