Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Forced Induction on the Boss...thoughts?? Please post

Search this Thread

Old 6/1/11, 12:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forced Induction on the Boss...thoughts?? Please post

So with the Boss having factory forged internals who has thought about what forced induction would be like on the Boss?? Turbo, Supercharger, Single, twins, Roots, centrifigal??? And what kind of power do you guys think they could make on the stock block???

I am just wondering because i see how much power the normal Coyote makes, and I think with the Boss forged parts it could make significantly more power.

I personally think a single turbo with low boost (8-10psi) would be perfectly driveable down low and then when the boost hit it would be an animal till 7500 RPM!! I think the car could make over 700 rwhp

So please post your comments below:

Last edited by 12C/OBoss; 6/1/11 at 02:01 PM.
Old 6/1/11, 01:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2006stiguy

I personally think a single turbo with low boost (8-10psi) would be perfectly driveable down low and then when the boost hit it would be an animal till 7500 RPM!! I think the car could make over 700 rwhp

That was going to be my input as well. I see this as a turbo engine all the way. Like one of those high revving rice gnats, except everything is x2.
Old 6/1/11, 01:07 PM

I think you're going to be limited by the stock compression before you will be the internals. Perhaps even on the un-forged Coyote engines. I think they run the same compression, so you'll probably be limited to whatever they are. My guess would be in the mid-500's at the wheels.
Old 6/1/11, 01:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I am not sure, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Coyote and Boss have the same compression ratio. The forged internals will allow the engine to handle power adders a whole heck of a lot better. As far as making more power. If comparing the same amount of "boost" I would expect the improvement to be marginal and credited to the better breathing courtesy of the heads/intake/cams. The forged internals will allow for more boost for sure, but at that high of a compression ratio, it will only be a recipe for disaster. All in all with nominal boost we should see a really reliable strong motor. You didn't mention nitrous, like a 250 shot, I see 9 second e.t.'s
Old 6/1/11, 02:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Brawlin' Boss
I am not sure, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Coyote and Boss have the same compression ratio. The forged internals will allow the engine to handle power adders a whole heck of a lot better. As far as making more power. If comparing the same amount of "boost" I would expect the improvement to be marginal and credited to the better breathing courtesy of the heads/intake/cams. The forged internals will allow for more boost for sure, but at that high of a compression ratio, it will only be a recipe for disaster. All in all with nominal boost we should see a really reliable strong motor. You didn't mention nitrous, like a 250 shot, I see 9 second e.t.'s
I forgot about nitrous as i never had any experience with it...and i'm not sure how the n2o and the roadcourse/autox would be

But 9's for sure
Old 6/1/11, 02:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Brawlin' Boss
A 250 shot. You need a plate system or independent jets for each cylinder
Old 6/1/11, 02:45 PM
Bullitt Member

I know, I know 250 is huge, just messing around. Though I think a 150 shot would be ideal for autocross
Old 6/1/11, 03:36 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006stiguy
So with the Boss having factory forged internals
Are they truly forged? You know like Manley's?

As I remember Ford said 'forged' on the Coyote too, but on deeper reading the rods are still a composite - just had a little extra heat treating.
Old 6/1/11, 04:38 PM
GT Member

Why???????

That's my question. All you'll accomplish is adding extra weight to the nose of the car (disturbing the balance that the suspension was tuned for) and adding heat management issues to a car that could have run all day without losing any HP.

And for what? A few extra HP? No thanks.........
Old 6/1/11, 04:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 66sprint200
Why???????

That's my question. All you'll accomplish is adding extra weight to the nose of the car (disturbing the balance that the suspension was tuned for) and adding heat management issues to a car that could have run all day without losing any HP.

This!
Old 6/1/11, 04:43 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Vito
This!
That!
Old 6/1/11, 04:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

That!
Those!
Old 6/1/11, 04:53 PM

I for one wouldn't undertake the expense and work for a "few extra HP". I guess that term is relative to what someone considers "a few", but I wouldn't qualify an extra 100-150hp as a few. To me, thats a significant boost. I'd take an extra 50-100lbs for 150hp.

Figure you currently have about 8hp per pound on the car. Even at a 100hp gain and 200 lbs of additional weight, you're still significantly improving your power to weight ratio.

Using rounded figures:

3600lbs / 440hp = ~8.18 lbs/hp

3800lbs / 540hp = ~7.03 lbs/hp

Imagine if you could up the HP by 200 and add 100lbs of weight.

3700lbs / 640hp = ~5.78 lbs/hp

May hurt or help your time on the track depending on the course setup. I won't say there aren't trade-offs, as there are. But for certain types of drivers, there could be significant benefits.

Last edited by siggyfreud; 6/1/11 at 04:55 PM.
Old 6/1/11, 05:10 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by 66sprint200
Why???????

This and That.

Reminds me of the song The Choice is Yours by the Black Sheep.
Old 6/1/11, 05:47 PM
Cobra Member

I have considered it. If I did, it would absolutely be a cenrti as I would want to keep the intake manifold.

Better flowing heads + bigger exhaust cams + forged bottom end = big power potential

It would no doubt run deep 10's with sticky tires. My road course buddy curses me any time I mention going FI on the Boss
Old 6/1/11, 06:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I was thinking about one of these. Its a win win. Light weight, inexpensive and easy to maintain.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-E...Q5fAccessories

Old 6/1/11, 07:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
I for one wouldn't undertake the expense and work for a "few extra HP". I guess that term is relative to what someone considers "a few", but I wouldn't qualify an extra 100-150hp as a few. To me, thats a significant boost. I'd take an extra 50-100lbs for 150hp.

Figure you currently have about 8hp per pound on the car. Even at a 100hp gain and 200 lbs of additional weight, you're still significantly improving your power to weight ratio.

Using rounded figures:

3600lbs / 440hp = ~8.18 lbs/hp

3800lbs / 540hp = ~7.03 lbs/hp

Imagine if you could up the HP by 200 and add 100lbs of weight.

3700lbs / 640hp = ~5.78 lbs/hp

May hurt or help your time on the track depending on the course setup. I won't say there aren't trade-offs, as there are. But for certain types of drivers, there could be significant benefits.

It will perhaps benefit a 1/4 mile driver. An extra 100# is always bad on a road course........ Ask how a Mustang with 300 fewer HP can beat my GT500 by more than 3 seconds a lap at Hallett? It's called weight. A completely stripped, caged S197 with a run of the mill 4.6L 3v can run circles around me because he's 500# lighter! Extreme example, I know. But it speaks to the point.

Plus there's still that nasty "heat-soak" thing......

Just my opinion, but if you feel the need for a S/C or turbo, then you're buying the wrong car to begin with.
Old 6/1/11, 08:18 PM
GT Member

I think you're going to be limited by the stock compression before you will be the internals. Perhaps even on the un-forged Coyote engines. I think they run the same compression, so you'll probably be limited to whatever they are. My guess would be in the mid-500's at the wheels.
Actually the Coyote's 11:1 comp ratio is a great mix. 5.0magazine did a test with a 2.8 KB blower on it and the engine made 650hp and 532lb ft on the dyno with 12psi on stock internals. The gt500 put up 616/539 respectively. The 302 engine with forged internals can easily handle much more power. I'd say anywhere between 750-800 with some turbos with no problem. (coyote went 710/680 on stock and was still given the ok as a DD)
Old 6/1/11, 10:34 PM

But at what point are you reaching the limit of pump gas with that boost and high compression? Hard to see 800hp on pump starting at 11:1. Sure, you need less boost to GET there starting at 11:1, but just hard to imagine.
Old 6/1/11, 11:10 PM
GT Member

But at what point are you reaching the limit of pump gas with that boost and high compression? Hard to see 800hp on pump starting at 11:1. Sure, you need less boost to GET there starting at 11:1, but just hard to imagine.
I'm sure you can run at 93 octane and get that high. Ford engineers really did their homework on the new coyote engine. I don't think anyone's come close to even reaching it's full potential

Quick Reply: Forced Induction on the Boss...thoughts?? Please post