Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Forced Induction on the Boss...thoughts?? Please post

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/11, 06:03 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you are worried about weight onthe front end.... Rear mounted turbo setup... done.... all weight in back on rear wheels..
Old 6/2/11, 06:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShaneGT
if you are worried about weight onthe front end.... Rear mounted turbo setup... done.... all weight in back on rear wheels..
I think weight in general is the concern. An STS turbo setup will probably heavier than a standard kit because of the extra tubing you have to run to the rear of the car.

I'm one for more power also but on this car I think NA is the way to go. I ran my 350Z NA and still ran faster times than guys in GT500s. My last dyno was 282 whp.

I plan on getting an 03-04 Cobra for my power car.
Old 6/2/11, 08:30 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Leo93
Actually the Coyote's 11:1 comp ratio is a great mix. 5.0magazine did a test with a 2.8 KB blower on it and the engine made 650hp and 532lb ft on the dyno with 12psi on stock internals. The gt500 put up 616/539 respectively. The 302 engine with forged internals can easily handle much more power. I'd say anywhere between 750-800 with some turbos with no problem. (coyote went 710/680 on stock and was still given the ok as a DD)

Yes, but HOW LONG will the motor hold up? It's not a matter of what kind of power you can get out of it for a test, it's a question of durability.

I'm sure some folks with look to boost HP on the Boss but I'm on side with those who say leave it as is. I can see doing a tune to improve throttle response but I wouldn't go beyond that.
Old 6/2/11, 08:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
Yes, but HOW LONG will the motor hold up? It's not a matter of what kind of power you can get out of it for a test, it's a question of durability.

I'm sure some folks with look to boost HP on the Boss but I'm on side with those who say leave it as is. I can see doing a tune to improve throttle response but I wouldn't go beyond that.
Exactly this. You can get a ton of power out of this engine, and maybe it lasts you a couple years. But if you're throwing 800hp down, the lifetime of that engine has got to drop some unless you do more work to it.

On the flip side of that, if you're looking to get insane amounts of power out of an engine and don't need the engine to run perfect for the next 50 years. There is no reason you shouldn't try it and make an insane drag car. To each his own!
Old 6/2/11, 01:54 PM
Bullitt Member

There's a whole lotta daylight between 400 and 800 RWHP. The Boss will be seen at drag strips.
Old 6/2/11, 02:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

Are they truly forged? You know like Manley's?

As I remember Ford said 'forged' on the Coyote too, but on deeper reading the rods are still a composite - just had a little extra heat treating.
Good call. And it's the connecting rod that's the weakest link in the rotating assembly isn't it
Old 6/2/11, 02:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

A boosted coyote engine would need a lower cr to still be able to run pump gas. Sure the potential of these motors is unreal but availability of fuel would be the issue. What's the max cr you can have and still run 93 octane
Old 6/2/11, 02:27 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Everett
A boosted coyote engine would need a lower cr to still be able to run pump gas. Sure the potential of these motors is unreal but availability of fuel would be the issue. What's the max cr you can have and still run 93 octane
Hmm not sure. I guess that's the next test
Old 6/2/11, 03:15 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Plus you still have many areas where 91 is max pump gas.
Old 6/2/11, 03:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

Plus you still have many areas where 91 is max pump gas.
Well we can get 94 from only 1 brand of station here and it's ethanol polluted. That coyote is an engineering marvel
Old 6/2/11, 03:33 PM

Well we can get 94 from only 1 brand of station here and it's ethanol polluted. That coyote is an engineering marvel
The only thing that Ethanol is hurting is the MPG (slightly). Otherwise, it has a higher octane rating than gasoline, so it should help prevent detonation.
Old 6/2/11, 04:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud

The only thing that Ethanol is hurting is the MPG (slightly). Otherwise, it has a higher octane rating than gasoline, so it should help prevent detonation.
Sure it's higher octane but ethanol has less energy than gasoline. And the mpgs are hurt more than slightly,and what about the water ethanol absorbs. Ethanol is great as anti-freeze tho,but keep it out of my gas tank
Old 6/2/11, 06:03 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I vote forced induction. Positive displacement type. Twin screw for road racing. I seriously doubt if is gonna weigh 200 lbs either. Maybe 100 total for the setup. A few little suspension tricks and it should kill a stock boss. The GT500 is no way a road racer. Suspension and torque curve is what you need to be concerned with. Max power and traction at the rpms that you need them. Fuel requirements depend on boost levels and tuning. A good dyno tuner can work all those issues out. Subframe connectors will do wonders also.
Old 6/2/11, 06:15 PM

Also. My tuner is an authorized roush dealer. If you go with their kit from an authorized dealer, you still maintain factory warranty. Just my two cents.
Old 6/2/11, 07:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I vote forced induction. Positive displacement type. Twin screw for road racing. I seriously doubt if is gonna weigh 200 lbs either. Maybe 100 total for the setup. A few little suspension tricks and it should kill a stock boss. The GT500 is no way a road racer. Suspension and torque curve is what you need to be concerned with. Max power and traction at the rpms that you need them. Fuel requirements depend on boost levels and tuning. A good dyno tuner can work all those issues out. Subframe connectors will do wonders also.
I read all these threads about guys and how many hp they got. How much of it is useful,there when you need it. A twin screw builds gobs of torque and more street friendly,boost is built very quickly.
Old 6/2/11, 07:09 PM

I read all these threads about guys and how many hp they got. How much of it is useful,there when you need it. A twin screw builds gobs of torque and more street friendly,boost is built very quickly.
Yep. And my hp curve is a straight line. I'm making over 550hp from 2500-6500. That's what is needed for a road racer. Constant hp through the rpm range. Twin screw all day long.
Old 6/2/11, 07:35 PM
Cobra Member

id go centri. and the tranny will go before the internals me thinks. That is the problem with the turbo kits, the torque is so high. i think a vortech or procharger on a boss would rock. there are plenty of passes on the 5.0 now, they are plenty robust. i'd like to see someone dig as much na power out of the car then go blown.
Old 6/2/11, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
... I'm making over 550hp from 2500-6500. ...
You're making 1150 ft-lb of torque at 2500 RPM?
Old 6/2/11, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by BOSS_man

You're making 1150 ft-lb of torque at 2500 RPM?
What? No man. A little over 550. 2500-6500 rpm. Flatline torque curve. Basically just saying that coming out of a curve at 2500, the hp is already there. Not having to wait on peak hp.
Old 6/2/11, 09:01 PM

,and what about the water ethanol absorbs. Ethanol is great as anti-freeze tho
Not sure why thats a bad thing for the gas tank? I'm not arguing with you about energy loss, but aside from that I'm not seeing the negative.

Quick Reply: Forced Induction on the Boss...thoughts?? Please post