2012-2013 BOSS 302

Fuel needs

Search this Thread

Old 5/15/11, 11:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jerkstore
That is all I could find in the manuals.

Thanks for looking Dan. I would think for advertising rights, Ford would quote the 444hp Boss output with premium (91+) fuel. But I am just guessing. I would be interested in hearing from any program internal forum participant(s) if the engine sensors (be they knock, O2, F/A, etc) can advance engine timing to capitalize on the 93 octane (vs 91) fuel some states (like the Midwest) still market.

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Isn't this how most newer cars adjust for different octanes and haven't they been doing this for years now?

Rick, I believe the answer is yes and I am not sure how long the engine manufacturers have had confidence to rely on the sensors to protect their engines from detonation. Quite a costly warranty risk if the sensor fails to protect.

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
BTW Big Vito is always correct except for when he's wrong. But even when he's wrong he's always correct because he is Big Vito and you don't mess with someone named Big Vito. At least on the Soprano's anyway.

I’ll remember that. Although I’m not scared of that cipher pigeon he keeps using for his posts…..

Originally Posted by LQQK
So, 87 is good for everyday driving and 91 or 91+ would be the way to go for spirited driving??

If, I do half tank with 87 and half with 91 does the octane become 89 or is it more involved than just averaging the #s?
Harley, I believe you are correct on both counts. Use 91+ for spirited/track driving and filling half and half probably does homogenize out to about 89. Back in leaded fuel days you could have probably gone with 25% premium and 75% regular. The TEL even in small concentrations quickly impacted the fuels octane rating. As posted earlier, if you can get non-alcohol blended fuel, that would be best from an energy-density point of view.

Last edited by P0 Corsa; 5/15/11 at 11:57 AM. Reason: mixing up my threads.
Old 5/15/11, 12:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by P0 Corsa

Thanks for looking Dan. I would think for advertising rights, Ford would quote the 444hp Boss output with premium (91+) fuel. But I am just guessing. I would be interested in hearing from any program internal forum participant(s) if the engine sensors (be they knock, O2, F/A, etc) can advance engine timing to capitalize on the 93 octane (vs 91) fuel some states (like the Midwest) still market.

Rick, I believe the answer is yes and I am not sure how long the engine manufacturers have had confidence to rely on the sensors to protect their engines from detonation. Quite a costly warranty risk if the sensor fails to protect.

I'll remember that. Although I'm not scared of that cipher pigeon he keeps using for his posts.....

Harley, I believe you are correct on both counts. Use 91+ for spirited/track driving and filling half and half probably does homogenize out to about 89. Back in leaded fuel days you could have probably gone with 25% premium and 75% regular. The TEL even in small concentrations quickly impacted the fuels octane rating. As posted earlier, if you can get non-alcohol blended fuel, that would be best from an energy-density point of view.
Homing pigeon gonna get you
Old 5/15/11, 01:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud9
Unfortunately no knock sensors on the 07-09 GT500s.
That is insane, I thought eveything had one these days

So, 87 is good for everyday driving and 91 or 91+ would be the way to go for spirited driving??

If, I do half tank with 87 and half with 91 does the octane become 89 or is it more involved than just averaging the #s?
87 would be fine if you are using it as a DD, there is nothing wrong with 87 like a lot of people think. "Super" is not cleaner and "regular" will not clog up your injectors or anything like this or other myths out there. When oil companies say higher octane is better for your car when the car calls for 87 is like tobacco companies saying smoking is actually good for your health.

Even though the Boss manual on second printing is calling for 87, it does state use higher octane on track and with the red key tune.

Back in the day mixing octanes would give you exactly what you asked, in fact stations like Sunoco did exactly that. they have two tanks and mix the gas depending on what you select. The problem today is the ethanol, it does not mix as well as they want to think so you may not get the exact results. I only drive the Boss for fun and use the higher octane, for everything else I use 87.
Old 5/15/11, 02:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

The ability to run alternate octane fuel first appeared on the '08 Bullitt as far as mustangs are concerned. All new Mustangs are supposed to have this technology in place. The exception being the GT500's as their platform was designed prior to the system being developed. I don't know if Ford adopted it for the new Aluminum GT500 block or not, but our BOSS's should definitley have it:
http://wardsauto.com/ar/bullitt_migrate_platforms/
Old 5/15/11, 02:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well it's 60, sunny and dry. I think I'll go burn some of the $4.18 93 E10 I just put in the GT500. The problem is the TVS at 15lbs of boost will burn more of the $300 rear tires than the overpriced high octane fuel :-)
Old 5/15/11, 02:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss

That is insane, I thought eveything had one these days

87 would be fine if you are using it as a DD, there is nothing wrong with 87 like a lot of people think. "Super" is not cleaner and "regular" will not clog up your injectors or anything like this or other myths out there. When oil companies say higher octane is better for your car when the car calls for 87 is like tobacco companies saying smoking is actually good for your health.

Even though the Boss manual on second printing is calling for 87, it does state use higher octane on track and with the red key tune.

Back in the day mixing octanes would give you exactly what you asked, in fact stations like Sunoco did exactly that. they have two tanks and mix the gas depending on what you select. The problem today is the ethanol, it does not mix as well as they want to think so you may not get the exact results. I only drive the Boss for fun and use the higher octane, for everything else I use 87.
That may be true for America however here in Canada supreme is pure gasoline without the ethanol pollution added to it. My car runs far better on it than any other fuel. Chevron and shell seem to perform best.
Old 5/15/11, 02:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Everett
That may be true for America however here in Canada supreme is pure gasoline without the ethanol pollution added to it. My car runs far better on it than any other fuel. Chevron and shell seem to perform best.
Exactly, I was outside the US for years and did not have to deal with the E10 also. One station near me sells pure gas and the sign on the pump says "not for highway use" so I guess the whole world and the US for 80 years were using the wrong fuel.

Stupid stament of the year!

I will go as far as spending the money for 90 pure gas in the F150 but if there was 87 pure gas here I would use that in the truck.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 5/15/11 at 02:40 PM.
Old 5/16/11, 10:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ethanol in gas is such a scam perpetuated by corn lobbyists and moron politicians. Every time it comes up it makes my blood boil. I'm leaving my statement at that to keep myself from going on a rant, but I had to say something.
Old 5/16/11, 02:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by askjeffro
Ethanol in gas is such a scam perpetuated by corn lobbyists and moron politicians. Every time it comes up it makes my blood boil. I'm leaving my statement at that to keep myself from going on a rant, but I had to say something.
Amen brother!!

www.zerofuel.org
Old 5/18/11, 08:51 AM

Personally I run premium. The difference is 20 cents a gallon most places. So it might be $3 more for a fill up. If you can pay for the car you can afford the gas. Don't be a cheap skate. Put good gas in the car. The adaptive timming will adjust and make more power plus it's just better for the car.