2012-2013 BOSS 302

Decisions.... Storage for 2 yrs or sell?

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/11, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found out today that the tour will most likely be for 15 months.
Still, I'm leaning towards ditching the car, as much as it pains me. If I decide to go that route, I want to do it sooner rather than later. Won't be looking to make anything off of it, just make the pay off.

SD GT, thanks sir! I'd almost gotten to that point where things were becoming stale being here so long, and due to color vision, my cross training opportunities have always been limited, so I was hoping one day I'd be picked up for a special duty or geographically separated job like this, so I am considering it a blessing.

Corey, maybe I'll get Ramstein and meet you on the 'ring with a 2013 GT500.
Old 12/5/11, 07:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever you decide to do... I hope you enjoy Spain. Me myself, I would store the Boss or bring it over, its the best mustang ever built IMHO. ;-)
Old 12/6/11, 12:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Rich,

You would enjoy the hell out of the Boss in Spain. Lots of tracks to hit up plus many others in nearby countries. There is no reason you shouldnt be able to take it. We send people there all the time and whether its one year or three they are authorized a POV shipment.

Hell, if anything ship it over and then sell it. I had one of the French Army guys here tell me I could get like 90,000 Euro for the Boss in France.
Old 12/6/11, 02:41 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by black_bullitt
Found out today that the tour will most likely be for 15 months.
Still, I'm leaning towards ditching the car, as much as it pains me. If I decide to go that route, I want to do it sooner rather than later. Won't be looking to make anything off of it, just make the pay off.

SD GT, thanks sir! I'd almost gotten to that point where things were becoming stale being here so long, and due to color vision, my cross training opportunities have always been limited, so I was hoping one day I'd be picked up for a special duty or geographically separated job like this, so I am considering it a blessing.

Corey, maybe I'll get Ramstein and meet you on the 'ring with a 2013 GT500.
if you decide to sell ping me, i have a friend that is looking to upgrade from a caddy V to a boss for his track car. he is hot for a used boss at a good price.
Old 12/6/11, 04:28 AM
Cobra Member

Rich I will deff kick you in the junk if you sell it lol.
Old 12/6/11, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Zoldier
Rich,

You would enjoy the hell out of the Boss in Spain. Lots of tracks to hit up plus many others in nearby countries. There is no reason you shouldnt be able to take it. We send people there all the time and whether its one year or three they are authorized a POV shipment.

Hell, if anything ship it over and then sell it. I had one of the French Army guys here tell me I could get like 90,000 Euro for the Boss in France.
The way our transportation works is, if it's a short tour (which this will be), it doesn't qualify for a vehicle shipment. The gov't would still be on tap to pay for storage for me while I was gone, but that'd be in one of their approved storage facilities where they could have access to the car, yada yada, not interested in that. Honestly, the biggest factor is the making payments while not driving it. I did that for 2 years with the Bullitt while it was broken and that pained me to no end.

As for the other idea, though, what are the regs on bringing a US spec vehicle to Europe, or Spain, specifically? I used to work for a contractor that shipped all US service member's vehicles back to the states and I remember the cost for conversion from Euro to US spec was right around the $14k mark. I never learned what the costs were to go from US to Euro because it never came up from that end. I guess I need to figure out what the customs processes are and the costs of the conversions before I can make a decision, then try to get a fix on what interest there'd be from prospective buyers there. Maybe I could bring the car, drive it for a year, then sell it right before I leave. Of course, even that is dependant on what the insurance rates will be like over there.
Old 12/6/11, 11:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Are you Army? Cus a short tour doesnt necessarily mean no POV. I send people to Turkey for a year and they are authorized POV shipment. If there is any question you can look into the Joint Federal Travel Regulation (JFTR). It applies to all branches.

Theres not really any specific regs when it comes to shipping vehicles overseas other than the JFTR. Some countries, like Bahrain (IIRC) dont allow any tint whatsoever. So you might have little things that apply like that. We had a guy get orders for there and we had to inspect his vehicle to make sure he didnt have tint before cutting his orders.

When we ship our cars overseas the local governmnet doesnt really deal with it. We do all of our registration and inspections on base. As long as it makes it thru customs its pretty much a done deal. And the only thing required for that is the title and registration along with a letter from the bank authorizing you to take it out of the States.

Do you know what unit you're going to? I'm with NATO so you might fall under my BN if you're Army.
Old 12/6/11, 11:54 PM
Bullitt Member

BTW, insurance is high over here. I was paying almost $5000 a year. The trick is to get a second car (Beater) which will lower your premium. Mine went down about $1200 I think. So now I'm paying $3800ish. But, COLA in Spain is the second highest in Europe. I believe its around $1500 a month depending on your rank. So it evens out.
Old 12/8/11, 03:21 AM

I'm Air Force, and will be going to Moron. Until I get my actual RIP and see what entitlements I have, I don't know 100% that I can't bring the car, but so far, having given my transportation folks a location and expected tour length, they're saying I wouldn't be authorized a shipment.
I used to work for a German company that was contracted by the Army to ship service members' cars back to the states back when I was a dependent living with my parents, so I'm somewhat familiar with what it takes to get cars back to the states. But I never had to deal with getting them in country. I still have a contact from my days with the shipping company though, so I'm having her look into what it would take to get the car there, and get it to clear customs, etc.
For insurance, I called USAA and they gave me a quote that's only $20/mo higher than what I'm paying now.
Old 12/8/11, 04:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by black_bullitt
I'm Air Force, and will be going to Moron. Until I get my actual RIP and see what entitlements I have, I don't know 100% that I can't bring the car, but so far, having given my transportation folks a location and expected tour length, they're saying I wouldn't be authorized a shipment.
I used to work for a German company that was contracted by the Army to ship service members' cars back to the states back when I was a dependent living with my parents, so I'm somewhat familiar with what it takes to get cars back to the states. But I never had to deal with getting them in country. I still have a contact from my days with the shipping company though, so I'm having her look into what it would take to get the car there, and get it to clear customs, etc.
For insurance, I called USAA and they gave me a quote that's only $20/mo higher than what I'm paying now.
****. Really? I'm getting raped in Italy. Supposedly it goes down quite a bit after the first year if you dont have any incidents. But still. Hopefully everything works out for you and you decide to keep it. It's a blast. If you do bring it over we'll have to have a little Boss meet. You'll be in Spain, I'm in Italy and Boss 1409 is in Germany. Driving on the highways here is a lot more fun than back home.
Old 12/8/11, 02:22 PM
INKY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are not authorized to ship a vehicle over at government cost you should still be able to get paperwork from the customs office to avoid that cost if you ship it yourself. I shipped the Boss over at my cost and it was pretty simple to get the customs stuff done. I will ask around and see if I can find any info for Spain.

* Found some more information on the Portal. The Newcomer's/Sponsor letter talks about shipping a POV, I would imagine that would mean you can get a document from customs to exempt you from import taxes and such if you ship it yourself.

Last edited by Boss 1409; 12/8/11 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Found more info!
Old 12/8/11, 04:52 PM
Cobra Member

****. Really? I'm getting raped in Italy. Supposedly it goes down quite a bit after the first year if you dont have any incidents. But still. Hopefully everything works out for you and you decide to keep it. It's a blast. If you do bring it over we'll have to have a little Boss meet. You'll be in Spain, I'm in Italy and Boss 1409 is in Germany. Driving on the highways here is a lot more fun than back home.

I'll be in Germany in 2013 as well.
Old 12/8/11, 05:09 PM
INKY

Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
I'll be in Germany in 2013 as well.
Taking the reigns as I leave in 2013!
Old 12/8/11, 05:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Boss 1409
Taking the reigns as I leave in 2013!
Man I hope we can meet up with both Boss' before you leave!
Old 12/8/11, 08:33 PM
INKY

Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
Man I hope we can meet up with both Boss' before you leave!
Yes, have to make sure that happens. Probably won't ship mine until July and I will need a last trip to the Ring!
Old 12/8/11, 11:38 PM

Oh yes, I remember how fun they are! One of the best driving experiences of my life to this day is still back when I took an Audi 165-170mph on the Autobahn. Fastest I've ever driven, and it was an absolute blast.
Old 12/9/11, 01:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Boss 1409
Yes, have to make sure that happens. Probably won't ship mine until July and I will need a last trip to the Ring!
We need to work out a Stelvio Pass get together. I'm down to go to the Ring too.
Old 12/9/11, 04:43 AM
Cobra Member

We need to work out a Stelvio Pass get together. I'm down to go to the Ring too.
When do you leave Italy?
Old 12/9/11, 07:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Scheduled for August 2014. But I'm working a Germany assignment from here.
Old 12/9/11, 10:33 AM
Cobra Member

Word

Quick Reply: Decisions.... Storage for 2 yrs or sell?