BOSS Track Use Preparation

Search this Thread

Old 4/10/11, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOSS Track Use Preparation

Got this off of the BOSS 302 Supplement on myford.com

TRACK PREPARATION

The Boss 302 and Boss302 Laguna Seca edition have been rigorously proven out on race tracks. Below are recommendations for optimizing your Boss 302 for a track day event.

For optimal performance, premium fuel is recommended.
Change brake fluid to Super DOT 4 to improve track performance of braking system (WSS-M6C65-A2), Ford part number (YS4Z-19542-AA).
Install Ford Racing front brake cooling kit (M-2004-MB) to improve brake cooling (standard on Laguna Seca edition).

Remove rear brake dust shields to improve brake cooling.

Install Ford Racing transmission cooling scoop (M-5025-MBR) to improve transmission cooling (standard on Laguna Seca edition).
For extended track use, Ford recommends installing a rear differential cooler to improve rear axle cooling.

Remove vertical rear tire spoilers at rear edge of rocker moldings.

The Ford Racing front splitter kit (M-16601-MB, standard on Laguna Seca edition) can be installed to improve high-speed vehicle stability and handling. If the Ford Racing front splitter kit will be installed on a Boss 302 without the Laguna Seca package, Ford recommends installing the Laguna Seca edition rear spoiler in place of the standard rear spoiler to maintain aerodynamic balance. This front splitter is intended for race track use only and is not legal for on-street driving. It may degrade crash performance and void the vehicle warranty. The front splitter must be installed by the customer.

For track sessions, it is recommended to run 41 psi (283 kPa) hot for the OEM tires, front and rear.

Depending on track temperature, ambient temperature and driving style, you may need to reduce the starting tire pressure by as much as 4 psi (27 kPa).

The starting pressure may be lower in the rear tires relative to the front tires to achieve 41 psi (283 kPa) hot.

Reset tire pressures to placard recommended pressures before leaving the track.

For improved track performance, Ford recommends, available through Ford Racing. See your local Ford dealer or go to http://www.trackey.ford.com for more information (M-14204-MBTKA).

Your Bosst 302 is equipped from the factory with Brembo 4-piston front calipers and unique, high-performance rear brake pads that will provide excellent performance under normal driving conditions. Ford recommends the following bedding procedure for race track driving be followed.

Note: Restore the vehicle to factory specifications prior to driving on public roads.

Brake burnishing procedure for race track driving

If the vehicle has to be driven on a track (racing) or in severe driving conditions, the following steps must be performed on a closed course, not on public roads:
Burnish: 30 burnish stops at 60-0 mph (96-0 km/h), 0.4g deceleration, one mile (1.6 km) between stops. If the vehicle has more than 200 miles (322 km) on the brakes, skip this step and proceed to the Fade stops.

Fade: 20 fade stops, at 65-0 mph (105-0 km/h), 0.85g deceleration or just below ABS activity, no dwell between stops

Cool down: Minimum of five mile (8 km) cool down route, if on public roads (no brakes) run at 60 mph (96 km/h)

Recovery: 30 recovery stops at 60-0 mph (96-0 km/h), 0.4 g deceleration, one mile (1.6 km) between stops

Cool down: Minimum of five mile (8 km) cool down route, if on public roads (no brakes) run at 60 mph (96 km/h)

Damper adjustment recommendations:

Boss302 - Set all four dampers to position (5) for all tracks.

Boss302 Laguna Seca edition - Set front dampers to position (5) and set the rear dampers to position (3), (4) or (5) depending on how smooth the track is or how much curbing the driver likes to use.

On a rough track, set the rear dampers to position (3).

On a smooth track with aggressive apex curbs, set the rear dampers to position (4), but only if the driver uses those curbs.
On a smooth track with mild FIA-type apex curbs, set the rear dampers to position (5).

If the turn-in portions of the track are rough, reduce the front damper setting by one position until the Boss 302 turns in on those rough portions.

If the rear of the car is skipping over bumps during corner exit so that the driver has to reduce throttle input, reduce the rear damper setting by one position until the driver can apply appropriate throttle.

Last edited by Zoldier; 4/10/11 at 09:53 AM.
Old 4/10/11, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Whole thing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Boss302 SupplementGuide.pdf (375.3 KB, 524 views)
Old 4/10/11, 11:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
thx eddie, u rock!
Old 4/10/11, 06:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why would Dot 4 not be recommended for the street?
Old 4/10/11, 07:28 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Why would Dot 4 not be recommended for the street?
I've wondered why it didn't come with DOT 4 from the factory.
Old 4/10/11, 07:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
I've wondered why it didn't come with DOT 4 from the factory.
Me too, I can only guess it would make it harder on the line to add different fluid to different cars.

After it says to add DOT 4 for the track it says:

Note: Restore the vehicle to factory specifications prior to driving on public roads.

Don't see any sense in that???

Old 4/10/11, 08:04 PM
Cobra Member

i bet they did their testing with dot 3 and they are just doing come CYA. im more interested in why they tell normal boss owners to just run 5 everywhere no matter the track and then recommend all that other stuff for the LS cars. also, that uplevel spoiler will not just bolt right onto the normal boss, it uses a different bolt pattern. i say that assumnign because it looks like the uplevel spoiler you can get in the normal GT appearance package. If it isn't just forget i said that. plus ford also uses copious amounts of 3m style adhevie along with bolts so changing eh rear spoiler out is a hassle.
Old 4/10/11, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i bet they did their testing with dot 3 and they are just doing come CYA. im more interested in why they tell normal boss owners to just run 5 everywhere no matter the track and then recommend all that other stuff for the LS cars. also, that uplevel spoiler will not just bolt right onto the normal boss, it uses a different bolt pattern. i say that assumnign because it looks like the uplevel spoiler you can get in the normal GT appearance package. If it isn't just forget i said that. plus ford also uses copious amounts of 3m style adhevie along with bolts so changing eh rear spoiler out is a hassle.
The LS and CS pedestal rear spoilers are the same. Guys have added CS rear spoilers to GT's using only the four stock holes and 3M adhesive with no issues. Not sure how it will stick at 155 mph though. I'll be adding a carbon fiber GT500 rear spoiler from TruCarbon.
Old 4/10/11, 09:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
The LS and CS pedestal rear spoilers are the same. Guys have added CS rear spoilers to GT's using only the four stock holes and 3M adhesive with no issues. Not sure how it will stick at 155 mph though. I'll be adding a carbon fiber GT500 rear spoiler from TruCarbon.
That website has some nice parts. I'm going to be broke because of you.
Old 4/10/11, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Zoldier
That website has some nice parts. I'm going to be broke because of you.
And you haven't received my bill yet.