Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

First Boss track day

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/11, 09:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Boss track day

Yesterday I was at Motorsport Park Hastings (NE) for my first Boss track day.
Wow, what a day!
Overall, the car ran great (better than I can drive it). Lots of power and throttle response, and overall, handles well.
Goals for the day:
Don't trade paint w/ anyone. Success
Stay on the track. Almost--put the outside tires off the edge twice due to entering corners too fast.
Have fun. Yep
Got the back end to start coming around several times. The first time it caught me by surprise and yawed more than I wanted, but throttle lift and turn into it kept the car moving forward down the track. After that I was more in tune with the Boss and could feel the back end letting go at the initial stages.
The MM camber plates at -2.4 degrees make it respond fast to turning inputs. Tire wear (stock tires) appears pretty even across the face.
I like the Carbotech pads. Braking response is based on pedal pressure, and no initial big bite.
Afternoon temp was about 90 deg. Coolant temp maxed out at about 233 deg, so I need to drive harder!
I did get a "Check Engine Soon" light towards the end of the last session, but went out by the time I got to the paddock. A call to Gary on the way home let me know that everything is OK, and I cleared the code (don't remember number--P3060?) with the Aeroforce gauge.
Can't wait to get back, which will be MPH's Sept 24/25 Mustang/Ford weekend.
Old 8/19/11, 10:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

What no photos? Sounds like a great day and reading about it gets me excited about my day at Track Attack on Aug. 30/31. I'm planning my first track day Sept. 24th or 25th. Other than Dot 4 brake fluid I'll be running my car completely stock the first time out so I can see what it's like. After that my mod list is almost exactly like yours with the exception of different brake pads. The weekend at MPH on the 24/25 should be fun.
Old 8/20/11, 07:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Rick,

Sorry, no action photos, but here's the Boss cooling off in the paddock before the next session.
What DOT 4 fluid are you planning on? ATE Super Blue is great stuff, and a much higher boiling point (dry 536 F) than the min for DOT 4 (446 F). Of course, other great choices too.
Brake pad choices are user dependent. Some like a strong initial bite. Some don't. Hawk pads generally last a long time. But I decided not to use them because they have ferrous metal in them so the dust can rust if you leave it on the rims/car.
Carbotech has no ferrous metal, so the dust won't rust, and super easy to wash off. And they don't have a hard bite, so easy to modulate the amount of brake force I want. Tradeoff is they don't last as long. I've read they can wear out 3x faster than Hawks. When I start driving a lot harder, I'll reconsider brakes. But for now, Carbotech is my choice.
You'll enjoy the Boss on the track. Its addicting though, so budget accordingly!
Old 8/20/11, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by SD GT
Rick,

Sorry, no action photos, but here's the Boss cooling off in the paddock before the next session.
What DOT 4 fluid are you planning on? ATE Super Blue is great stuff, and a much higher boiling point (dry 536 F) than the min for DOT 4 (446 F). Of course, other great choices too.
Brake pad choices are user dependent. Some like a strong initial bite. Some don't. Hawk pads generally last a long time. But I decided not to use them because they have ferrous metal in them so the dust can rust if you leave it on the rims/car.
Carbotech has no ferrous metal, so the dust won't rust, and super easy to wash off. And they don't have a hard bite, so easy to modulate the amount of brake force I want. Tradeoff is they don't last as long. I've read they can wear out 3x faster than Hawks. When I start driving a lot harder, I'll reconsider brakes. But for now, Carbotech is my choice.
You'll enjoy the Boss on the track. Its addicting though, so budget accordingly!
I'm following Gary's lead on just about everything! I'll use the ATE Dot 4 and switch back and fourth between the two colors. For pads I'll start with the Hawk Plus. I'll add the cooling ducts, trans cooler, Moroso oil separator because I like the bracket, and stock rotors. I'd like to use the stock rims for the track but outside of the Pirelli's there aren't many good choices. The Hankook V12 is available in the stock size but the Nitto NT05's are 10mm narrower both front and rear. I'll run the Pirelli's the first time out and then probably switch to the Hankook's. If I get addicted I'll probably to to 18's similar to what Gary is running.
Old 8/20/11, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Yep, my mod list is a lot like Gary's too! (except brake pads and rotors)
He's 60 miles down the road from me, and has been a huge help in the last couple months.

I've got a Moroso oil separator sitting in the garage too (and a JLT in unopened box I need to return). I plan to remove the strut tower brace, drill and tap a 5/16" hole on the bottom side of the brace, and then bend the oil separator bracket to make the bottle hang vertical. The MM camber plate bolts don't seem to be quite as long as the factory ones, so adding the bracket will almost run out of strut bolt threads. Mounting it under the strut brace will put the can will in almost the same place. I'll order a set of 3 taps from Amazon to get the tapered, bottoming and plug style taps since there isn't much gap between the upper and lower faces of the strut tower to get the tap turned in there to cut the threads.

I plan to wear out the stock tires, then switch to a "max performance summer" tire in stock size, then decide if I want track rims/tires. But that will most likely be late next summer.
Old 8/20/11, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by SD GT
I've got a Moroso oil separator sitting in the garage too (and a JLT in unopened box I need to return). I plan to remove the strut tower brace, drill and tap a 5/16" hole on the bottom side of the brace, and then bend the oil separator bracket to make the bottle hang vertical. The MM camber plate bolts don't seem to be quite as long as the factory ones, so adding the bracket will almost run out of strut bolt threads. Mounting it under the strut brace will put the can will in almost the same place. I'll order a set of 3 taps from Amazon to get the tapered, bottoming and plug style taps since there isn't much gap between the upper and lower faces of the strut tower to get the tap turned in there to cut the threads.
Please take photos and keep me posted on how this works for you.
Old 8/21/11, 08:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a fun day Wayne. Got my car prepped yesterday for MPH on Thursday. I have to fly to Philly in a couple hours so needed to have everything ready to go for Wednesday when I get back. Weather forecast for Thursday looks fantastic.

This phantom random misfire issue is hitting almost everyone now that tracks the car. I talked to another guy down in Georgia yesterday that had the same issue. Fortunately he just threw the codes and never went into limp mode. I sure hope this goes away with TracKey.
Old 8/21/11, 11:19 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I threw the 300, 305 and 306 yesterday followed by limp mode (first time). I was running in the 230's and about 242 on the straights, when the car went to limp mode I thought maybe the clutch had stuck, looked at the temp a few seconds after and was at 236 so it was not temp. The CEL came on at the same time as the limp mode.

Now I need to find out if the random misfire can cause the car to go into limp mode, it was a mystery to me why it happened yesterday. Anyone know if the misfire can cause it?
Old 8/21/11, 11:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do we have an updated DTC listing for the 2012 cars?
Old 8/21/11, 11:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

The mistier code can and did cause the limp mode. The P0300 random misfire is not actually a mixture. It is being caused by vibration caused by the rear tires skittering across the pavement or over rumble strips. These vibrations are being transmitted through the driveline into the crankshaft and the crankshaft position sensor is reading it as a misfire. This problem is something I came across early on but now is affecting most owners tracking their cars. I believe Ford is aware of the issue and is working on a solution, but to date we haven't received a fix. I am told this issue doesn't happen with TracKey. I assume it is one of the 600 parameters that have been changed.
Old 8/21/11, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Now I need to find out if the random misfire can cause the car to go into limp mode, it was a mystery to me why it happened yesterday.
Maybe you're starting to drive "flat out".
Old 8/21/11, 11:55 AM

I haven't even tracked the car yet but to be honest, all this overheating and DTC stuff is already annoying.

I tracked my '06 for years without any of this crap, and that car wasn't built or specifically marketed as a track-friendly vehicle like the Boss is.

I hope TracKey eliminates at least the DTC bit.
Old 8/21/11, 12:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
I haven't even tracked the car yet but to be honest, all this overheating and DTC stuff is already annoying.

I tracked my '06 for years without any of this crap, and that car wasn't built or specifically marketed as a track-friendly vehicle like the Boss is.

I hope TracKey eliminates at least the DTC bit.
I am staying out there, is it perfect no but by the end of the day here I am running with half the cars that started.At least we do not have three members with new motors. Plus if I was even driving the car the was is was suppose to be maybe I would be more upset, some of my mistakes would have sidelined other cars.

Gary, where did you hear that the misfire can set off limp mode? I am not questioning you on it just want to know the source. I am hoping I can get a list of all things that can cause a limp mode.

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Maybe you're starting to drive "flat out".
Here and there, lol but never a full lap

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 8/21/11 at 12:25 PM.
Old 8/21/11, 12:25 PM

I have been thinking the exact same thing! My car is due 4th qtr and I have been reading with interest on how to modify these cars to best solve the problems on a car that was advertised "as track ready". I truly hope our friends at Ford have taken notice and working hard on a solution.
Old 8/21/11, 01:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Scott, the misfire setting off the limp mode came from me. My Ford dealer actually called the engineering hot line on this misfire/driveline vibration issue. They are aware of it and claim the TracKey resolves the issue.
Old 8/21/11, 01:07 PM

At any rate, I am looking forward to see what this thing will do on the track.

I just don't wasn't to have to wave a corvette by because I needed to take a "cool down lap" ten mins into the session
Old 8/21/11, 01:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

At any rate, I am looking forward to see what this thing will do on the track.

I just don't wasn't to have to wave a corvette by because I needed to take a "cool down lap" ten mins into the session
95+% of my track time in the Boss has been phenomenal. These issues while somewhat annoying haven't been showstoppers except possibly in some of the most extreme conditions (95*+ or elevations over 5k ft). I still think they are solvable with relatively minor mods for heavily tracked cars. The fact that we can run competitively with cars costing 50% to 300% more is a better testament to what Ford got right rather than what they missed. Some of this is also due to being owners of the first model year of a Mustang with significantly higher overall performance than any of its predecessors.
Old 8/21/11, 02:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cloud9

95+% of my track time in the Boss has been phenomenal. These issues while somewhat annoying haven't been showstoppers except possibly in some of the most extreme conditions (95*+ or elevations over 5k ft). I still think they are solvable with relatively minor mods for heavily tracked cars. The fact that we can run competitively with cars costing 50% to 300% more is a better testament to what Ford got right rather than what they missed. Some of this is also due to being owners of the first model year of a Mustang with significantly higher overall performance than any of its predecessors.
+1 Go Ford !
3 weeks till my first track day! I put the Hankook V12's on this weekend to break them in a little.
Old 8/21/11, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cloud9

I totally agree. Not only is it fast for the price, it's fun to drive because of it's balance.
Old 8/21/11, 05:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Jason,
Let us know how the Hankooks work.
Sooner or later I'll need more tires!

Quick Reply: First Boss track day