2012-2013 BOSS 302

Cat Deletes? I Need First-Hand Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/13, 09:28 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat Deletes? I Need First-Hand Opinions

Ok, I'm really giving this some serious consideration:

I'm thinking about Steeda or Jegs Cat Deletes. I know about inspection issues and I can deal with that.

I've got TracKey, but I could just go with other tunes, etc... I'm looking for those who are currently running with the Cat Delete Pipes.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks.
Old 4/29/13, 09:34 PM
GT Member

First off you will need an aftermarket tune for the cat deletes.

I did the Jegs cat delete pipes and open baffles. Way to loud for my taste. I was surprised how much the cats quiet the car down. So, put the baffles in and it sounded better but reminded me of a car with an exhaust leak. Especially when I was driving next to someone. I thought about just closing up the baffles altogether, but I figured if I am gonna do that, I might as well go with a different H pipe for better flow. I went with the Lethal off road H, $299 shipped and I sold the Jegs pipes to a friend for $100. I also did 2013 GT500 mufflers. I LOVE the sound now. Perfect IMO. Quiet when just driving around but really sings when you open it up. Nice deep clean sound. Not raspy.
Old 4/29/13, 09:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jaywoo

I did the Jegs cat delete pipes and open baffles. Way to loud for my taste. I was surprised how much the cats quiet the car down. So, put the baffles in and it sounded better but reminded me of a car with an exhaust leak. Especially when I was driving next to someone. I thought about just closing up the baffles altogether, but I figured if I am gonna do that, I might as well go with a different H pipe for better flow. I went with the Lethal off road H, $299 shipped and I sold the Jegs pipes to a friend for $100. I also did 2013 GT500 mufflers. I LOVE the sound now. Perfect IMO. Quiet when just driving around but really sings when you open it up. Nice deep clean sound. Not raspy.
Thanks; did the Lethal O/R H pipe have cats? I couldn't find it on website. I was thinking about an MRT catted H pipe.

Planning on AED tunes
Old 4/29/13, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by jaywoo
To get rid of the code thrown and CEL light I agree. However, I thought it has been discussed around here alot that the wideband sensors compensate AF ratio very well and a tune isn't necessary.
Old 4/29/13, 10:11 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BadBoss1930
To get rid of the code thrown and CEL light I agree. However, I thought it has been discussed around here alot that the wideband sensors compensate AF ratio very well and a tune isn't necessary.
I'm sure it was but, I'm not that knowledgable about some of this stuff and I may not have looked in the right place.

I'm just an old hot rod driver, who pays the guys with tools, etc...

However, much to my wife's surprise; I installed the Redline Hood Struts; the Cool Tech Sound Delete Tube; Adjusted the MGW shifter reverse lock out pin myself.

ps. it's her idea to get the Boss louder !!
Old 4/29/13, 11:17 PM
GT Member

The Lethal pipe didn't have cats.

Part of what the post cat O2 sensors do is check for over/under temp. When you take out the cats the computer thinks that the car is in an over temp situation and it will start adding extra fuel to cool off the car. You'll be running really rich with that.

At least that's how it was explained to me anyway.
Old 4/30/13, 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

I am using the Steeda Cat deletes with a Flowmaster Cat Back. Jaywoo is right, it will be much louder. Sound meters under WOT read 97db at 50 ft with my set up. Not sure if you have sound laws in your neck of the woods but removing the cats will definitely get you some additional attention.

Loudness aside I get compliments non-stop on how bad *** the car sounds now.

Also, just assume you will get a CEL if you do not get a custom tune. I'd bet money it would happen in short order after the install.
Old 4/30/13, 02:00 PM
GT Member

ConeBoss

Sound is not an issue; we like them loud in Texas. One of my sons-in-law has a 09 CTSV with 800 RWHP and no cats; it's a beast.

Anyway, I'll go with an AED tune.

Thanks for input. It's all good.
Old 4/30/13, 02:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had an off road pipe with borla stingers on my 3v .

The sound was louuuuuud but it was great on the streets.. After driving it on the highway though it got really annoying.

I put the cats back on and like it a lot better now. No more headache on the highway
Old 4/30/13, 09:37 PM

So i am looking into this too. I have read that you can install the cat deletes by themselves, but you will most definitely through CEL codes relating to catalytic converter inefficiencies... In many other cars, this problem is mitigated by the use of "spark plug de-foulers" as a spacer between the O2 sensor and the exhaust stream. The defouler basically acts as a buffer that places the O2 sensor in a more lean environment. I believe this will approach could get rid of the CEL for cat efficiency... But i feel there will be no way to tell if the car is running rich... without the cats, it will smell rich anyway.

Any thoughts here?
Will 02 sensor "spacers" fix both the inefficient cats AND the high temp codes? I don't want to run richer than factory intentions.
Old 4/30/13, 10:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by codyl
So i am looking into this too. I have read that you can install the cat deletes by themselves, but you will most definitely through CEL codes relating to catalytic converter inefficiencies... In many other cars, this problem is mitigated by the use of "spark plug de-foulers" as a spacer between the O2 sensor and the exhaust stream. The defouler basically acts as a buffer that places the O2 sensor in a more lean environment. I believe this will approach could get rid of the CEL for cat efficiency... But i feel there will be no way to tell if the car is running rich... without the cats, it will smell rich anyway.

Any thoughts here?
Will 02 sensor "spacers" fix both the inefficient cats AND the high temp codes? I don't want to run richer than factory intentions.
The spacers won't work either... I had the. On my car. The check engine light still came on and also mine started to unscrew off and it caused a lot of rattling .. Should of used some lock tight but they were still pointless

Honestly a good hi flow cat system would be better.