Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Yep I'm an idiot too.
I resemble that quote

Sent from my iPhone using TMS Forum
Old 3/25/11, 07:30 PM

(In regard to comment from Pacettr)

In terms of working with Evolution...it is your car and free to do what you want to do. In terms of putting folks in the two camps you outlined might want to consider other perspectives. Prior to the Boss if you wanted anything other than what Ford programmed you had no choice but to go to aftermarket tuners and I have done that. I am currently running tunes from Evolution, VMP, and Jon Lund on vehicles in the stable so I know the drill. After market tuners are not without their risks, get to aggressive and a tank of bad fuel and you just bought yourself a new engine because Ford will not (and should not) be responsible. If Ford will sell us a more aggressive tune for the Boss and provide a warrenty...I will give them a couple of months and see what it is...does not mean I am idiot or not interested in performance (I have a 800 hp GT500).

If you have been around awhile...there is some history with Evolution and some of their projects....will leave it at that.

Last edited by RaceRedBoss; 3/25/11 at 07:36 PM.
Old 3/25/11, 07:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Big Vito
Awesome! Ford tuned it for me

LOL
Old 3/25/11, 07:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RaceRedBoss
(In regard to comment from Pacettr)

In terms of working with Evolution...it is your car and free to do what you want to do. In terms of putting folks in the two camps you outlined might want to consider other perspectives. Prior to the Boss if you wanted anything other than what Ford programmed you had no choice but to go to aftermarket tuners and I have done that. I am currently running tunes from Evolution, VMP, and Jon Lund on vehicles in the stable so I know the drill. After market tuners are not without their risks, get to aggressive and a tank of bad fuel and you just bought yourself a new engine because Ford will not (and should not) be responsible. If Ford will sell us a more aggressive tune for the Boss and provide a warrenty...I will give them a couple of months and see what it is...does not mean I am idiot or not interested in performance (I have a 800 hp GT500).

If you have been around awhile...there is some history with Evolution and some of their projects....will leave it at that.
Well said!! I had evey one of my cars tuned and most very aggressivly. All faired well... but my Sti didn't

Weak ringlands, flat foot shifting, along with a fuel pressure drop due to not enough fuel in the tank during an autocross and did my motor in Oh well lesson learned...make sure you have AT LEAST 1/2 tank in and STi before all autocrossing and track days!!! LOL The Boss won't be caned, but I will enjoy it!

Last edited by 12C/OBoss; 3/25/11 at 07:46 PM.
Old 3/25/11, 10:42 PM
Cobra Member

Yes Ford has. FRPP Power Pack. CAI, tune, headers?

Weak tune at best.

You obviously have an agenda against Evo. Fair enough. I don't need to know the reasons. I think we are mostly on the same page. I'm just not sure I agree with bashing the op for wanting to get the most from HIS car, as I'm certain we can agree the Track Key won't do. (it will still be awesome)
Old 3/26/11, 06:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PACETTR
Yes Ford has. Weak tune at best.

I'm just not sure I agree with bashing the op for wanting to get the most from HIS car, as I'm certain we can agree the Track Key won't do. (it will still be awesome)
Pacettr-
As I stated above, our opinions differ. (We can all have different opinions....great part of this Forum!)

As RedRaceBoss artfully states, you modify the tune at your own peril. Might be good, however, might be bad and costly as reported above if you autocross with less than a half tank of gas. Why didn't the tuner tell you this before you had to write a check for a new engine? (Answer = He did not have a clue nor did he test for this scenerio.) It's your car and your expense to bear.

And I guess I just CANNOT agree that the Track Key "won't do" or get the most from our Boss or give us a "weak tune". How can you make a statement like that when the Track Key has not been yet released to us owners, we have no idea what 600 engine/vehicle paramaters it alters and no owner has tried the production reflash version yet to see how the tune transforms our cars?

Again, sorry, our opinions differ.....

Last edited by P0 Corsa; 3/26/11 at 06:22 AM.
Old 3/26/11, 06:31 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
Pacettr-
As I stated above, our opinions differ. (We can all have different opinions....great part of this Forum!)

As RedRaceBoss artfully states, you modify the tune at your own peril. Might be good, however, might be bad and costly as reported above if you autocross with less than a half tank of gas. Why didn't the tuner tell you this before you had to write a check for a new engine? (Answer = He did not have a clue nor did he test for this scenerio.) It's your car and your expense to bear.

And I guess I just CANNOT agree that the Track Key "won't do" or get the most from our Boss or give us a "weak tune". How can you make a statement like that when the Track Key has not been yet released to us owners, we have no idea what 600 engine/vehicle paramaters it alters and no owner has tried the production reflash version yet to see how the tune transforms our cars?

Again, sorry, our opinions differ.....
Differing opinions are great, but you claim to know too much about tuning to believe the Track Key tune will provide optimum performance. You should know better.

Read my previous post about Ford tuning for the idiots (remember that factory warranty?)

Last edited by PACETTR; 3/26/11 at 08:38 AM.
Old 3/26/11, 08:26 AM
GT Member

Sti, what are they doing to the intake?, When you removed the Disc's. is it as easy as remove the bolts, slide out, replace the bolts. No other gaskets or spacers?

Ron
Old 3/26/11, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Locke62
Sti, what are they doing to the intake?, When you removed the Disc's. is it as easy as remove the bolts, slide out, replace the bolts. No other gaskets or spacers?

Ron

Ron,

I respectfully can't comment on the hard parts or the specifics of the tune as of yet As far as the exhaust disc it's as easy as this!

1. Grab your 15mm socket wrench
2. Remove bolt in rocker near outlet and drop outlet down
3. Remove 2 15mm bolts holding remain pipe on flange and remove disc
4. Reinstall exhaust in reverse of above
5. Start car and be careful not to drool listening to the awesome sound!
Old 3/26/11, 12:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2006stiguy

Ron,

I respectfully can't comment on the hard parts or the specifics of the tune as of yet As far as the exhaust disc it's as easy as this!

1. Grab your 15mm socket wrench
2. Remove bolt in rocker near outlet and drop outlet down
3. Remove 2 15mm bolts holding remain pipe on flange and remove disc
4. Reinstall exhaust in reverse of above
5. Start car and be careful not to drool listening to the awesome sound!
Could you give us hints on the soft parts or general tune

Old 3/26/11, 12:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I wish!!! Updates next week ASAP

Last edited by 12C/OBoss; 3/26/11 at 12:27 PM.
Old 3/26/11, 12:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Everything so far has been delayed are you sure it's that soon

Old 3/27/11, 08:35 AM
GT Member

What does anyone think about making the hole bigger on the disc 's instead of taking them out. Just in case you want a little louder sound and removal is too loud. Do u think it would work or would the metal get too weak with removal.
Old 3/27/11, 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

What does anyone think about making the hole bigger on the disc 's instead of taking them out. Just in case you want a little louder sound and removal is too loud. Do u think it would work or would the metal get too weak with removal.
S197, who worked in developing the car - and I think the exhaust in particular - suggested to me drilling the hole to 1/2 inch for a compromise between stock and wide open. I'm still going commando, though.
Old 3/27/11, 08:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by atrain1975
S197, who worked in developing the car - and I think the exhaust in particular - suggested to me drilling the hole to 1/2 inch for a compromise between stock and wide open. I'm still going commando, though.
I can make them at work if you guys want...once I can get an actual dimension and thickness of how everything is set up for the disc. The steel doesn't look to be anything special, but maybe it is. For something as thin as those look, it shouldn't be that big of a deal, and having a precision laser at work makes it nice That way you can at least retain the stock disc if it's ever needed
Old 3/27/11, 08:55 AM
GT Member

Removal is not too loud for me at all and I live in a quiet country neighborhood. I just make sure I'm not romping on her when I turn down our road.
Old 3/27/11, 09:06 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Since they look easy to remove I'll remove mine first. If it's too loud for me then I'll start drilling out the hole until I reach my personal preference on the sound. This is a really cool feature that everyone can tune to their personal taste. Nice job Ford.
Old 3/27/11, 09:06 AM
Cobra Member

Question

I want to Black out the rear of the mufflers (not pipes), I feel they draw your eye to them. Is there a good paint on the market that will not fade or peel from the heat?

Old 3/27/11, 09:08 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by LQQK
I want to Black out the rear of the mufflers (not pipes), I feel they draw your eye to them. Is there a good paint on the market that will not fade or peel from the heat?
Excellent idea.
Old 3/27/11, 11:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LQQK
Dupli-Color Engine Paint or Krylon Engine Paint, matte black.

Quick Reply: Exhaust!