Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

GREAT weekend driving the Boss, this morning MIL.

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/11, 11:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy GREAT weekend driving the Boss, this morning MIL.

Guys-

Drove to South Shore Lake Tahoe this past weekend for my dad's birthday. Ripped it up HWY 50 which has an incredible new pave job over the pass! WOT passing in the passing lane that would appear from time to time. Pretty incredible drive.

Played Poker, Black Jack, and Slots and won at all and lost at all. Pretty much won though! Did suffer the single worst hand/pot ever for me when I flopped trips and ended up with a boat only to get "thrown through the windshield" by a pocket Aces bigger boat...

We rented a boat and cruised around the lake a bit which was awesome. The Emerald Bay area is pretty cool. Never really seen it before.

The way back I chose the even "more turnier" HWY 88 and although HWY 50 was closed for accident mop up, the traffic on 88 was stellar. Everyone but the one old codger was a mountain veteran. In other words it was organized speeding.

The car was incredible and the only time I had a single problem was RIGHT WHEN I PASSED the new Camaro... I was doing a pretty much WOT pass and had my shift timed so it would occur right next to his open window.. when.. bicyclists are riding up the hill right there within the "realm of possibility" so I immediately tapped the brakes and stopped my WOT shift halfway and ground the gear into 4th. Completely my fault since I was going back and forth from 3rd to 4th all the time without issue. I just aborted the shift. Oh well I slowed for a second then threw it back into 3rd for more WOT.

Anyway everything was perfect all the way home.

This morning my nice yellow image of an engine is glowing on the dash.

This morning I emailed the service contact at AE and my software update that covers the Boss won't be ready until Nov 2012.

Does anyone know of a cheap reader that WILL work on our Bosses? Both read a code and reset the light?

I won't go into what I'd rather do than bring my car into the dealer for service.

Old 8/9/11, 11:23 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Fat Boss

We rented a boat and cruised around the lake a bit which was awesome. The Emerald Bay area is pretty cool. Never really seen it before.
Didn't happen to see any floating for 17+ year dead guys, did ya? Saw some headlines today.

I'm from that area. The hairpin turns over by emerald bay would have been a blast for the 302!
Old 8/10/11, 07:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Actron CP9410, used it at Infineon Monday.
Old 8/10/11, 09:28 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I can't help with the reader but it looks like Dave has you covered. Both 50 and 88 can be a lot of fun but you have to watch out for traffic. For an even better drive take the Mormon Immigrant Trail road between Pollock Pines and Hwy 88. There's usually no traffic there but watch out for logging trucks entering the Hwy. Every once in a while there will be a patrol car hiding there too. This road is only open in the summer months. I might head up there in the next week or two and have lunch at Caples Lake.
Old 8/10/11, 10:36 AM
Bullitt Member

There are lots of inexpensive readers that will both determine what is causing the check engine light and erase it too. Just make sure its not a deeper problem and doesn't get overlooked before you erase it. All CEL's are emissions related and are usually (but not always) not a pressing problem. If the car is not surging, stumbling, idleling rough or "acting strange", then it shouldn't be too serious. I'm not from the US but I'm sure AutoZone, Napa, Western Auto or a similar auto supply house would have one in the $30-$40 range. Yours is an OBD II type. Good luck.

Last edited by goesfast; 8/10/11 at 10:38 AM.
Old 8/10/11, 04:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Motor220122
Didn't happen to see any floating for 17+ year dead guys, did ya? Saw some headlines today.

I'm from that area. The hairpin turns over by emerald bay would have been a blast for the 302!
Geez. No floaters! HWY 50 was shut down due to accident when I was heading home though.

Originally Posted by 4pipes
Actron CP9410, used it at Infineon Monday.
Thanks. I ended up getting an Actron CP9125 at Autozone by my work. It was $60 but I asked for a discount (always do this) and they gave me 10% off.

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
I can't help with the reader but it looks like Dave has you covered. Both 50 and 88 can be a lot of fun but you have to watch out for traffic. For an even better drive take the Mormon Immigrant Trail road between Pollock Pines and Hwy 88. There's usually no traffic there but watch out for logging trucks entering the Hwy. Every once in a while there will be a patrol car hiding there too. This road is only open in the summer months. I might head up there in the next week or two and have lunch at Caples Lake.
Sounds like a good run. Might have to hit that one sometime. I was hoping to come by your place and see Dr Kona but it wasn't in the cards, much like my full house I lost with...

Originally Posted by goesfast
There are lots of inexpensive readers that will both determine what is causing the check engine light and erase it too. Just make sure its not a deeper problem and doesn't get overlooked before you erase it. All CEL's are emissions related and are usually (but not always) not a pressing problem. If the car is not surging, stumbling, idleling rough or "acting strange", then it shouldn't be too serious. I'm not from the US but I'm sure AutoZone, Napa, Western Auto or a similar auto supply house would have one in the $30-$40 range. Yours is an OBD II type. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. I got code 0300 which seems to be some random misfire condition. I erased it and will report back if it returns. I wasn't too worried just a little annoyed that it showed up so soon. On my 99 PSD the light burned out after about 130,000 miles of illumination! I love my Auto Enginuity setup and I guess will just have to wait until Nov '12 for the software update.
Old 8/10/11, 05:52 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the info. I got code 0300 which seems to be some random misfire condition. I erased it and will report back if it returns. I wasn't too worried just a little annoyed that it showed up so soon. On my 99 PSD the light burned out after about 130,000 miles of illumination! I love my Auto Enginuity setup and I guess will just have to wait until Nov '12 for the software update.
Random mis-fires occur when things happen like, you get sideways at high rpms, hit the brakes, start to skid, etc. Computer takes over by shutting down engine in a controlled manner so that you (and it) can regain composure. The Boss is very forgiving. I've had the same code. Clear it, your good to go.
Old 8/10/11, 06:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the info. In my case I did pretty much all of the above over the weekend and only got the light when I started it up for work the next morning. I'm sure it wasn't on when I got home from Tahoe because I was messing around with the display and was seeing how I like it without any digital msg's. It was all black below both the tach and speedo. I'll keep an eye on it and report back if any problems.
Old 8/10/11, 06:31 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Sounds like a good run. Might have to hit that one sometime. I was hoping to come by your place and see Dr Kona but it wasn't in the cards, much like my full house I lost with...
No problem. See you in Vegas.
Old 8/10/11, 06:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
No problem. See you in Vegas.
Can't wait!
Old 8/22/11, 11:20 PM
V6 Member

I got a CEL today. Not pushing hard, just some red light get-up-and-go's. 6-7000rpm shifts. The car wasn't acting strange at all, just the CEL.

I read the manual and somewhere stated cycle the ignition 3 times (something like that) and light may go off. Tried that and the light disappeared.

Not sure what code since I have no reader but I suppose off to the shop if it happens again.

Fat Boss - anything ever come of your CEL?
Old 8/23/11, 07:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

No. Haven't had any problems at all.
Old 8/24/11, 08:19 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Motor220122
I got a CEL today.
Hey Motor220122,

If this happens again, please make an appointment and private message me with your dealer, VIN, mileage, and contact info so I can escalate it for you.

Deysha