Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

CHECK ENGINE light blinking...What's up with that?

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/11, 02:24 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Right. But his was blinking. It's not a small issue. When its blinking damage is a big possibility.
Old 9/18/11, 02:31 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I got money on a lean condition. Post O2 sensors. Cats not working. The reason no track key yet.
Old 9/18/11, 02:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I got money on a lean condition. Post O2 sensors. Cats not working. The reason no track key yet.

I agree with this. Engine is probably running lean. If it is then it's not good to drive it on the highway as the engine is only getting minimum fuel to operate. I wouldn't be running the motor at over 3k RPM. Take it to your dealer asap.
Old 9/18/11, 02:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can tell you with 100% certainty that the Boss can throw a flashing CEL, clear itself and not retain a code in the PCM. I actually own a Boss and have experienced this no less than four times. Thank you for your opinion though.
Old 9/18/11, 02:55 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud9
I can tell you with 100% certainty that the Boss can throw a flashing CEL, clear itself and not retain a code in the PCM. I actually own a Boss and have experienced this no less than four times. Thank you for your opinion though.
If that is the case there is a real problem somewheres. It's designed to save the dtc's and freeze frame failure records. it's interesting for sure.
Old 9/18/11, 02:58 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Not an opinion. You might have been scanning for pending codes. Not all scanners can pick up memory codes. And there a few things that will cause the pcm to clear its own codes. But most likely he will have a memory code.
Old 9/18/11, 03:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
Not an opinion. You might have been scanning for pending codes. Not all scanners can pick up memory codes. And there a few things that will cause the pcm to clear its own codes. But most likely he will have a memory code.
I even had the dealer scan it and they couldn't pull it up. There is an issue in the street tune causing phantom misfire codes. It generally only surfaces under track conditions. Vibrations from the rear wheels going over curbing or skittering across the track are being transmitted through the driveline into the crankshaft. The crankshaft position sensor is mistakenly interpreting it as a misfire. If there is still a code present (most likely but not certain), I would be willing to bet it is a P03xx (most likely a P0300). The tuning logic in TracKey eliminates this issue, which is probably why we don’t have a fix yet. Unfortunately we all know where we sit with TK.

I have also had a flashing CEL in an overheating condition where ECT (CHT) exceeded 250F. Once the engine cooled a few seconds later limp mode went off along with the flashing CEL. Scanning produced no DTC.

Last edited by cloud9; 9/18/11 at 03:25 PM.
Old 9/18/11, 03:35 PM
Bullitt Member

OK, so I'm getting ready to leave for home................
I'll look for the OBD Device at home and then post. I'll take it easy on the way home.
Old 9/18/11, 04:21 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

I even had the dealer scan it and they couldn't pull it up. There is an issue in the street tune causing phantom misfire codes. It generally only surfaces under track conditions. Vibrations from the rear wheels going over curbing or skittering across the track are being transmitted through the driveline into the crankshaft. The crankshaft position sensor is mistakenly interpreting it as a misfire. If there is still a code present (most likely but not certain), I would be willing to bet it is a P03xx (most likely a P0300). The tuning logic in TracKey eliminates this issue, which is probably why we don't have a fix yet. Unfortunately we all know where we sit with TK.

I have also had a flashing CEL in an overheating condition where ECT (CHT) exceeded 250F. Once the engine cooled a few seconds later limp mode went off along with the flashing CEL. Scanning produced no DTC.
Just FYI. Crank sensor does not detect missfires. So the logic behind your statement sounds good but it is not possible.
Old 9/18/11, 04:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
for christsake..not another turned into a pissing match I'm smarter than you are thread
Old 9/18/11, 04:39 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
for christsake..not another turned into a pissing match I'm smarter than you are thread
Just trying to get him pointed in the right direction? What's your problem?
Old 9/18/11, 04:42 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Charlie I think the flashing yellow light was a warning that you aren't driving the car hard enough.

Seriously if there is a real issue the car should go into limp mode to keep you from doing any damage.
Old 9/18/11, 05:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by texastboneking
Just trying to get him pointed in the right direction? What's your problem?
That this is gonna turn into another MT-82 transmission thread with constant back and forth between a few people.

Try doing your "pointed in the right direction" in a PM so the rest of us don't have to be subjected to it... What's your problem?
Old 9/18/11, 05:06 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB

That this is gonna turn into another MT-82 transmission thread with constant back and forth between a few people.

Try doing your "pointed in the right direction" in a PM so the rest of us don't have to be subjected to it... What's your problem?
My problem is you just immediately assume I'm just trying to have a Pissing contest. I'm trying to keep false info out of a thread. So take your assumptions elsewhere.
Old 9/18/11, 05:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yea I just made all of that up
Old 9/18/11, 05:52 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Yea I just made all of that up
You or someone that told you that did.
Old 9/18/11, 05:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by chief_charlie
OK, so I'm getting ready to leave for home................
I'll look for the OBD Device at home and then post. I'll take it easy on the way home.
Safe travels Charlie
Old 9/18/11, 06:08 PM
Cobra Member

Yup, my Boss did that this week. It through a 0300 and when it went in for service there was no record of it.
Old 9/18/11, 06:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jza1736
Yup, my Boss did that this week. It through a 0300 and when it went in for service there was no record of it.
Happened to me also but who you gonna believe, a bunch of guys that actually had it happen or someone that knows all Beside I find it hard to trust a bunch of guys that try to look cool by posting avatars of there car on the track

It is just not worth it guys, on second thought I should have just stayed out

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 9/18/11 at 06:43 PM.
Old 9/18/11, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

In simple terms, a flashing MIL indicates that the vehicle's PCM is detecting a catalyst damaging event. The most common cause would be a misfire. During a misfire, raw unburned fuel is being dump into the catalytic converter. The CAT, then burns this excess fuel (doing its job), raising the internal temperature of the CAT beyond normal, which destroys the internal substrate inside the CAT. An overheating engine can also cause this due to the same reasoning, overheating the CAT with hotter than normal exhaust gas temps. Being that the CAT is a very expensive repair that the factory has to warranty for 8yr/80,000 miles, the factory does not want you to drive the vehicle with the MIL flashing for any type of extended time. Normal CAT temps run from anywheres between 800 and 1500 degrees Far. As far as the PCM monitoring misfires, it use crank and cam signals to detect misfires. For anyone that would like more info on Fords OBDII system, just go to http://www.motorcraftservice.com . A lot of good free info there, including owners manuals and OBD theory.

Quick Reply: CHECK ENGINE light blinking...What's up with that?