Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Got My New 2012 Boss 302 Race Red

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/19, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Got My New 2012 Boss 302 Race Red

So I picked up a cherry 2012 Boss 302 in Race Red with only 6k miles and the original Pirelli P-Zero tires. After inspection it comes with the window sticker, all the manuals, the Boss Car Cover, and it had the Recaro Seats option. It also apparently came with a Flow-master Exhaust system, but it kept the side exhaust. When I popped the hood, it has a BBK Throttle Body, and a JLT II Cold Air Intake system on it. When I popped the trunk, it has the original exhaust, the car cover still in the bag, the original air intake, and there is an Engine tuner/programmer Module which I assume goes with the JLT II Air Intake system. Are these three aftermarket options good stuff for this car like the Flow-master, BBK, JLT II, and the Tuner/Programmer?

So, I have done my research, ordered Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ All Season Tires, Weathertech floor mats, Oil, Oil filter, and the cabin filter. I am planning on ordering a Pioneer radio system and radio install kit from Crutchfield so I can get some standard options in the car for my iPod and iPhone to listen to music (yes I know this is a race car and installing a radio is sacreligious), but I need USB connections and Apple Car Play.

I noticed the oil was low for some reason when I got the car home, but I never checked the oil level when I bought the car. So I picked up some 5w50 Motorcraft Synthetic oil and topped it off. Are these engines known for burning oil?

The noise in the car climbing the West Virginia mountains in 6th gear doing about 70-75 is deafening. I have a feeling it is the Flow--master exhaust, but I am not sure. Is it?

So, what else should I be looking for in this car from a maintenance perspective? What else should I be considering for aftermarket options other than the Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket Kit?

Thanks Gang. All grins as I shift through the gears.
Old 3/4/19, 06:41 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
The BBK and Jlt are popular upgrades and should serve you well. The Flow Masters are known for being loud and having deafening drone and certain rpms. You will have to learn what range of rpms cause the drone and shift to stay out of it or change them for something else. The boss did have the exhaust with the dump outs to bypass the mufflers. If the dump outs are wide open the car would be loud. I know that the car only has 6k miles on it, but it is still about 7 years old, so I would look at changing all fluids and start having fun. I would also check the brake pads. I know it only has 6k on the clock, but if it has been tracked at all the pads may be thin. The car should be pretty good the way it is, so I wouldn't start looking at mods until you have some time to learn the car. Then focus mods on correcting characteristics that you do not like in the handling/braking. Good luck on the new ride.
Old 3/4/19, 06:52 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new ride! These cars are a hoot to drive enjoy the heck out of it and post some pics!
Old 3/27/19, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've put about 500 miles on it now, and what a fun car it is.

The car came with both keys and the dealer assured me it had the Track Key software installed. I also found a "Track Key Credit Card" that came with all the paperwork on this car. Alas, I started the car yesterday and ran it with the Track Key and I saw nothing on the dash board say "Track Key Enabled" like it is supposed to or the "Lopey Idle Enabled".

I know I need to inspect the car for the stickers in the gas door and inside the engine bay which means a dealership installed the Track Key software, but I was curious about the PCM Programmer I found in the trunk, and whether or not that could have wiped the Track Key Software from the key or from the car itself somehow when the PO installed the CAI and the BBK Throttle Body, and probably uploaded some of these programming maps from the PCM Programmer?

What are my next steps to check this car for the Ford Track Key Software given the above information?
Old 3/27/19, 05:07 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
More than likely it got overwritten with the other program but I'm certainly no expert here. Ask a tuner that's close by or the name of the current install that you have.