2012-2013 BOSS 302

Decisions.... Storage for 2 yrs or sell?

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/11, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Decisions.... Storage for 2 yrs or sell?

Just got notified yesterday that I have a pending assignment to Spain. Stoked about going back to Europe (spent 9 years total in Spain & Germany as a military brat before enlisting), but all early indications are that I won't be able to bring a vehicle. Sucks double bad because I JUST finished building my Bullitt after being down for 3.5 yrs and having gone through the motions of selling it more than once, now I've potentially got to store it for 2 more years and it hasn't even been on a dyno yet to see what the new combo makes.
As for the BOSS, it's my dream car, I love it to death. But from a financial standpoint, it doesn't make sense to be making payments on something I won't be able to even see for those 2 years.

What would you guys do if you were in my situation?
Old 12/2/11, 06:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have no debt on vehicles I'd just sit on it all for now...I mean it's not hurting or costing anything to sit....unless you have to put it in storage and I'm not sure about you, but I heard that there's a storage program the air force has for your vehicle and they care for it and crank it every so often....I'd wait until you got back and then make a move...by then some new bodies will be coming out and it'll be an easier decision...Also you don't want to have a BRAND NEW car waiting for you when you get home and before you drive it one time it's already considered old news.....that's just what I'd do..
Old 12/2/11, 06:46 PM
Cobra Member

the obvious answer here is have the car sent over too.
Old 12/2/11, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by ShaneM
the obvious answer here is have the car sent over too.
If I get the option, that will be my first choice!
But from what I'm hearing so far, it's a location/duration that doesn't qualify for a vehicle shipment.

Of course, if I do my 2 years there and get a follow on to Germany, it'd definitely be coming over to do some time on the 'ring and autobahn!
Old 12/2/11, 07:39 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Sell your Boss. As great of a car as it is it's just a car and can be replaced. Enjoy your assignment in Spain and make sure you take your fly rod with you.
Old 12/2/11, 08:01 PM

Sell. You can buy the same thing back for less in the future, and in 2 years won't there be a new model that blows the old away?
Old 12/2/11, 08:10 PM
Cobra Member

the 13 boss isn't an improvement in all opinions, certainly not blowing away the 12. the flip side is get them to spring one way and then sell it. a couple in my local club were in Germany for 3 years, they could have sold their stangs for way more money than they were worth here. i bet you could make a mint selling your boss over there after two years and buy a new one at home. hard to believe 2 years isn't ling enough for a car.
Old 12/2/11, 08:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by bluesun
Sell. You can buy the same thing back for less in the future, and in 2 years won't there be a new model that blows the old away?
This is what I'm thinking. Your Boss is never going to be worth more than it is now (unless it's at some point you're too old to enjoy it or dead) so sell it. The way Ford's cranking out better and better Stangs every year, you're going to want one when you get back. If for some reason they don't you'll still be able to pick up a 3 year old low mileage Boss for less than it's selling for now. Low mileage GT500s that were bought for $60k (ADM) in 2007 were selling for $35k three years later.
Old 12/2/11, 08:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sell it, buy same model in two years at depreciated market cost.
Old 12/2/11, 09:04 PM
Bullitt Member

based on used car values, you can sell the thing and buy it back from the guy in 2 years for half the price, lol.

that will also give you a chance to see what the 2015 Mustang brings too (coming in 2 years...)
Old 12/2/11, 09:45 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by black_bullitt
But from what I'm hearing so far, it's a location/duration that doesn't qualify for a vehicle shipment.

Of course, if I do my 2 years there and get a follow on to Germany, it'd definitely be coming over to do some time on the 'ring and autobahn!
I just sold my Pantera to a buyer in Holland and the vehicle brought all the money.

Whether or not the government pays to have your car shipped, do it anyway. My educated guess is that a Boss would bring a lot of money overseas.

Last edited by four-walling; 12/3/11 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12/2/11, 09:49 PM
JPC
Bullitt Member

Answer this question:
which new car have you (except Shane M) owned that went up in value after 2 years?
Old 12/3/11, 03:22 AM
Bullitt Member

You should be able to take the car. I have one of my company headquarters in Madrid and just went TDY to inspect them. I'd take it if I were you. Do you know where they are talking about sending you? We are closing a lot of locations there pretty soon.
Old 12/3/11, 05:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sell it. No reason to make payments on something for two years. Enjoy the **** out of it until you are gone, and then drive to a carmax and have them offer stupid money for the car!
Old 12/3/11, 05:58 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JPC
Answer this question:
which new car have you (except Shane M) owned that went up in value after 2 years?
Pontiac G8 got $5000 over what I paid for it
Old 12/3/11, 07:42 AM
DFV
Bullitt Member

When I came back from four years in Europe, I brought back an old MG that I had purchased abroad. Seems to me like the shipping was only a thousand dollars or so. I didn't have to pay customs duties once it arrived because of US law. Have you checked out the possibility of shipping your Boss to Spain? Remember to check the laws concerning importing new vehicles and customs duties. Maybe the military have a special law that applies to its members, it's worth a call to the JAG office before you go.
Old 12/3/11, 09:55 AM
Bullitt Member

We can ship one vehicle with no fees. To include registration. There are very few duty assignments that don't authorize vehicle shipment. Spain is not one of them so he shouldn't have an issue.

I think you'll enjoy the car even more overseas. People look at mine like we look at Bugatti or anything along those lines. The track day last weekend had ferrari's and porsche's there and mine was the one that got mobbed when I arrived. It's a blast.
Old 12/4/11, 06:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to hear the Boss can't go with.
I'd lean toward selling, since 2 years of payments would not make sense from a financial standpoint. And you'd most likely need to pay for storage, and keep it insured.

Must be nice getting stationed overseas. I spend almost 21 years in the Air Force, and was never stationed outside the Central Time Zone. Matter of fact, my assignments were never more than a 3 hour drive from I-29 or I-35. But I've flown around the world a couple times, spent several months south of the equator, and got to go to a few fun places along the way.

Best of luck on your decision.
Old 12/5/11, 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Ship it over.....whether it is at the military or your own expense.
Old 12/5/11, 08:59 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by black_bullitt

Store it for 2 years, get orders to Spangdahlem and join me on the 'Ring. Simple as that. I wouldnt want to sell this car because its the best throw back car Ford has made. It's stuck to it's heritage and is overall bad ***.

Quick Reply: Decisions.... Storage for 2 yrs or sell?