Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Checking in + future plans for the BOSS

Search this Thread

Old 1/28/15, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Checking in + future plans for the BOSS

Greetings everybody,

I took a bit of a hiatus from forum life for a while, and gotta say, the resulting impacts on my life have been pretty sweet. (I got my shi* together! lol)

Moved from Spain (amazing experience) back to the good ole USofA (sunny FL, to boot), bought my first house, and got a new girlfriend. (She loves the BOSS almost as much as me... maybe more. Or maybe she likes the BOSS more than she likes me... always a possibility... lol)
Anyways, soon as I start getting comfortable in my new digs/skin, BAM, hit with a deployment.

So now I sit downrange doing a great deal of thinking. I arrived in theater having given myself 3 options for post-deployment automotive fun, and an undisclosed amount of time to explore them in detail.

1) Order a new GT350.
2) Trade in my old F-150 for a used Raptor.
3) Modify the BOSS

1) I perused the leaked GT350 order guide and spec'd out exactly what I would want; base model with Track Package in Avalanche Gray w/ black stripes, a la Eleanor from GI60S. Ballparking the pricing somewhere between the BOSS and GT500, let's call it $50K.

2) Did some quick searching for used Raptors. Apparently they are holding their value really, really well. Was looking to spend maybe $30-35K, and all I can find are trucks with 50-80K miles on them already. And I've seen enough YouTube videos to know that those were probably some very hard miles in some cases.

3) Modify the BOSS. I did what I always do when shopping parts; created a spreadsheet (attached). With 12-15 tabs open at a time, I found parts numbers and started comparing prices. In my mind, the end goal would be taking my base model BOSS to a moderately elevated but conservative level, by way of full exhaust, the CJ intake/cam swap I've been seeing pop up on my FaceBook feed, and suspension/exterior bits a la 302S. I say conservative because, with exception of the exhaust, all parts on the wish list are found on other factory Mustangs.

After seeing an image of what my BOSS would potentially look like in 302S form (pic attached), I think I am sold on going this route.
I would like to ask you guys what you think of the parts list, and, having an idea of what my intent would be, if you see any areas where I could refine this plan, please chime in! I'm sure I'm overlooking something somewhere.

As she sits right now, tucked away in storage (pic attached), she has <20K miles and is bone stock + TraKey tuned. (And will be paid off by the time I return.)

Just thinking about this stuff gets me excited! What are yall's thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Checking in + future plans for the BOSS-b302s.jpg   Checking in + future plans for the BOSS-bga.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: xls
BOSS Wish List.xls (183.5 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by black_bullitt; 1/28/15 at 10:40 PM.
Old 1/28/15, 10:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
The modded Boss looks pretty sweet, but I personally would not mod a stock Boss except to correct glaring problems, like if you had shifting problems for example. The Boss is just too desirable as it is.

I don't love the Raptor, so it's hard for me to choose that route. They are just too expensive for what they are, but I have to admit I don't appreciate an overpowered truck as much as an overpowered car.

That pretty much leaves only one ... And if you have a Boss and a GT350, well, that's some serious Mustang cred right there.
Old 1/28/15, 11:51 PM
GT Member

I have a 2012 Boss lightly modded (trackey, forgestars, lowered on T springs) and intend on modding the Boss very similar to you. In my opinion it's not a mod, but rather, an upgrade if you're getting 302S or 302R parts.

I also have a 2013 Raptor fully loaded as my daily driver. I love this truck. It is the most comfortable car I've ever owned, and we've had BMW's, Audis, Porsche and Mercs. I LOVE this truck it is fun to drive, can haul toys, go off-road, transport my german shepherd, and do all the outdoor stuff we love. It also is surprisingly easy to drive and can handle like a sedan. I don't love the gas mileage, and it can be a pita to park.

That said, I have a lust for the Boss that can't be explained. My wife and I were just talking about how if we could only keep one her CLA45 and the raptor would be gone, and the Boss would stay. It really is such a charismatic car.

The GT350 looks great also, and I'm sure will perform amazing, but the Boss has so much soul. I don't know if the GT350 will be able to duplicate the intangibles. I could see myself maybe getting one to add to the collection but the Boss will always be the girl I can't get enough of.

So if it were me, knowing what I know about the raptor and seeing your choices, I would mod the Boss to your liking. The gt350 will probably be hard to get without paying above msrp which is a poor financial decision. Don't get the raptor unless you need the utility, have lots of space to park, and don't mind a slower vehicle with worse gas mileage than your current car.

Last edited by Johnny5alive; 1/28/15 at 11:57 PM.
Old 1/29/15, 01:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the amount of modification you are looking at doing here I would encourage you to go with reputable, well established after market companies like Steeda & Kenny Brown...especially for suspension mods. These guys know what works through good engineering and race proven results. Not to knock Ford Racing parts but there is a reason why the winning teams in Mustangs don't have show room stock 302S&R's.

All the cosmetic stuff is totally up to you...but if you care about resale on the car I would encourage you to think hard about irreversible changes. If your like me I want to be able to put my car back to stock and have it be a perfect lasting example that will be hopefully worth some $$$ when im old and gray.
Old 1/29/15, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
...That pretty much leaves only one ... And if you have a Boss and a GT350, well, that's some serious Mustang cred right there.
ha, roger that. I've got a Bullitt, too. Though admittedly, trying to sell it (for the 4th time).

Originally Posted by Johnny5alive
...In my opinion it's not a mod, but rather, an upgrade if you're getting 302S or 302R parts.
So if it were me, knowing what I know about the raptor and seeing your choices, I would mod the Boss to your liking. The gt350 will probably be hard to get without paying above msrp which is a poor financial decision. Don't get the raptor unless you need the utility, have lots of space to park, and don't mind a slower vehicle with worse gas mileage than your current car.
I like the way you think; 'upgrade' vs 'mod'. And that's how I am looking at it.
I agree with everything you said, by the way. Another issue I would foresee in having both the BOSS and the GT350 is the terrible dilemma that would ensue in having to decide which one to drive whenever I got the itch!

Originally Posted by ConeBoss
For the amount of modification you are looking at doing here I would encourage you to go with reputable, well established after market companies like Steeda & Kenny Brown...especially for suspension mods. These guys know what works through good engineering and race proven results. Not to knock Ford Racing parts but there is a reason why the winning teams in Mustangs don't have show room stock 302S&R's.
I appreciate that, and I did look at KB specifically when shopping parts. I just don't think a $9K or $14K suspension kit fits into my goals with the car. I'm not going to be competing at those levels where that kind of suspension is necessary or cost worthy. My intent is light-moderate 'upgrades' as noted above, and I'm fine with the idea of having hand-me-down parts from the CJ/B302S big brothers.
Originally Posted by ConeBoss
All the cosmetic stuff is totally up to you...but if you care about resale on the car I would encourage you to think hard about irreversible changes. If your like me I want to be able to put my car back to stock and have it be a perfect lasting example that will be hopefully worth some $$$ when im old and gray.
For a while, resale has been a factor in the back of my mind, but I am realizing, after having stored the BOSS for 2 years while stationed overseas, and now looking at another (undisclosed amount of time) while deployed, I figure I might as well start enjoying it when I have the chance.
As for the irreversible changes, I have a feeling that 40 years from now when these cars start rolling across the auction blocks at Mecum and B-J, these types of modifications aren't going to deflate their value too much. I imagine it'll be one of those things that the commenters say "this was a very popular set of modifications among BOSS 302 owners of the time, and one that used factory Ford Racing parts from the supply bin".
Old 1/31/15, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by black_bullitt
Just thinking about this stuff gets me excited! What are yall's thoughts?
I couldn't help but smile at the Excel spreadsheet...I do the same thing planning my mods

My $.02

1) GT350? If you can swing it, get one (it's going to be amazing)

2) Raptor? Completely different type of vehicle so I won't bother commenting on it other than to say to keep in mind that the 2017 Raptor will be out soon

3) Mod the Boss? Really depends on you. All the mods you have listed will still not get you close to the performance of a Boss 302R/S or a GT350. Those cars have significantly improved braking, cooling and suspension systems. However, this may not matter to you. If you really like your Boss, intend to keep it for a long time and these mods will create the perfect Mustang FOR YOU, then go for it
Old 2/1/15, 09:43 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by black_bullitt
As for the irreversible changes, I have a feeling that 40 years from now when these cars start rolling across the auction blocks at Mecum and B-J, these types of modifications aren't going to deflate their value too much. I imagine it'll be one of those things that the commenters say "this was a very popular set of modifications among BOSS 302 owners of the time, and one that used factory Ford Racing parts from the supply bin".
I couldnt agree more. The only thing that has me concerned is the commenters. That would be about an 8 year old kid today but 40 years later
We know how todays generation thinks..... Changing times .

So the moral of the story is:
Make your kids eat drink and think...Blue Oval Muscel