2012-2013 BOSS 302

Bumper damaged at Ford Service

Search this Thread

Old 9/6/18, 03:10 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bumper damaged at Ford Service

It's been a long time since I've visited this forum, but I need some advice:

I recently took my car in for service (at Ford) to get an oil change and TSB (passenger side airbag) fixed. I always request no car wash because I've seen how they do it and I don't want swirl marks on my Boss. The reason I'm telling this is because my car sat in the Ford service department for two and a half weeks (which is another service issue) but was covered with a layer of dust when I picked it up. I did my usual walk around the vehicle (as I always do) and didn't notice any damage. However, on an overcast morning two weeks later, I pulled my Boss out of the garage and carefully washed it. It was then I spotted damage on my rear bumper. I can see the indentation of two screws equally spaced apart like the screws of a front license plate. The damage is small, as it is mostly marks in the paint, but noticeable and there is a very very slight dent where the right screw hit the bumper. It seems maybe whomever was parking it barely bumped my car.

So here's my question: Of course, I should hold Ford responsible for the damage, but I have always treated my car as a collector car and keep everything original on it. It only has over 10,000 miles on it as it's garaged most of the time. For the purpose of collectabililty and getting the maximum price when I sell it, would you recommend I leave the bumper the way it is or should I have it fixed knowing the bumper will probably be removed and repainted. I just don't want a buyer to think the car was involved in a big accident had the bumper re-painted to hide it. I'm also worried that Ford will want to repair it at the lowest cost and do a terrible job fixing it.

What do you think?

-Ray

Old 9/6/18, 04:42 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Oh man that sucks! Post a couple pics I'm sure you'll get some better advice. I'm in the same vote with mine I don't want to alter it. I just like her stock as is. I guess it all depends on how comfortable you are with a repair shop. I have a friend who owns his collision repair shop and does top notch repairs. I wouldn't hesitate to take mine there. I already have when half my stripes blew off the front going thru a touch less car wash. They did a great job at replacing them. If you have a trusted repair shop just tell Ford that's where you want it to go. Best of luck to you!
Old 9/6/18, 06:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Post a pic. Sometimes with small imperfections in plastic bumpers, you can pour boiling water over the area and it'll pop out to its original shape.
Old 9/6/18, 07:05 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,152 Likes on 825 Posts
Wow, that is the pits! Tough call. Hope it is a fixable item. Not sure what replacing the bumper would do to collectability.
Old 9/7/18, 11:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
I vote fix it. It's a bumper, and they can really do wonders on that. Nobody'll know except you and whoever did it if they did it right. Just get a good shop to do it.