Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

I'm rethinking my stripe mods - input needed

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/11, 09:39 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm rethinking my stripe mods - input needed

After looking at the new high-res photos from this week's reviews. I am beginning to think that I am just going to pull the side C-stripes and leave the white hood and roof on my Kona Blue. I think that will dial back the visual 'volume' enough without going to any great expense. The result will leave those who know about the car guessing, and it won't be so blatant for everyone else.

What do you folks think?
Old 2/25/11, 09:51 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I'm pretty certain I'm painting my roof kona blue. From there I'll decide if I'll replace the side and hood decals. I might just end up the opposite from you and have black C stripes and leave the roof and hood kona blue. Another member did this PS for me. The more I think about this the more pissed I get that Ford didn't offer black stripes as an option on our cars.

Old 2/25/11, 09:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it will strip the car of some of its design character.
Old 2/25/11, 10:07 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
I'm pretty certain I'm painting my roof kona blue. From there I'll decide if I'll replace the side and hood decals. I might just end up the opposite from you and have black C stripes and leave the roof and hood kona blue. Another member did this PS for me. The more I think about this the more pissed I get that Ford didn't offer black stripes as an option on our cars.

Black was my preferred choice too. But at ~800$ a set to change colors, I'm not really feeling the desire to go black. I'd prefer to save my $$$ for go-fast goodies.
Old 2/25/11, 10:11 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chris, I think the opposite would look better. Remove the roof/hood vinyl(paint). and leave the sides. Also, get the wheels finished all black.
Old 2/25/11, 10:17 AM
GT Member

What's your reasoning for dialing back the "visual volume"? It's unique to the Boss. Back in the day, Dodge and Plymouth went crazy making their colors and graphics loud. Today, they are the most sought after colors and not strictly for collectors.

Run with the factory colors/graphics for a while and see if it grows on you. I know the thing with a lot of European performance cars is to de-badge it. I personally am not a fan of that either.

What visually separates a de-striped and painted Boss with a V6 base Kona Blue Mustang? Front grill and short splitter? Where is the joy in seeing that besides what you personally feel on the track.

I'm going to enjoy showing the Boss stripe legacy (Kona Blue).

Dave
Old 2/25/11, 10:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Old 2/25/11, 10:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Amen Dean. Amen.
Old 2/25/11, 10:24 AM

Nice. Note the roof is not painted black.

Originally Posted by dean_acheson
Old 2/25/11, 11:08 AM
Bullitt Member

don't

the more I saw the pics of the white-striped cars, the more I like them. I really liked the red with white...blue / white looks good too.
I wouldn't be in a hurry to change it up, personally.

I say this being guilty, myself, of already wanting to do some cosmetic mods...but I thought I might start a little simpler.

- I think the wheels will look better all-black (like on that red / white car at the press event)

- I think the grill surround looks better all-black, as it is on some production mustangs. I did a quick search and came up with this one that I think would look good:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/black-...ille-2010.html

on my white car, maybe do black mirrors?

easy to get carried way...heck, I'd take a pink one at this point...I just want to drive the darn thing!
Old 2/25/11, 11:10 AM
FR500 Member

I'm not that showy a person. As I said, my preference would have been for black on Kona. Since that option is not available, it would cost me north of 1000$ (to swap all graphics, and put a gloss black shrink wrap on the roof - to keep the original paint). I am considering what else I could go for.

I am not going to rip the stripes off right away, but I am currently leaning in that direction. If I have some time tonight I will look into Photoshopping the variations.
Old 2/25/11, 12:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Here's another thing to consider as well-
I'm not entirely sure that stripe color changes will be as easy as some are hoping. I think that the 'bulk' of the C stripe and smaller pin stripe that goes around it are in fact one piece. If this is the case, they are actually specific to the body color. It wouldn't be as simple as ordering a set of black stripes, because the black stripes will either have some red, CO, yellow, or white associated with them.

I attached a picture of yellow blaze. You can see the 'edge' of the C stripe where it meets the paint. It looks like one big decal to me, with body color (yellow blaze) already part of the stripe itself. So, switching between white and black stripes on a CO or Race Red will be possible, but will look awkward on yellow, white and blue since only one stripe color is available for those.

Edit: Perhaps that part is actually clear, and the body color I am seeing is just the paint itself? Feel free to clarify this for me.
Attached Thumbnails I'm rethinking my stripe mods - input needed-09-2012-mustang-boss-302.jpg  

Last edited by Berol; 2/25/11 at 12:11 PM.
Old 2/25/11, 12:17 PM

I've seen two in person and I don't think that's correct. There is no car color embedded within the decal set.
Old 2/25/11, 12:19 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Berol
Here's another thing to consider as well-
I'm not entirely sure that stripe color changes will be as easy as some are hoping. I think that the 'bulk' of the C stripe and smaller pin stripe that goes around it are in fact one piece. If this is the case, they are actually specific to the body color. It wouldn't be as simple as ordering a set of black stripes, because the black stripes will either have some red, CO, yellow, or white associated with them.

I attached a picture of yellow blaze. You can see the 'edge' of the C stripe where it meets the paint. It looks like one big decal to me, with body color (yellow blaze) already part of the stripe itself. So, switching between white and black stripes on a CO or Race Red will be possible, but will look awkward on yellow, white and blue since only one stripe color is available for those.

Edit: Perhaps that part is actually clear, and the body color I am seeing is just the paint itself? Feel free to clarify this for me.
It's clear. The stripes are the same as on my GT/CS. They are glossy clear vinyl with the colour added on the back side of the decal. Only one set of part numbers exist for the black stripes, and another for the white set.
Old 2/25/11, 12:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've seen two in person and I don't think that's correct. There is no car color embedded within the decal set.
Cool, thanks for the clarification
Old 2/25/11, 01:20 PM
V6 Member

Go flat black in all the gloss black areas.
Old 2/25/11, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by swa737
Go flat black in all the gloss black areas.
All of the Boss stripes are gloss black and I'm sticking with that. I think the gloss black looks better on the high gloss metallic Kona Blue.
Old 2/25/11, 02:03 PM
DFV
Bullitt Member

All of the Boss stripes are gloss black and I'm sticking with that. I think the gloss black looks better on the high gloss metallic Kona Blue.
+1, the black shoes that the Boss (non LS) sports goes exceptionally well with black stripes.

And another point, if you decide to de-stripe, how are all the eight year old kids going to recognize your modern Hotwheels BossHoss from the lesser 'stangs?

I know you really don't want the recognition - but think about it this way, who among us is ordering a new Boss 302 because we were that eight year old kid forty years ago? Would you deprive today's youth of that wonderful fantasy?
Old 2/25/11, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by DFV
+1, the black shoes that the Boss (non LS) sports goes exceptionally well with black stripes.
Another excellent point. Although I don't think I'll do it I've thought about painting the wheel spokes white to match the white stripes (like the original Boss race cars). The problem with the white roof on the dark Kona blue is it looks too much like a police interceptor. The white roofs on the red and orange don't look nearly as goofy IMO.

Last edited by 5 DOT 0; 2/25/11 at 02:50 PM.
Old 2/25/11, 02:46 PM
GT Member

I'm thinking of painting the hood black like the 69, and the trunk lid as well

Locke62

Quick Reply: I'm rethinking my stripe mods - input needed