Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

cooling ducts

Search this Thread

Old 4/25/11, 12:14 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cooling ducts

Has anyone install the brake cooling ducts? They don't look like any big deal but seems to be taking my dealer a long time.
Old 4/25/11, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have them sitting in my den but haven't even looked to see what it'd take to install them.
How much is the dealer charging for the install?
Old 4/25/11, 01:19 PM
GT Member

I had to purchase my LS out of state and the trans cooler and Brake cooling ducts did not show until about a week after I left. We arranged for the dealer near me to install them. Now Ford pays the dealer (how much no one knows) to install them so the 1st dealer is going to pay the second dealer. You know it's not much so since I did not buy the car from them (they don't qualify for any Bosses) I told service I would pay what ever extra they thought it was worth because I didn't feel they should get burned. I was wondering because they have had it almost all day inside. Seems too long to me.
Old 4/25/11, 04:19 PM
DFV
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BossLS
I was wondering because they have had it almost all day inside. Seems too long to me.
Your mechanic. . . does he. . .

Look anything like this guy?

or this other guy?

Last edited by DFV; 4/25/11 at 04:24 PM.
Old 4/25/11, 04:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

My dealer mechanic installed the brake ducts, basically said no big deal except for the passenger side - there was something large in the way (washer bottle???)

He had it all done in a few hours. He also likes working on projects like these...
Old 4/25/11, 06:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by BossLS
I had to purchase my LS out of state and the trans cooler and Brake cooling ducts did not show until about a week after I left. We arranged for the dealer near me to install them. Now Ford pays the dealer (how much no one knows) to install them so the 1st dealer is going to pay the second dealer. You know it's not much so since I did not buy the car from them (they don't qualify for any Bosses) I told service I would pay what ever extra they thought it was worth because I didn't feel they should get burned. I was wondering because they have had it almost all day inside. Seems too long to me.
It's not a very clean install unfortunately. There are a number of plastic pieces that need to be trimmed away and one shield on the driver's side that needs to be removed or trimmed. The fog mount on the passenger side has to be trimmed back to get by the washer bottle. It took my dealer and I a couple hours on a lift. Oh and the hose won't go over the ducts that attach by the rotor without removing a couple wires. The hoses won't stay on the inlet ducts without adding some tape to get it to grab because without it the hose clamp slides right off when you start tightening it down. To top it off I noticed the passenger side was popped off this morning because there was too much extra hose forcing it out so had to run it back and put it on the lift and shorten the hose.

I read on another forum that the dealer gets reimbursed $110 to install it. If that's correct, your dealer's not going to be happy with that I'm sure.

Last edited by cloud9; 4/25/11 at 06:06 PM.
Old 4/25/11, 07:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
It's not a very clean install unfortunately. There are a number of plastic pieces that need to be trimmed away and one shield on the driver's side that needs to be removed or trimmed. The fog mount on the passenger side has to be trimmed back to get by the washer bottle. It took my dealer and I a couple hours on a lift. Oh and the hose won't go over the ducts that attach by the rotor without removing a couple wires. The hoses won't stay on the inlet ducts without adding some tape to get it to grab because without it the hose clamp slides right off when you start tightening it down. To top it off I noticed the passenger side was popped off this morning because there was too much extra hose forcing it out so had to run it back and put it on the lift and shorten the hose.

I read on another forum that the dealer gets reimbursed $110 to install it. If that's correct, your dealer's not going to be happy with that I'm sure.
I wish I had a lift so I could take pictures of my install for comparison purposes - My mechanic said nothing about trimming or removing panels, etc. His only comment was the washer bottle. The LS kit came with new fog lamp insert pieces, so the originals didn't have to be cut.
Old 4/25/11, 07:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 1FAFP90
I wish I had a lift so I could take pictures of my install for comparison purposes - My mechanic said nothing about trimming or removing panels, etc. His only comment was the washer bottle. The LS kit came with new fog lamp insert pieces, so the originals didn't have to be cut.
I'd be curious to see it as well. 4pipes (Dave) said he had to trim the same spots as I did. The fog lamp inserts do come with the kit. It's the mounting points (if you were putting in a fog light) behind those that block the hose on the passenger side due to the washer bottle. I don't see how he got it by there without crimping the hose which would limit airflow.

Last edited by cloud9; 4/25/11 at 07:32 PM.
Old 4/25/11, 10:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's correct, my install was exactly as you described it. One other nugget, when my dealer did some other service for me, I asked him to inspect my job. He said it was great, but where the tire can rub, they shaped the duct into a vertical oval cross section. This gained much more tire clearance and didn't sacrifice any flow.