Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Boss vs Evo

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/13, 09:19 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Boss vs Evo

While I am not fortunate enough to own a boss, I love the car. I came across this and thought I'd share it.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=em-subs_digest-vrecs&v=whGU7NY3Gsk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DwhGU7NY3Gsk%26feature%3Dem-subs_digest-vrecs
Old 5/8/13, 09:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whamp wannnnn no video.
Old 5/8/13, 01:37 PM
JPC
Bullitt Member

I think this is it:
Old 5/8/13, 02:00 PM
Bullitt Member

that was an odd comparo, the cars are too far apart in price, power and configuration. They should have just used a GT with the track pack at least then the price would have been right on. Also, it's good thing the track was dry.

I want to see the Boss take on some more Germans...Boss vs. C63 AMG vs. Audi RS5. That would be interesting contest....on the track anyway. Clearly the Mustang's interior is not up to the challenge there.
Old 5/8/13, 02:41 PM
V6 Member

Call me crazy, but I actually think it is a very relevant comparison - I have owned 3 Evos ('05, '08, and '10 MR paddle shift) and two Bosses ('12 and now '13 LS). A loaded Evo MR will run into the mid 40s MSRP so the price comparison is relevant (although both cars can be purchased for many thousands off sticker). I also think they both appeal to sort of 'outlier' nuts like me because they are hardcore, no-sissies-need-apply type cars that your average enthusiast would never even consider (they can go get an STI or Camaro).

An Evo X ('08 through '13) will murder a Boss on any road that has bumps, especially if it has a reflashed ECU. However, on smooth bigger, faster corners the Boss rules. I will hold on to my Laguna forever, but I also want another Evo.
Old 5/8/13, 03:29 PM
JPC
Bullitt Member

I looked at EVO MR (1st yr out)

I liked the handling but the power did not justify mid 40's price (well for me anyways)
Old 5/8/13, 05:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by KonaBlueeBoss302
Call me crazy, but I actually think it is a very relevant comparison - I have owned 3 Evos ('05, '08, and '10 MR paddle shift) and two Bosses ('12 and now '13 LS). A loaded Evo MR will run into the mid 40s MSRP so the price comparison is relevant (although both cars can be purchased for many thousands off sticker). I also think they both appeal to sort of 'outlier' nuts like me because they are hardcore, no-sissies-need-apply type cars that your average enthusiast would never even consider (they can go get an STI or Camaro).

An Evo X ('08 through '13) will murder a Boss on any road that has bumps, especially if it has a reflashed ECU. However, on smooth bigger, faster corners the Boss rules. I will hold on to my Laguna forever, but I also want another Evo.
Ok, on price if you move upscale from what the video quoted the Evo costing. On the rest, it's not apples to apples. RWD/AWD...Coupe/Sedan...NA V8/Turbo 4...econobox based platform/dedicated sports car...etc

But if you insist looking strictly at Stock for stock performance...I just don't see the Evo hanging with the Boss on most tracks. Sure maybe the Evo is less sensitive to bumps mid corner. But your not giving the Boss enough credit on how good it handles all round.

The Evo is a little faster in quick transition corners...largely thanks to the tires. However the Boss is faster in sweepers and LOTS faster in the straights. Those qualities alone will put a lot of distance between the cars at most tracks.

Evo VS. STi now there is a worthy comparison...I wont go there since that's off topic.
Old 5/8/13, 09:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Try this one... it's me and a friend at Pueblo Motorsports Park last year, just after the repaving. 18x285x35 Hankook RS3s on the Boss vs. NT01s on the Evo. HP is about equal and the Evo is (significantly) lighter.

Last edited by JScheier; 5/8/13 at 09:48 PM.
Old 5/11/13, 09:36 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,662 Posts
Originally Posted by JScheier
Try this one... it's me and a friend at Pueblo Motorsports Park last year, just after the repaving. 18x285x35 Hankook RS3s on the Boss vs. NT01s on the Evo. HP is about equal and the Evo is (significantly) lighter.

Video Link: http://youtu.be/WsckcHF6iKE
Very nice you guys did a great job!!!
Old 5/12/13, 03:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Very nice you guys did a great job!!!
Pueblo had just re-opened, so most (ok,hardly anyone) had been on the track yet. We had pretty much only one other car on track with us that session... it was great. Lots of lead-follow time and some assorted jackassery (most of which was edited out). Green asphalt is fun

Last edited by JScheier; 5/12/13 at 04:06 PM.
Old 5/12/13, 06:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the Evo for what it can do, all wheel drive, turbo, etc., but to me, anyone over 30 looks funny driving it.
Old 5/13/13, 12:30 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dayve
I like the Evo for what it can do, all wheel drive, turbo, etc., but to me, anyone over 30 looks funny driving it.
Old 5/13/13, 01:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dayve
For about a year and a half, I was driving an EvoX as part of a suspension development program. While I may have looked funny (I'm significantly over 30 )..... I also was absolutely flippin fast. The car was flat-out amazing... the computer and the differentials on the MR were amazing and you could do just about anything and it would recover almost instantaneously.

Of course, the car spent more time in the shop than any other I've ever owned or driven... but when it ran it was fast
Old 5/13/13, 04:31 PM
V6 Member

That's too bad that your MR gave you problems. My lightly-modified Evos got beaten on every day and I never had any mechanical issues (just tires and brake pads every 10-12k miles but that's the cost of doing business for most high performance cars in my experience).

Oh, and I always felt like the Evo X was even more fun without the stability/yaw controls on. There is a real magic to Evos when you are sideways in complete control. Yes, I drank the Evo Kool Aid and it was good!
Old 5/13/13, 05:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Pueblo had just re-opened, so most (ok,hardly anyone) had been on the track yet. We had pretty much only one other car on track with us that session... it was great. Lots of lead-follow time and some assorted jackassery (most of which was edited out). Green asphalt is fun
I use to live less than half a mile from that track! Before I moved back to Texas

Pmi was my backyard (for the dirtbike)

What a small world lol
Old 5/13/13, 06:46 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
18x285x35 Hankook RS3s
That's an interesting way of dictating the tire size I see what your saying, just never seen it stated like that before. rim x width x aspect ratio compared to the more often used width x aspect ratio x rim