Dyno Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 6/20/12, 02:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06GT

Don't need any more power

Need less weight
Yep. Now to find stuff up front we can toss over the side of the boat.
Old 6/20/12, 03:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't need any more power
That phrase as rare as, "Her ***** are too big."
Old 6/20/12, 03:05 PM
GT Member

Never enough power! Stock Boss motors make right about 395-400 SAE corrected RWHP on DynoJets at sea level. My GT made 369 stock and now makes 433 SAE with Boss intake, Steeda CAI, Brenspeed 93 octane tune, American Racing 1 7/8" long tubes and 3" catted x pipe plus Corsa Sport mufflers. I am sure with similar mods a Boss motor will make 450 easy. That is near on 500 flywheel horsepower, pretty good specific output for an under square American V8 turning 7500 rpm. Turn 8000 which I think the forged Boss is capable of and another 50 is there for the taking.
Hope some of you guys take the plunge and post results.
Steve
Old 6/20/12, 03:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by steveespo
Never enough power! Stock Boss motors make right about 395-400 SAE corrected RWHP on DynoJets at sea level. My GT made 369 stock and now makes 433 SAE with Boss intake, Steeda CAI, Brenspeed 93 octane tune, American Racing 1 7/8" long tubes and 3" catted x pipe plus Corsa Sport mufflers. I am sure with similar mods a Boss motor will make 450 easy. That is near on 500 flywheel horsepower, pretty good specific output for an under square American V8 turning 7500 rpm. Turn 8000 which I think the forged Boss is capable of and another 50 is there for the taking.
Hope some of you guys take the plunge and post results.
Steve
It's tentatively on this year's winter mod list.....I'm just waiting for someone else to guinea pig this one.
Old 6/20/12, 03:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mods are SLP long tub headers w/high flow cats and X-pipe,
Steeda cold air intake and 170 degree thermostat.

The results at the dyno were 413 rwhp and 389 rwtq.

http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/...nt=TheDyno.mp4
Attached Thumbnails Dyno Numbers-results.jpg  
Old 6/20/12, 04:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I made 398rwhp 365 rwtq SAE corrected on a Dynojet stock with no discs and axle backs. As hard as I run my car on track I'd like to see bigger gains versus the tradeoff for durability....seems Ford didn't leave a ton on the table. If I could get TK with the rear O2s shut off and an O/R H pipe I'd be a pig in mud.

Last edited by cloud9; 6/20/12 at 04:09 PM.
Old 6/20/12, 05:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud9
Yep. Now to find stuff up front we can toss over the side of the boat.
Amen.

Goal is to lighten the car up as much as possible, car will sit right on the power-to-weight bubble for ST2 and/or AI classes once she's gutted and caged next year. Any more power and I'll be going over class power-to-weight limits. Car is great stock.
Old 6/20/12, 05:51 PM

If I could get TK with the rear O2s shut off and an O/R H pipe I'd be a pig in mud.
Also this, although I'd like to get some cat delete pipes for the stock BOSS side-exhaust H.
Old 6/20/12, 08:35 PM
GT Member

Guys forget the track key and unleash your boss motors with a tune and headers/x pipe which are lighter than stock headers and cats.
Steeda has done some good work as well as Brenspeed. For guys like us that track our cars Ford is not going to warranty your engines or drivelines anyway. If you feel that reliability of the stock setup and tune is what you want then I understand, but Ford did leave power on the table and that power is bottled up on the exhaust side. Boss cars have higher lift exhaust cams but still have the same relatively restrictive exhaust path. There is also some power to be had with fuel mapping and timing. Eventually I will be replacing my base Coyote motor with a Boss crate motor and will install it with all of my current mods, including the 85mm BBK throttle body I didn't mention. Just would like to see what our community can do with the Road Runner.

Again I am not advocating anyone doing something they aren't comfortable with, no disrespect intended.
Steve
Old 6/21/12, 03:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

Guys forget the track key and unleash your boss motors with a tune and headers/x pipe which are lighter than stock headers and cats.
Steeda has done some good work as well as Brenspeed. For guys like us that track our cars Ford is not going to warranty your engines or drivelines anyway. If you feel that reliability of the stock setup and tune is what you want then I understand, but Ford did leave power on the table and that power is bottled up on the exhaust side. Boss cars have higher lift exhaust cams but still have the same relatively restrictive exhaust path. There is also some power to be had with fuel mapping and timing. Eventually I will be replacing my base Coyote motor with a Boss crate motor and will install it with all of my current mods, including the 85mm BBK throttle body I didn't mention. Just would like to see what our community can do with the Road Runner.

Again I am not advocating anyone doing something they aren't comfortable with, no disrespect intended.
Steve
Steve:

I've been in contact with Brenspeed about my 2013 Boss. The gentleman at Brenspeed, Chandler, advised me to stick with the Track key because they do not have tunes for the Boss engine. Furthermore, he felt it was unlikely that they would have tunes in the near future....because they are located in a very rural area and don't have access to any Boss 302 equiped cars.

I can tell you I was really disappointed to hear that Brenspeed didn't have tuning options available. It would have been exciting to see what they came up with.

Good Luck,

Wayne
Old 6/21/12, 07:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Steve
Steve I'm all for finding more power for my Boss to close the gap on Z06s and GT3s, but I'm just not convinced I've seen noticable gains being put to the ground yet. A friend of mine has a very similar setup to yours on his 2011 GT. He has the Boss intake, Steeda CAI, tune, Corsa X , factory cats and axle backs, but no headers....yet (they're going in now). We were at BIR a few weeks ago and I was surprised he couldn't pull my stock Boss down the mile long straightaway.....we basically ran neck and neck. It would be great if you could find another Boss to test this against next time you're at the track. At least we'd know if dyno #s are translating into real world differences on the track.

To me dumping the cats for track use is a no-brainer and appears to yield 20-25 hp and a good "bang for the buck" without adding strain to the engine. I'm afraid mine are going to end up in a melted gumball just running TK on the track over time, but maybe not

Here's an excerpt from TracKey that I found interesting. The real question is did Ford improve real world track performance with TK tuning without increasing peak hp/tq?

"From Ford Racing...

I hear slight "pinging" on engine acceleration from low speed. Should I be alarmed?
• TracKey alters the ignition timing and knock sensor calibrations taking full
advantage of premium fuel to deliver the maximum torque and throttle response
available from the engine. Some slight "pinging" on acceleration from low engine
speed may be audible initially but should rapidly subside."

Last edited by cloud9; 6/21/12 at 07:17 AM.
Old 6/21/12, 10:42 AM

"From Ford Racing...

I hear slight "pinging" on engine acceleration from low speed. Should I be alarmed?
• TracKey alters the ignition timing and knock sensor calibrations taking full
advantage of premium fuel to deliver the maximum torque and throttle response
available from the engine. Some slight "pinging" on acceleration from low engine
speed may be audible initially but should rapidly subside."
I encountered this when I did my TK dyno--the engine will ping if you go WOT below 3000 RPM. On the track, this is irrelevant; on the street, it just means you need to exercise care not to lug the car if you're planning on driving aggressively. Despite no peak HP increase, TK defintely works on the track.
Old 6/21/12, 10:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Well I have been quiet on the subject of mods, but as far as the tuning and power left on the table, stevespo, is spot on. Ford left a lot on the table. I first did a CAI, then Longtubes with cats and that was great for mid to upper seat of the pants power increase. I got my tune a few weeks later and Wo!, The power increase was borderline ridiculous. I have had many Vette's, F-body's, etc... The power increase from just MAIL-ORDER!! was incredible. The car drives like a criminal, real agressive response. I allowed a customer of mine who has a Boss with track key to drive mine and he nearly crapped is pants when he stabbed the throttle, it is a different car after an agressive tune. I got the Jon Lund 93 octane race tune. I also opted for the additional 100 octane race tune but I have never used it.
Old 6/21/12, 01:10 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

This is really a risk reward analysis. Everyone has their own risk tollerance level and will proceed accordingly. For me the reward isn't there until after my warranty is up. Although I'm amazed how quickly I became familiar with 444 HP.
Old 6/21/12, 07:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

if i still had my Boss or when i own another i would do the folowing:

13 mm FRPP intake cams
Cobra Jet intake
90 MM FRPP Throttlebody
Custom Ground 13MM lift but higher duration exhaust cams
Stand alone engine management with 9000 RPM capability
E85 and 72lb injectors
L and M Custom 12.75-13/1 pistons
"Real" forged I beam rods (not powder forged)
Full length American Racing headers with X pipe and full 3 in catback
Full balance and blueprinted

Powerband would be 4000-8400 with over rev to 9000 RPM
500-535 RWHP on a Mustang Dyno and 350-375 RWTQ

This...my friends would be a SICK Roadrunner!

Last edited by 12C/OBoss; 6/21/12 at 07:18 PM.
Old 6/21/12, 08:00 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Would Lund or Steeda be able to get a Ghost Cam Tune for a Boss that is heavily modded? I know it is just basically playing with the VCT at idle but would it possible to do it with a modded car, such as one with LT's, intake cams, CAI etc.

Originally Posted by 12C/OBoss
if i still had my Boss or when i own another i would do the folowing:

13 mm FRPP intake cams
Cobra Jet intake
90 MM FRPP Throttlebody
Custom Ground 13MM lift but higher duration exhaust cams
Stand alone engine management with 9000 RPM capability
E85 and 72lb injectors
L and M Custom 12.75-13/1 pistons
"Real" forged I beam rods (not powder forged)
Full length American Racing headers with X pipe and full 3 in catback
Full balance and blueprinted

Powerband would be 4000-8400 with over rev to 9000 RPM
500-535 RWHP on a Mustang Dyno and 350-375 RWTQ

This...my friends would be a SICK Roadrunner!

For me if the rumors of 600-700 HP on the N/A CJ are true then I think that is what I will be modeling my engine after
Old 6/21/12, 09:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ford20
Would Lund or Steeda be able to get a Ghost Cam Tune for a Boss that is heavily modded? I know it is just basically playing with the VCT at idle but would it possible to do it with a modded car, such as one with LT's, intake cams, CAI etc.

Just PM me when you are ready and i may be able to help
Old 6/21/12, 09:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by 12C/OBoss
Just PM me when you are ready and i may be able to help
I know that Ken and Jon tune some of the fastest 5.0s out there and they have a rock solid reputation on S197 and here and through the Mustang boards, their tunes are really great from what I hear and the Ghost Cam tune from what I have heard sounds insane, not to mention they supposedly tune the cars for safety which is a huge plus!

Not that Steeda doesn't do the same because their products and customer service are top notch as well, just a hard decision to make and I am sure with either tune I would be a happy camper lol
Old 6/22/12, 06:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=58424.0

I think that this is pretty interesting.
Old 6/22/12, 10:09 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by dean_acheson
http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=58424.0

I think that this is pretty interesting.
Car sounds wicked and sounds good up to 8200. I hope he posts the dyno graphs

Quick Reply: Dyno Numbers