Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Central Florida Boss Track Day

Search this Thread

Old 5/29/12, 08:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK Sports Fans heres a lap of yours truly.

I rented a SmartyCam and think one is in my future.

I had a great weekend and ran a personnel best. I'm thinking another 4-6 seconds are to be found I just need to stay on the lines, step up and drive a little harder at the next event.

Old 5/29/12, 11:26 PM
Calgon Take Me Away!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by redfirevert06
Being my first time out on a track, I had a great time at the event this weekend. Can't wait to get the pics from the event photographer.
I left after the monsoon came on Sunday. I wasn't willing to wait it out for the
chance at one more session, plus I was soaked.

Can't wait to do it again!
I loved it
I missed the monsoon! Left sat. Night after the banquet. I probably took photos of your car too lol
Old 5/29/12, 11:26 PM
Calgon Take Me Away!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anybody see that Z06 blow up??!!
Old 5/30/12, 09:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GT_350
OK Sports Fans heres a lap of yours truly.

I rented a SmartyCam and think one is in my future.

I had a great weekend and ran a personnel best. I'm thinking another 4-6 seconds are to be found I just need to stay on the lines, step up and drive a little harder at the next event.
Nice! very clean and smooth.

if you are looking for feedback to help drop some time at Sebring, here's my 2 cents.

you are definitely using the safe lines around the track, and you can easily carry more speed through all of the corners. To do this, I would turn it a bit earlier and more progressively at 1, 3, 7, 10 and 13, and trail brake. Also, use all of the track, (you paid for it!) , at turn 1 your track out point should be the curbing on the right side of the track where all of the dirt is, at turn 10 you can run a little bit further out without compromising the run through 11 and 12, and turn 13 has a TON of positive camber through it at the apex; use it and turn it earlier. Once you do 13 right you'll feel how fast it can be, and you'll gain a good amount of time through that section of the track. Everyone and their mother takes 17 differently, but I can say you are scrubbing off too much speed, and braking a bit too early. This is how I went through 17 in my heavy *** CTS-V, and still run it in my Miata; dab of brakes in the braking zone, turn in so your mirror almost kisses the corner worker, straighten out a bit and brake again (but not too much, you can carry a good amount of speed through 17), then turn in where the two white lines intersect (usually a cone to the left) and you should be on the throttle by the time you go under the bridge, and track out all the way to the left so you can carry that speed through the corner.

This video should help explain the lines, turn in points, and track out points that I just described. This is me in my 90 Miata, stock 99 Miata engine w/ just open exhaust, koni shocks, cheap lowering springs, and worn out RA1s, running a 2:47:

Hope some of this helps!
Old 5/30/12, 10:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Scott where were you this weekend? I figured you would stop by.

I agree on 13, but it takes time to get use to. Turn 17 is like Bishop's Bend you can go as fast as you nerve lets you. I found what you said works well but I tend to over brake the first brake zone. Had a friend stop by and he keeps telling me to get right up on the wall exiting also.

I did like Doug's line in turn one and have heard many people say come out over the two black blocks in the pavement at the end of the turn then continue tracking out to the right before the curbing ends. I was shooting for this but over-steered the turn more times then I can count last weekend in one.

There is a big dip at the first braking cone for turn two on the right edge. I do not remember it being as rough before (maybe I was slower?). I was trying to stay a half a car width left entering that brake zone. Also did you see the tire stack at 7, that is throwing a lot of people off. I came very close to losing a mirror a few times. Many people were turing late but I don't see that as the answer. The only reason I can see for it is to protect the corner worker but it is far from the wall they are behind
Old 5/31/12, 09:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Scott where were you this weekend? I figured you would stop by.

I agree on 13, but it takes time to get use to. Turn 17 is like Bishop's Bend you can go as fast as you nerve lets you. I found what you said works well but I tend to over brake the first brake zone. Had a friend stop by and he keeps telling me to get right up on the wall exiting also.

I did like Doug's line in turn one and have heard many people say come out over the two black blocks in the pavement at the end of the turn then continue tracking out to the right before the curbing ends. I was shooting for this but over-steered the turn more times then I can count last weekend in one.

There is a big dip at the first braking cone for turn two on the right edge. I do not remember it being as rough before (maybe I was slower?). I was trying to stay a half a car width left entering that brake zone. Also did you see the tire stack at 7, that is throwing a lot of people off. I came very close to losing a mirror a few times. Many people were turing late but I don't see that as the answer. The only reason I can see for it is to protect the corner worker but it is far from the wall they are behind
it was actually my wife and i's first wedding anniversary last weekend, so she would have killed me if i drug her to the track, lol.

yeah, try 13 at a slower speed, but turn in at the second to last braking zone marker, get down into the turn next to the apex, and you will feel how much camber is there. the speed will come with time.

everyone and their mother takes 17 differently. A guy a race with in SCCA ignores the first braking zone; he just turns in, then threshhold brakes, lol.

In my opinion, he turned in a bit late at 1. Now, that is definitely the safe way around the track, and all of the lines look good, but if you want more speed, you will have to turn in a little earlier, turn in progressively, trailbrake, and use up ALL of the track by getting on the exit curbing on the right.

Yeah, 7 is a bit sketchy now, and I've almost touched the tires with my right mirror a few times, lol. I don't know why they didn't take it down after the ALMS race.... I think the placement of those tires is what is making people turn in a little late.
Old 6/1/12, 01:25 PM
GT Member

Ahh Turn 17 I feather and turn in, scare the corner worker at the wall no brakes necessary and probably no need to feather the throttle. . Then threshold brake just before the corner station. It has taken me several years to grow the Man Bearings to do it that way. I do this in both my GT3 and Boss both of which are on street tires.

Peter

Last edited by OLOABoss; 6/1/12 at 01:28 PM.
Old 6/1/12, 02:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by OLOABoss
Ahh Turn 17 I feather and turn in, scare the corner worker at the wall no brakes necessary and probably no need to feather the throttle. . Then threshold brake just before the corner station. It has taken me several years to grow the Man Bearings to do it that way. I do this in both my GT3 and Boss both of which are on street tires.

Peter
Old 6/3/12, 08:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For anyone who attended you can get pics from Bob here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bargainbobspics/sets/

Name:  SebringTG.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  240.1 KB
Name:  SebringTG1.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  124.8 KB
Name:  SebringTG2.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  120.5 KB
Name:  SebringTG3.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  133.4 KB
Name:  SebringTG4.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  97.8 KB
Old 6/5/12, 03:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lalayla
Anybody see that Z06 blow up??!!
Well, not sure if I had anything to do with it but, I was on that Z06 like white on rice and he was pushing it very hard. He was all over TMS Tedd in his red Boss. We were all running very hard and very close. After turn 16 he noticed a problem and he moved over out of line let me by on the Ulmann straight and he blew up just as I passed him. It was a huge fireball from under the car. The whole rear was completely torched.
This is not the first Z06 that has blown up like that on the track. I have heard that it has something to do with the dry sump and lack of oiling.
His day ended in very dramatic fashion. TMS Tedd and I had front a front row seat.

Last edited by fastduo; 6/5/12 at 04:15 PM.
Old 6/5/12, 04:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was another great event by Track Guys. Very well run and very safe. I had the pleasure to meet some new friends and see some that I hadn't seen in a while. I instructed Rob Jorge in the LS Boss and had a great time. By Sunday he was ripping it up with the best of them. Great work "Roberto"!!!!