Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Ford Quality Control

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/11, 07:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Quality Control

My Boss has developed a scratchy / grinding noise on shifts into second and continuously in second gear. The noise is audible and the vibration is transmitted through the shifter. Thus far I have had severe dash and door rattles, groaning / grunting front suspension, a steady-pitched whistle that seems to be coming from the alternator, and now a possible transmission problem. This is very disappointing for a $41k plus car and my first new American car in 20 years of driving. I hope for the sake of everyone else on this forum (and for American car companies in general) I just got unlucky and this is not typical of Ford qc.

I have a service appointment today and hope these problems can be fixed.
Old 7/25/11, 07:54 AM
V6 Member

I have a noise in the front end of mine but other than that, no issues, I thought ford had come a long way when I purchased my 06 GT but in the 6 years since this is by far the best mustang I have ever owned, the quality is great in my opinion, having worked as a Honda tech for 26 years, I think ford has come a long way, all my Mustangs have always been good reliable cars, just give them a chance to adress your concerns
Old 7/25/11, 12:22 PM

atrain, I hear ya! My front end often feels like it's falling off, the high pitched noise from my rear end is pretty bad and the general quality is lacking (trim piece were I rest my arm on door when window is open bounces up and down like it doesn't fit).

The up side is the power!

I keep reminding myself it's a "race car with AC" but I'm not sure I'm sold.

Things are about to get real interesting as I am getting a low optioned 2011 BMW 1M that I pick up in Munich in Sept. We'll run the Nurburgring before headding home and then I'll have it a month or so after that.

Both cars will be basic, low optioned, track bred cars that are both low production quanity and about same price. Should be interesting to compare fit and finish!
Old 7/25/11, 12:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Feels like it is falling off??!?!
Old 7/25/11, 12:47 PM
V6 Member

I now have over 4,000 mile on my LS and no squeaks, no rattles, thing feels like it was made out of billet. Some of the trim material is not high end but this is supposed to be a bare bones Mustang. Fit and finish is excellent in mine. Cannot say that for the last Corvette I had (C6). This is the third new Ford in a row with 0 issues. I have never had that with any other brand including several Toyota and Honda vehicles. Ford may not be perfect but they sure have stepped it up. Hope your experience gets better.
Old 7/25/11, 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Apollo
I now have over 4,000 mile on my LS and no squeaks, no rattles, thing feels like it was made out of billet. Some of the trim material is not high end but this is supposed to be a bare bones Mustang. Fit and finish is excellent in mine. Cannot say that for the last Corvette I had (C6). This is the third new Ford in a row with 0 issues. I have never had that with any other brand including several Toyota and Honda vehicles. Ford may not be perfect but they sure have stepped it up. Hope your experience gets better.
Glad to hear that your Boss is in good shape. What quarter is your car? I'm just wondering whether my issues are partially due to early-build problems.
Old 7/25/11, 03:02 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by atrain1975
Glad to hear that your Boss is in good shape. What quarter is your car? I'm just wondering whether my issues are partially due to early-build problems.
I honestly don't know what quarter. It is now about two months old and is #148. I had one on order but it has still not materialized so when this opportunity came up I jumped on it.
Old 7/25/11, 10:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oddly my '08 BMW felt flimsy by comparison when I first picked up the Boss, but as the clunks and groans have begun to emerge from the front end, the Bimmer is starting to feel like the newer car now. At least the Ford isn't destroying rubber and rims like the BWM did. I hope the track key and the front end are dealt with soon so the love affair can begin again.
Old 7/26/11, 06:22 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by atrain1975
My Boss has developed a scratchy / grinding noise on shifts into second and continuously in second gear. The noise is audible and the vibration is transmitted through the shifter. Thus far I have had severe dash and door rattles, groaning / grunting front suspension, a steady-pitched whistle that seems to be coming from the alternator, and now a possible transmission problem. This is very disappointing for a $41k plus car and my first new American car in 20 years of driving. I hope for the sake of everyone else on this forum (and for American car companies in general) I just got unlucky and this is not typical of Ford qc.

I have a service appointment today and hope these problems can be fixed.
atrain1975, please mention all of this to your CSM assigned to your case and work with them to get these concerns resolved for you. I want you to fully enjoy your ride again.

Originally Posted by billyboss
I have a noise in the front end of mine but other than that, no issues, I thought ford had come a long way when I purchased my 06 GT but in the 6 years since this is by far the best mustang I have ever owned, the quality is great in my opinion, having worked as a Honda tech for 26 years, I think ford has come a long way, all my Mustangs have always been good reliable cars, just give them a chance to adress your concerns
billyboss, I can escalate this for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so we can get this resolved for you.

Originally Posted by jhall1957
atrain, I hear ya! My front end often feels like it's falling off, the high pitched noise from my rear end is pretty bad and the general quality is lacking (trim piece were I rest my arm on door when window is open bounces up and down like it doesn't fit).

The up side is the power!

I keep reminding myself it's a "race car with AC" but I'm not sure I'm sold.

Things are about to get real interesting as I am getting a low optioned 2011 BMW 1M that I pick up in Munich in Sept. We'll run the Nurburgring before headding home and then I'll have it a month or so after that.

Both cars will be basic, low optioned, track bred cars that are both low production quanity and about same price. Should be interesting to compare fit and finish!
jhall1957, have you made an appointment with your dealer yet? Please let me know so I can reopen your case and get this taken care of.

Deysha
Old 7/26/11, 06:42 AM

I will give this to Ford, it's nice that they have someone scanning the forums!

Deysha, I have not made an appointment yet because, honestly, it's been in for this issue already. I am waiting to hear that something has changed and that either a service bulletin or more info on this systemic problem is discussed.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you don't think this is the correct course of action.

Jeff Hall
jeffhall@hall-insurance.com
Old 7/26/11, 06:58 AM
Cobra Member

I saw the Orange Metallic 1M at the Chicago Auto Show, It was stunning, I was doubting my choice to move forward with the BOSS after seeing it in the flesh, the fit & finish was typical BMW, Enjoy Munich & the 1M (IMO, 'M1' sound's better??)
Old 8/11/11, 07:28 AM

I will give this to Ford, it's nice that they have someone scanning the forums!

Deysha, I have not made an appointment yet because, honestly, it's been in for this issue already. I am waiting to hear that something has changed and that either a service bulletin or more info on this systemic problem is discussed.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you don't think this is the correct course of action.

Jeff Hall
jeffhall@hall-insurance.com
Hey Jeff,

If you are still experiencing any concerns with your vehicle, please make an appointment with your Ford dealer as soon as possible. Then, private message me back so I can reopen your case.

Deysha
Old 8/11/11, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by LQQK

I saw the Orange Metallic 1M at the Chicago Auto Show, It was stunning, I was doubting my choice to move forward with the BOSS after seeing it in the flesh, the fit & finish was typical BMW, Enjoy Munich & the 1M (IMO, 'M1' sound's better??)
LQQK,

In Germany now picking up wife's all wheel drive wagon and got up close and personal with a 1M. It's going to cause me real issues, unless I can figure out how to keep both orange beasts!

The fit and finish of my wagon AND 1M are typical BMW and that is much more refined then Boss. The comfort and features on both BMW's are way better then Boss, but the Boss wins in the cat of sheer power.

I just wish the Boss was better put together and the features were better for the money.
Old 8/11/11, 08:33 AM

I suspect that when I start driving and comparing the two around home, the refinement of the German will make me grab those keys most often, but then when I'm feeling like a bad boy, the Muscle will win out!

Now, I just hope I can figure a way out to keep both!
Old 8/11/11, 09:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Myself and two close buddies picked up LS's withing 10 days of each other. All of us have multiple cars - Japanese, European, etc. (A cocaine addiction would have been WAY more affordable than this new car addiction!)

Anyway, although mileage is still low on all 3 cars, all of us have remarked about the excellent quality. No squeaks, no rattles, no rear end whine, etc. I guess we are lucky (so far).
Old 8/11/11, 03:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Only about 550 miles here so far.

My only complaint on the car is that the lock/unlock buttons on both doors were a little scuffed up. Not sure if that happened at the factory or the dealer. Also not something I care enough about to take the car back in to have changed out.

Everything else is rock solid, love the car. Much better fit, finish, NVH, and ride than my '06.
Old 8/11/11, 04:52 PM
Banned

You are not unlucky.

This is normal for these cars.

You have more flaws to find. Luckily for you the Dealership and Ford will not see or hear the flaws.

Caveat Emptor.
Old 8/12/11, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by 06GT
Everything else is rock solid, love the car. Much better fit, finish, NVH, and ride than my '06.
Happy to hear you are enjoying your new ride 06GT!

Deysha
Old 8/12/11, 03:10 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by guest1234
You are not unlucky.

This is normal for these cars.

You have more flaws to find. Luckily for you the Dealership and Ford will not see or hear the flaws.

Caveat Emptor.
Go home troll.
Old 8/12/11, 10:54 PM
Bullitt Member

My poor, poor, CTS-V. It just sits around now. When I'm grabbing the keys and heading out of the door it's the LS keys I'm reaching for.

Quick Reply: Ford Quality Control