Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

I just went in for an oil change...

Search this Thread

Old 11/28/12, 02:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remove the plates....... you will love it..... this thing doesnt even need to be retuned with my long tube headers ESP for me ...... i think not lol the only mod i have that requires it is my jlt intake.... and im getting ready to switch to a airraid with proper insert so i can use my stock tune.......... with the red-key..... i won the air-raid one at a car show for smoking stangs
Old 11/28/12, 06:10 PM
V6 Member

Got a call from dealer. They agree to take the plates off and I will get a document stating that by doing so I am aware that if there are any problems as a result of them taking off, it will not be covered. Now all I need is Track Key vs ESP confirmation.
Old 11/28/12, 06:17 PM
V6 Member

That dealership might be filled with the biggest bunch of fools I've ever heard of. I tried to buy a black LS from them about a month ago and they initially wanted TWENTY FIVE GRAND over MSRP. When I laughed, he said maybe, just MAYBE they could sell it for 8k over. I laughed again and bought mine in San Antonio for under MSRP a week later.

Pull the plates yourself. I wouldn't let them touch my car if they are that stupid (they are). Takes literally 10 minutes with your wrenches.
Old 11/28/12, 07:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Stay away from those clowns.
Old 11/28/12, 07:34 PM

My wife just said that dealership has some idiots working there....
Old 11/28/12, 10:25 PM
V6 Member

Yeah, I know I know. It is very difficult to find a good dealership that knows their performance cars, especially now that there are no SVT dealers. So far they've been good except for not knowing a few things. I did get the car for $2K below MSRP. I just want to keep them in good graces in case I need real service in the future or if i want to buy another car. I don't want to drive 75-100 miles whenever I need service. And my experience has always been worse dealing with dealerships that I didn't buy the car from. Already got that response from a couple. Now that I got them to confirm the plates are not an issue, I'll let them know that I'll just do it myself.

Is there a good dealer in San Antonio? My experience with Jordan Ford had been subpar as well.
Old 11/29/12, 05:35 AM
V6 Member

Unfortuntately I can't really recommend any of the dealeships here in SA because I haven't needed any work really but I refuse to even step foot on Jordan's lot because of some treatment I received from them in years past. I bought my '12 from Leif Johnson up in Austin and they seemed fairly up to speed but I never had any work done by them.

All of the dealerships (of any brand of car, really) have potential pitfalls in my experience. What bothers me about yours is their complete and total ignorance and, quite frankly, the lies they are telling you about removing the plates and warranty coverage.
Old 11/29/12, 08:08 PM
V6 Member

I agree and I asked that if they don't know an answer, it is ok. I'd rather they tell me I don't know, let me find out. That's my beef with them. Stopped by this evening to take care of something and they just put my Shelby out on the lot...Tear
Old 11/30/12, 01:12 PM
V6 Member

Took the plates off during my lunch break today...sweet music to my ears since the stereo pretty much blows on the 302. Didn't really get to romp into it, can't wait for the drive home.

Haven't really researched this yet but what is everyone doing with their stock exhausts? I had the KR mufflers on my Shelby and you want to talk about night vs. day.

I ordered my track key kit yesterday so ill be getting that setup soon. Will changing the exhaust effect the Track Key tune and performance in any way? I know you can't change things like the intake for example.
Old 11/30/12, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Boss
Took the plates off during my lunch break today...sweet music to my ears since the stereo pretty much blows on the 302. Didn't really get to romp into it, can't wait for the drive home.

Haven't really researched this yet but what is everyone doing with their stock exhausts? I had the KR mufflers on my Shelby and you want to talk about night vs. day.

I ordered my track key kit yesterday so ill be getting that setup soon. Will changing the exhaust effect the Track Key tune and performance in any way? I know you can't change things like the intake for example.
What are you wanting to change? Just the axle backs or catback or everything including headers? If you do anything back of cats, it wont affect anything. If you do headers back, you don't have to get a tune, but the CEL will be on. Still won't affect trackey. I just have Borla's on mine right now with the discs removed. Sounds perfect, IMO.
Old 11/30/12, 02:16 PM
Banned

Amazing how some dealerships are. Back when I had my GTO, they were a PITA, and i got lucky here. Last time my car was in for service, it had been lowered, stripes put on, california special grilles, CAI, exhaust and a CAM TUNE. They didn't say anything beyond "Your Mustang sounds badass"
Old 11/30/12, 02:38 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by LindsayEOD

What are you wanting to change? Just the axle backs or catback or everything including headers? If you do anything back of cats, it wont affect anything. If you do headers back, you don't have to get a tune, but the CEL will be on. Still won't affect trackey. I just have Borla's on mine right now with the discs removed. Sounds perfect, IMO.
Probably just the axle backs. That's all I had on my Shelby and I was more than happy. Sounds like you can do whatever w/o affecting the Track Key. Are you running the red key?
Old 11/30/12, 09:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

I do this to people all the time seeking exhaust, but not very many bites. I REALLY like Dynomax, and my side exhaust is completely open.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1NT...e_gdata_player
Old 12/1/12, 04:34 AM

Probably just the axle backs. That's all I had on my Shelby and I was more than happy. Sounds like you can do whatever w/o affecting the Track Key. Are you running the red key?
Yep, I have the Trackey. I went through 5 different exhausts on mine until I was happy. Not the smartest financial move on my part but I wanted it perfect. I tried the GT500s, Roush's, Stainless works Retro, Borla S-Types and ATAKs. My runner up was the Ataks. Just so you know, there are some people who dont agree with the fact that you dont need a tune for headers/mide pipe but there have been quite a few people do it with no issues. When you do just the axle backs it will make your side pipes quieter because of less flow coming through them. Just FYI.
Old 12/1/12, 07:25 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by LindsayEOD

Yep, I have the Trackey. I went through 5 different exhausts on mine until I was happy. Not the smartest financial move on my part but I wanted it perfect. I tried the GT500s, Roush's, Stainless works Retro, Borla S-Types and ATAKs. My runner up was the Ataks. Just so you know, there are some people who dont agree with the fact that you dont need a tune for headers/mide pipe but there have been quite a few people do it with no issues. When you do just the axle backs it will make your side pipes quieter because of less flow coming through them. Just FYI.
Did you try the stock GT500s or the KRs? I loved the KRs. I love having the restrictors removed but I miss the deep burbly sound of the KRs. I'll check out the Borlas. Why did you like these the best? Thanks so much for the input. I don't want to go through 5 sets.

My girlfriend says my car is louder now but my Shelby was louder. Say it ain't so Joe, say it ain't so....
Old 12/1/12, 08:35 AM

Did you try the stock GT500s or the KRs? I loved the KRs. I love having the restrictors removed but I miss the deep burbly sound of the KRs. I'll check out the Borlas. Why did you like these the best? Thanks so much for the input. I don't want to go through 5 sets.

My girlfriend says my car is louder now but my Shelby was louder. Say it ain't so Joe, say it ain't so....
Stock 500's. I chose the Borla's because of the quality, and the refinement. They are only loud when I want them to be. I about kept the Ataks on but I want to be a good neighbor. The Ataks reminded me of my Roush's without the raspy-ness. The Roush's were the loudest followed by the Ataks then kindof a tie between the SW Retro and the S-Types with the 500's being the quietest. The SW were the worst of them all with unbelievable drone. I do want to try the Corsa Extremes at some point. I've heard they are pretty good sounding as well.
Old 12/1/12, 02:44 PM
V6 Member

I've got the GT500s on mine and really like the sound - deep, no drone. I, too, want to be a decent ('good' is too strong of a word!) neighbor and they sound excellent. I love the Borlas and Corsas, too, but I just couldn't justify the cost difference for basically no hp difference. Look around and you can usually get new GT500 axlebacks for less than $300. They are lighter than the OE mufflers by a few lbs, too.