Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

First track day

Search this Thread

Old 8/8/11, 10:30 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First track day

My thoughts on my first track day. First off I have tracked multiple times. I track to take my street car on the track for fun. Have not gone with R comps or mods. Do not do any timing and push but not to 10/10's. Probably 8 or 9. Main goal is to have fun and bring the car home. Have tracked audi a4, tt, e46M3, 911 C4S. Main track is Road America and have been there 20 plus times. Was there this past friday with the Northwoods Cobra club. Was impressed with this group and highly recommend them.

1. Engine- awesome-would really pull down the track and was impressed with this. Can't wait to try trackkey!

2.Transmission-fine for the street. Difficult at times getting into 3rd gear. Not much fun charging into turn 5 at 140mph and having difficult getting it into 3rd when shifting down (my heel and toe sucks!). NOt what I want to be worrying about at that point!! Don't know if its just me but was frustrated with this at times.

3. Brakes seemed adequate but feel could be better. Not anywhere as close to feel as my 911 was but probably an unfair comparison. Stopping power was good but somewhat difficult to modulate. For those of you with ss brake lines and rotors/pads how much do those help with this?

4. Overall was very impressed with the car. No issues with overheating (air temps lower 80's) and brakes held up well.

Again I am no Fangio and at best a passable trackie so take my posting with that in mind. Also only my first day at the track with the boss and with time the I will adjust to the car and feel more comfortable with it. Good luck to everyone and feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by kona302; 8/8/11 at 10:33 AM.
Old 8/8/11, 10:43 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Thanks for your impressions. I'm attending Track Attack on Aug. 31st and have my first track day scheduled for Sept. 24th.

What if anything did you do to prep your car for the track? Dot 4, brake cooling ducts, trans cooling scoop, etc?
Old 8/8/11, 10:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kona302
My thoughts on my first track day. First off I have tracked multiple times. I track to take my street car on the track for fun. Have not gone with R comps or mods. Do not do any timing and push but not to 10/10's. Probably 8 or 9. Main goal is to have fun and bring the car home. Have tracked audi a4, tt, e46M3, 911 C4S. Main track is Road America and have been there 20 plus times. Was there this past friday with the Northwoods Cobra club. Was impressed with this group and highly recommend them.

1. Engine- awesome-would really pull down the track and was impressed with this. Can't wait to try trackkey!

2.Transmission-fine for the street. Difficult at times getting into 3rd gear. Not much fun charging into turn 5 at 140mph and having difficult getting it into 3rd when shifting down (my heel and toe sucks!). NOt what I want to be worrying about at that point!! Don't know if its just me but was frustrated with this at times.

3. Brakes seemed adequate but feel could be better. Not anywhere as close to feel as my 911 was but probably an unfair comparison. Stopping power was good but somewhat difficult to modulate. For those of you with ss brake lines and rotors/pads how much do those help with this?

4. Overall was very impressed with the car. No issues with overheating (air temps lower 80's) and brakes held up well.

Again I am no Fangio and at best a passable trackie so take my posting with that in mind. Also only my first day at the track with the boss and with time the I will adjust to the car and feel more comfortable with it. Good luck to everyone and feedback is appreciated.
1. Agree

2. Were you trying to go straight from 5th to 3rd? I found it won't go 5th to 3rd very well either. If you go to 4th, then 3rd, it's no problem, and technically the way you should do it anyway, however there's probably no way you'd get it into first if you misfired.

3. SS lines and DTC 70/60 pads are a huge improvement in pedal feel and stopping power.

4. Shouldn't see any overheating issues until it's at least 90+F
Old 8/8/11, 10:56 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Thanks for your impressions. I'm attending Track Attack on Aug. 31st and have my first track day scheduled for Sept. 24th.

What if anything did you do to prep your car for the track? Dot 4, brake cooling ducts, trans cooling scoop, etc?

Guess that would make sense that I put that in there. I installed the brake cooling ducts and ate dot 4 brake fluid. Will probably eventually install the trans scoop and maybe get a dedicated set of track tires. Would be a first for me.

Let me know what you think of track attack. Will probably go next year. Too much going on to make it this year! I

If you have never tracked I would think twice about it. If you do it once it is going to cost you a lot of money (in brakes pads and tires) and time (at a hot dusty track) over the ensuing years. It is very addictive and a lot of fun. Just don't worry about going fast, concentrate on smooth. The speed will come. Seriously it is a blast. I still remember my first time and it makes me smile!!!
Old 8/8/11, 10:59 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
1. Agree

2. Were you trying to go straight from 5th to 3rd? I found it won't go 5th to 3rd very well either. If you go to 4th, then 3rd, it's no problem, and technically the way you should do it anyway, however there's probably no way you'd get it into first if you misfired.

3. SS lines and DTC 70/60 pads are a huge improvement in pedal feel and stopping power.

4. Shouldn't see any overheating issues until it's at least 90+F

I was going 5th to 4th to 3rd although on occasion did go 5th to 3rd when playing with the brakes and slowing too much! Had no real issues/worries that I was going into 1st though.

Will have to try out the pads and ss lines. Do you recommend changing rotors also (possibly a set just for tracking)? Also good source for the pads and ss lines?

Thanks
Old 8/8/11, 12:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have more experience then I did to start but agree with all. I have had the worst problem with not going into 5th. This weekend I got locked out again, next time it happened I am not sure what snapped in me but I just got pissed and decided to jam it up harder and it went finally went in.

The other times I pulled it back and tried again, by doing this it tells me I was not misaligned or at fault since I just pushed straight up with no side movement.

The track-rats use a different pad but I have been using the Hawk HP+ and it seems to work well for me and the Boss. I drive the same as you had mentioned. I see posts all over the web on how they will wear out in one day, crack, etc - etc. Here are the pics after four track days, two at Sebing and two at PBIR which has some hard braking turns. The rotors look great and the pads still have life in the fronts, rears are like new. Plus I can drive them on the street.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 8/8/11 at 12:42 PM.
Old 8/8/11, 12:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Do you recommend changing rotors also (possibly a set just for tracking)?
Thanks
That's the only way for me after having done it both ways. Keeps them from cross contaminating. I use a very aggressive pad and an expensive two piece rotor for the track though. I've had issues with degraded street braking using the same rotor for track and street with different pads. Given it degraded street braking, it likely degraded track braking as well.
Old 8/8/11, 12:46 PM
Cobra R Member

That's the only way for me after having done it both ways. Keeps them from cross contaminating. I use a very aggressive pad and an expensive two piece rotor for the track though. I've had issues with degraded street braking using the same rotor for track and street with different pads. Given it degraded street braking, it likely degraded track braking as well.
What Gary said but some more food for thought is Mark Wilson from Ford racing told several guys no need to change out the rear pads and rotors. By looking at mine I would say that is fine and saves some money (not that I would question his word).
Old 8/8/11, 12:50 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
You have more experience then I did to start but agree with all. I have had the worst problem with not going into 5th. This weekend I got locked out again, next time it happened I am not sure what snapped in me but I just got pissed and decided to jam it up harder and it went finally went in.

The other times I pulled it back and tried again, by doing this it tells me I was not misaligned or at fault since I just pushed straight up with no side movement.

The track-rats use a different pad but I have been using the Hawk HP+ and it seems to work well for me and the Boss. I drive the same as you had mentioned. I see posts all over the web on how they will wear out in one day, crack, etc - etc. Here are the pics after four track days, two at Sebing and two at PBIR which has some hard braking turns. The rotors look great and the pads still have life in the fronts, rears are like new. Plus I can drive them on the street.

Thanks for the input!
Old 8/8/11, 12:52 PM
V6 Member

Thanks Gary! I think I have some decision to make.
Old 8/8/11, 01:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I would agree with Mark Wilson on the rear brakes, but note the rotors pictured above are not stock Ford rotors which are supplied OE on our car. These appear to be aftermarket units with clearing slots milled into the wear surface.

I have changed my rotors to those used by Cloud9 namely DBA 5000 series (2-piece) on the front and 4000 series on the rear. Pricy for the front and probably did not really need the rears but to be consistent and the price was right (rear rotors) I changed out all four. As a bonus the 5000 rotors are lighter than the OE front rotors.

I too was going to swap out pad/rotor combinations for street/track so as to not cross contaminate but I am very happy with the Hawk DTC-30's on the front and HP+ pads on the rear. This was the recommendation directly from Hawk with my given criteria of wanting to drive the car to the track. On the track they perform very well and am quite pleased with the street performance as well. Occasionally there is some front pad squeel and brake dust is probably a little bit more than the OE, but on my black rims, not that big a deal for me. I am just leaving the DBA/Hawks on for dual use.
Old 8/8/11, 02:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss

did you keep an eye on the clutch pedal during your sifting issues? that is pretty much what my car does only the pedal sticks.
Old 8/8/11, 03:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
did you keep an eye on the clutch pedal during your sifting issues? that is pretty much what my car does only the pedal sticks.
Yea that is another issue I posted about on http://bossmustangsonline.com/ yesterday. The shifting has nothing to do with this as best I can tell.

It happened once. I pulled off to the side and since I had three cars behind me so I do not remember every detail. Best I can remember is it felt half way up and I smelt it burning had just enough power to move over. I pumped it once or twice and it came right back, I did not even head in.

I was at the dealer today and ran into the SM, I told him about it and maybe they can look at it next time I am in. He took it more seriously and told me to bring it in as soon as I can.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 8/8/11 at 03:10 PM.
Old 8/8/11, 06:23 PM
GT Member

Smile Thanks for sharing your track experience!

Hi,
I'm the owner of a real new Boss 302 and really appreciated the post on your first experience on the track with your Boss 302.
I've got limited track experience too, but am looking forward to taking my Boss out to the track and trying it out for the first time.
I'd be real interested in hearing from anyone that has been to the Ford Track School for Boss owners by Salt Lake. What was that like? Any tips?
I haven't signed up for this yet. My car is less than a week old, and I've only got 400 miles on it so far.
Cheers,
Jouster
Old 8/8/11, 06:32 PM
V6 Member

Congrats on your new car! My car just rolled over 1000 miles right outside of the track on my first track day. Enjoy tracking your new car! You will have a ball.