Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

How many miles did you get on your Pirellis?

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/11, 03:19 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many miles did you get on your Pirellis?

How many miles can I expect to get on the stock Pirelli P zeros?
Old 9/29/11, 04:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just normal driving? Track events?, Drag racing at all?
Old 9/29/11, 05:06 PM
Bullitt Member

3000 miles!
3 track events and 1 autocross.
Like Cloud9 said, 3 hard track events is about all you'll get out of most tires.
When you push the Beast hard, The beast eats tires!

Last edited by Bossdog; 9/29/11 at 05:09 PM.
Old 9/29/11, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

The Corsas are the VERY worst tires I've ever had on a car in a long, long, time. Like Cloud 9 maybe 2-3 track days MAX. The first day will be pure bliss, and the tires work very well on the car. After that, they will literally start delaminating and coming apart. I will post some pictures soon. Never, EVER would recommend these tires. Borderline un-safe.... kinda surprised that Ford would go with this "junk" of a tire. (Can you tell I don't like them?)

Again, first day out you will love them. Be very, very careful after that. My experience is across 3 different LS's with 3 different skill set drivers. All the tires (front and back) literally started falling apart the same way. Very dangerous. Very un-safe. Pictures soon.
Old 9/29/11, 05:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have over 5,000 miles on my P-Zero's. One track day, one autocross and about 30 trips (with a lot of rear wheel spin at the start) down the quarter mile. Still have another 5,000 miles left at this rate.
Old 9/29/11, 06:57 PM
Cobra R Member

3 half track days, one drag strip and 15,000 KMs and they are done. Outer edges were gone early.

As a road tire I'd rate them as some of the best I've had. Track tire? Use something else... What though, I'm unsure of myself.

Last edited by Fenderaddict2; 9/29/11 at 06:59 PM.
Old 9/29/11, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I got 1 track day....had to replace left front...total of about 500 miles on the car...this weekend I plan to finish them off!
Old 9/29/11, 07:30 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by UnrealFord
Just normal driving? Track events?, Drag racing at all?
Mainly street use - some drag racing -- maybe one track event.
Old 9/29/11, 07:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Just remember the LS runs different tires (Pirelli Corsa) but same size as the regular Boss and has a treadwear rating of "60" and is considered an "R" compound tire, where the P-Zero's treadwear rating is "220". And I would have to agree, the P-Zero makes one heck of road tire.
Old 9/29/11, 07:54 PM

10,300 Miles on Daily driving before the front driver side deflated
the tread depth was 1/8 on the rears 1/4 on the fronts
Old 9/29/11, 09:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kaaden
10,300 Miles on Daily driving before the front driver side deflated
the tread depth was 1/8 on the rears 1/4 on the fronts
Wow, I wonder if I'll ever see 10,000 miles on my BOSS ?
Old 9/30/11, 08:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've got 6500 miles or so on mine since June 13th. The rears are looking pretty worn at this point. I beat on them. It's supposed to rain next week so I'm making room in the garage for the Boss next to the Falcon.
Old 9/30/11, 08:30 AM
Bullitt Member

The Pirelli P-Zeros front tires on my Boss are dead after 1500 miles. Failed road force test last night at the dealership. They have been on the street only and I've never seen tires fail this way before.
Old 9/30/11, 09:18 AM
Bullitt Member

A couple of things I should clarify...

My BAD review was of the Corsas which are unique to the LS. Also, my disappointment was with them as track tires. I can't really blame a high performance tire to trade it's tread life for high performance. But, that's NOT what happened with the Corsa's. The tread and tire starts to come apart!!! (aka Firestone/Ford Explorer come apart.) They are really, really junk as track tires (after giving ~1-2 fun track sessions).
Old 9/30/11, 10:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
A couple of things I should clarify...

My BAD review was of the Corsas which are unique to the LS. Also, my disappointment was with them as track tires. I can't really blame a high performance tire to trade it's tread life for high performance. But, that's NOT what happened with the Corsa's. The tread and tire starts to come apart!!! (aka Firestone/Ford Explorer come apart.) They are really, really junk as track tires (after giving ~1-2 fun track sessions).
Thanks for the heads up. Had my first track event last weekend so I will keep an eye on them from here on out.
Old 9/30/11, 11:35 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Had my first track session last Sunday and can see a definite change in the Pirellis. Not so much wear as I am a novice, but they look rough now. Total of 3500 miles, I dont see them going more than one or two more track sessions.
Any suggestions for replacements? Anyone tried the Hankook Ventus V12 on the track?
Old 9/30/11, 10:23 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Dean#4AI
Thanks for the heads up. Had my first track event last weekend so I will keep an eye on them from here on out.
Here are the warning signs. Your car will start feeling a bit greasy and the front tires will stop turning in well. This is not terrible but all of a sudden it will get very loose. Check the center of the treads. Ours completely de-laminated all the way down to the cords.(yes, tire pressure was checked after each session.) We chalked up to pushing the fronts too hard, but that was not the case. After new tires up front the rears started the same poop. My buddy had the warning signs happen to the rears and then it sent him spinning wildly off the track on a first lap of second session, fortunately he wasn't hurt. He thought he may have had cold tires but they really were not. I had mine start slipping pretty bad also later in the same session and because I saw him spin, I came in. We pulled all the tires and his rears had completely thrown the center tread and mine were just coming apart. Three Laguna Secas with three total failures of front tires and two with complete rear tire failures. I guess it was fortunately it only took two sets of the rears before we got smart and the third LS was not driven any more with these tires.
If your LS starts feeling loose, get off and check the center tread very carefully. Better yet, get different tires now!
In summation, the fronts failing are scary, but not necessarily catastrophic, the backs are downright dangerous. Please be careful!

Hankooks work well but do not have near the grip more track oriented tires do. You will feel fine but track times will be slower. Very predictable and will look like no track time after. In comparo, Pirellis look like melted wax after a few laps.

Last edited by Apollo; 10/1/11 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10/1/11, 08:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Anyone tried the Hankook Ventus V12 on the track?
These are the tires that we are running on the street and really like them a lot. I ran them on the track and that is just not their forte. They are very predictable and they held up real well (no delamination like the Corsa's) but their limits are just very low comparitively.

In our area, their are a lot of BMW (mostly M3) enthusiasts (aka "track addicts") with a lot of track experience. These guys as a group are swearing by the Yokohama AD08. As the BMW is a heavy car like the Boss, I am pretty convinced based on their experiences and recommendations to give the AD08's a try. Like most other tires, it is hard to find a 27" (OEM) diameter size, in either an 18" or 19" wheel. As such, I will use a 26" diameter in a 295 in the rear and a 255 at the front.
Old 10/1/11, 08:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I had a couple opprotunities to drive the Corsas on track and didn't like the way the fronts felt. They felt just like Kendall and Apollo described. I've run several sets of the Nitto 555RIIs and one set (just mounted my 2nd) of R6s and they perform incredibly. I also have some friends running the NT01s on their 5.0s and they've been excellent as well. All of these tires I listed above are approximately half the cost of the Corsas If I owned an LS, personally I would run the Corsas on the street and buy track wheels/tires for the track. You can buy a set of 302S wheels (identical to the OEM wheels with a machined face instead of red) for $950 shipped.
Old 10/1/11, 08:34 AM
Bullitt Member

I've got about 4500 miles on my Boss with the stock tires.
Three track days at MPH.
About 1/2 the tread left, but the middle rib up front is pretty chewed up. Back ones don't look too bad yet.
I had planned to track them a little more next spring to wear them out, but maybe I need to do some tire shopping over the winter.

Quick Reply: How many miles did you get on your Pirellis?