Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Finally got to the track yesterday (videos)

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/11, 12:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got to the track yesterday (videos)

We had a very (very, very, very) hot summer in Texas this year. all of the track days at Eagle Canyon Raceway ended up being cancelled until this weekend. i went up and spent the day on the track for the second time. I moved to the blue group this time, blue can be solo or have an instructor in car. i prefer an instructor since i tend to be inconsistent at this point.

Anyway it was a fun weekend there were some very nice cars on track. A guy brought out his new 458 Italia, still had the dealer plates. He has a paddock at the track and then went and pulled out his f355 challenge car for some laps. After he went around in the challenge car for a few minutes, he hopped into the 458 and took it out on track. He was flying, not afraid to drive the crap out of the car at all. The sound that car made at red line woudl give any car geek wood.

in the blue group there were two arial atom's, a lotus exige and the targa version of that car too (i forget what it is called, Elise?), another mustang, a BMw M3, and a new SRT8 challenger, and a srt 8 charger. the charger was running on slicks (the red car in the vids) i had a lot of fun. ECR is a tighter technical course. The back straight is good for 125ish in my car.

I didnt run my go pro on the first session because i wanted it for the later sessions. it turned out the first session was the most exciting. i left the paddock with two atoms in front of me and the rest of the group behind us. We put some distance on the rest of the group pretty quick and coming around on the second lap the black atom in front of me spun in a corner, i missed him without incident and ended up behind a blue supercharged atom.

First time i have seen one and i didn't think about how hard those cars can brake. i thought for a few seconds i was going to hit the guy going into the corner, he braked really hard and the first thing i knew he was right in front of me going into a corner at the top of a little blind hill on the course. Nailed the brakes hard and my **** checks nearly seized up until he turned in and all was fine. Moral of the story is don't forget when you can stay with light and agile cars in corners and straights, you can't out brake them im a 3800 pound Boss 302. anyway, im a road racing junky now, its such an expensive hobby! Im running all stock here save the long tube headers, catted x, and flowmaster hushpower mufflers. i am on the stock airbox and factory ford tune.

Old 10/9/11, 01:03 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the report and the vids (how did you mount your GoPro?). I haven't been to Eagle Canyon, so it was nice to get a look. If you get hooked, I'm sure I'll see you at some point, here in Texas. I'm more often at Harris Hill Road (San Marcos), Texas World Speedway (College Station), and MSR Houston. I'm hoping to get around a little more often, since that was the whole reason for buying the Boss in the first place.

Anyway, congrats on the quality track time with your car.

Jimmy
Old 10/9/11, 02:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Jimmy, I mount my GoPro with the suction cup mount right to the passenger side dash panel as near to the left edge as possible. Only drawback is cannot get any gauges into the video.
Old 10/9/11, 02:59 PM
Cobra Member

i used the suction cup mount under the windshield. i mount mine as close to center as possible. it was too low in these so you see to much hood.
Old 10/9/11, 07:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power... power... power...

I use one of the stick-on mounts in the center of the dash for my GoPro, I don't mind having it stuck there.

Nice to see another track-enthusiast getting active!
Old 10/10/11, 03:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ronin38
Power... power... power...

I use one of the stick-on mounts in the center of the dash for my GoPro, I don't mind having it stuck there.

Nice to see another track-enthusiast getting active!
Shane, thanks for the videos and agree with above,

Power....power....power.....

The roadrunner engine wants to rev. It likes high rpm and will deliver the power your instructor keeps telling you to apply. Try a lower gear and keep the engine rpms up! It makes a huge difference out of the corners.

And you do appear to be doing a very good job hanging with the others in your blue group! If you can listen to one of Gary's (although granted he is in a group dissimilar than ALL of us) video's.
Old 10/10/11, 04:49 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
Shane, thanks for the videos and agree with above,

Power....power....power.....

The roadrunner engine wants to rev. It likes high rpm and will deliver the power your instructor keeps telling you to apply. Try a lower gear and keep the engine rpms up! It makes a huge difference out of the corners.

And you do appear to be doing a very good job hanging with the others in your blue group! If you can listen to one of Gary's (although granted he is in a group dissimilar than ALL of us) video's.
yeah, i was applying power lol just not as much as he wanted it felt out of control and i didnt realize until the last session that the power is what puts the car back in control. so opposite of what you do on the road. And while improvements are needed, i have to point out that that is me coming up on slower traffic!

Who is Gary? what vids? link?
Old 10/10/11, 06:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Shane, I applaud you for getting out and tracking your car. It is a ball on the track as many have come to appreciate. And too, I realize you are just getting started. Good for you!

The more "seat time" the more comfortable you will feel in the car and it does come slowly as you grow into the car. Even the most experienced driver started out a little intimidated at first. But just keep at it..

I will see if I can locate some of Cloud9's videos.
Old 10/11/11, 10:26 AM
Bullitt Member

good stuff...

thanks for sharing the vids.

you better be intimidated on the track...it's called survival instinct!

re: mods - invest in safety gear first - including brakes - if you're tracking the car.

re: instructors - I'm amazed at what passes for an 'instructor' sometimes - your guy seemed fine...but if you really want to learn I can't recommend strongly enough getting to a real driving school (bondurant, skippy, etc)...I think you'll find that it pays huge dividends.
Old 10/11/11, 11:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Always love me some videos...
Old 10/11/11, 06:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Shane,
Looks like you had a great time.
Power Power Power -- yep, I've heard that a lot too. I attended a 2 day BMW school in June, and that was popular call. I also got Brake brAKE BRAKE!! a couple times too! More power equals faster speeds into the next corner--which affects your braking pattern.
I've only got 7 days of track time, so still have LOTS to learn. As P0 Corsa said, seat time is the best way to spend "upgrade" $$$ (Ok, seat time with a good instructor is the best). That assumes good brakes, fluid, tires, and most likely brake cooling ducts, tranny cooling scoop.
Yes, power just prior to apex helps plant the back wheels.
In smooth and slow, out fast. Way better than in fast wishing you were slower.
What I started feeling on my last couple track days:
Add power smooth, but aggressively just prior to apex.
Push power to where the tires start to barely lose grip--you'll feel it.
Go ahead and push too hard once in a while--you need to push over the edge once in a while to know where it really is (easier said than done).
Congrats on being hooked.