The Boss is Back! 2012 Boss 302

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/10, 09:04 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
They are comparing this car to an M3...
By performance.

I didn't read anything about the quality of leather.

I mean they took sound deadening out to save 11#'s!! What does that tell you?
Old 8/15/10, 09:12 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
By performance.

I didn't read anything about the quality of leather.

I mean they took sound deadening out to save 11#'s!! What does that tell you?
That they wanted to let you hear the thing not performance.

LQQK
Old 8/15/10, 09:14 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by LQQK
That they wanted to let you hear the thing not performance.

LQQK
They solved that with quad pipes and a larger sound tube, right?

Further reducing weight for the track was one of their objectives.
Old 8/15/10, 09:18 PM
Cobra Member

They solved that with quad pipes and a larger sound tube, right?

Further reducing weight for the track was one of their objectives.
Eleven pounds of sound-deadening material are missing, to allow more of the engine’s uniquely tuned exhaust sound to fill the cabin.
Taken from press release^^^^

LQQK
Old 8/15/10, 09:22 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by LQQK
Taken from press release^^^^

LQQK
I stand corrected (on that point).
Old 8/15/10, 09:27 PM
Cobra Member

I stand corrected (on that point).
It's all good,,,,Man,, we are gonna have to wait till next spring to see these cars and between now and then there's gonna be a lot of pissing contests---

LQQK
Old 8/15/10, 09:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

A LOT of money went into the performance side for the limited number that will be produced.
To avoid an even higher price, then you can't have both.
Just get a Brembo GT and tweak it if you're coming from that side of the argument.

Believe me, I'm not a Boss buyer, I love my Bullitt's handling, ride comfort, and amenities (which are few compared to the GT).

But the Boss SE has been reserved (for years now...) for those that want a pretty hard race car that's street legal. That's what the Boss is, right?
Well said.

And for those that still insist that the Boss should be available with luxury options, explain why a Track Pack GT wouldn't do?
Old 8/15/10, 10:05 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Clino
Well said.

And for those that still insist that the Boss should be available with luxury options, explain why a Track Pack GT wouldn't do?
Explain why A boss with HIDS wouldn't do?
Old 8/15/10, 10:24 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Jchandler
Cost less.
Old 8/15/10, 10:26 PM
V6 Member

And? If you don't want to pay for them don't select them as an option..
Old 8/15/10, 10:38 PM
Post *****

To discourage night time street racing?

(keeping ins rates a bit lower than they prob will be.)
Old 8/15/10, 11:30 PM
V6 Member

I like it, except I am hoping for a "Stripe Delete" option...Way over the top
Old 8/15/10, 11:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Jeez. Ford doesn't get ANYthing right do they? Options...colors...price. I'd hate to be the guy at HQ whose job is to scour the forums/blog sites, reading this stuff.

I don't know. On one hand I can see where Ford is coming from, keeping the Boss name pure by not even offering creature comforts. I don't remember anyone b*tching about the Cobra R's lack of radio/AC. But then I don't see why manufacturers see fit to remove HIDs from their most track-oriented models. I mean, isn't the point of those models to have THE best performance possible? Do HIDs not give the best light performance possible? Does Sync not allow hand free operation of the stereo and your phone, so you can keep your hands on the wheel/shifter?

I think it woulda been pretty cool if Ford tied the lap timer and a (theoretical) intercom system with your pit crew, with Sync. That would have been epic!

That being said, if I could afford it, I'm not sure I would be buying a Boss. I'm all about road racing and love orange cars. And I absolutely love the interior. I think my money would go to a fully loaded GT500 PP though. I was daydreaming earlier today, thinking that if I won the lotto today, I'd go buy a GT500 PP, Boss 302, V6 PP and a Raptor. Then I'd be set haha!

Last edited by laserred38; 8/15/10 at 11:54 PM.
Old 8/16/10, 12:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Because the point of the point of the Boss is supposed to be business first. That's why it has the reputation that it does. It's ability, and reasonable price for that level of performance comes at a sacrifice. It a model that will only appeal to people at the extreme and of the performance spectrum and it's able to be that because of sacrificing things that aren't necessary.

Basically you're asking why Ford won't sacrifice the point of the Boss (to perform), so that you can make it more like a model that they already offer (Premium GT). Sorry I don't get it. It sounds like you just want what everyone complains about about...a GT tape and stripe package.
Old 8/16/10, 12:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, so we are talking about a race car for the street, right? But if history repeats itself, and that seems to be Ford's goal here as well, then perhaps the next model year will repeat some of what happened with the original Boss cars. The 69 was not much more than a street legal race car. Even the valve sizes in the heads came straight from the track and the car had few options, especially appearance items. Then in 1970 Ford changed the appearance to match the rest of the 70 lineup as well as add the 70 Grabber colors and more options like the Shaker hood, rear window slats, chrome Magnum 500 wheels, etc. They also reduced the valve sizes to make the engine more streetable by improving the lower RPM torque output. One has to assume they made these changes to make the car appeal to a larger audience. My guess is they will follow a similar path with the 2013 Boss, assuming there is one. I really don't care about more creature comforts but if I could just get Grabber Blue with the 70 style stripes I would be at the dealer tomorrow. They are using both stripe styles (69 & 70) on the Grand Am cars now so why not give us both choices on the street cars?
Old 8/16/10, 01:40 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Clino
Because the point of the point of the Boss is supposed to be business first. That's why it has the reputation that it does. It's ability, and reasonable price for that level of performance comes at a sacrifice. It a model that will only appeal to people at the extreme and of the performance spectrum and it's able to be that because of sacrificing things that aren't necessary.

Basically you're asking why Ford won't sacrifice the point of the Boss (to perform), so that you can make it more like a model that they already offer (Premium GT). Sorry I don't get it. It sounds like you just want what everyone complains about about...a GT tape and stripe package.
No i don't disillusion myself into thinking that a $500 no weight adding option cant be had on a track/street car. The original 69 Boss wasn't some stripped down shell of a car. Take a 5 minute google search and you will see the interior was relatively nice for the times.. It had leather and what looks like a fairly premium radio for the time. Not hard to give us now in 2010.

Show me one post where I have said anything about the exterior styling of the car and asking for tape and stripes. I ask for two things Sync and HIDS neither of which make the car any less of a performance vehicle.

Sounds like what you want is the low production LS and are being too cheap to buy one so you want to make the Base high volume one into a pure track car. Every Boss 302 that I've goggled has leather/premium radio.. So sounds like the legend you keep referring to has exactly what I want and you may want to re-define the history you are clinging to. They didn't seem to think in 69 that leather/radio sacrifice performance or made it into a tape/stripe package.

http://happycarz.com/pics_and_descp.php?id=829

http://www.showyourauto.com/am/listings/l0281.html

http://www.prestigemotorcar.com/inve...-cars/boss-302

http://www.mustangreview.com/1969boss302.htm

http://www.classiccarstudio.com/vehi...?vehicle_ID=88

http://www.oldride.com/classic_cars/257956.html

http://www.bcautos.com/bestofshow/19...tang_boss.html

So sorry if I don't get why having an option for leather/radio takes one single thing away from the performance of this car, when in the past it didn't. We just have to agree to disagree.

Last edited by Jchandler; 8/16/10 at 02:16 AM.
Old 8/16/10, 01:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A LOT of money went into the performance side for the limited number that will be produced.
To avoid an even higher price, then you can't have both.
Just get a Brembo GT and tweak it if you're coming from that side of the argument.

Believe me, I'm not a Boss buyer, I love my Bullitt's handling, ride comfort, and amenities (which are few compared to the GT).

But the Boss SE has been reserved (for years now...) for those that want a pretty hard race car that's street legal. That's what the Boss is, right?
Very well said, sir.
Originally Posted by laserred38
But then I don't see why manufacturers see fit to remove HIDs from their most track-oriented models. I mean, isn't the point of those models to have THE best performance possible? Do HIDs not give the best light performance possible? Does Sync not allow hand free operation of the stereo and your phone, so you can keep your hands on the wheel/shifter?
mmmyyyeaeeah but... How many drivers are going to be running their new BOSS's on the track, at night, while trying to find GPS directions or their favorite tune on their playlist?

You guys do know that you can go to your dealership and get these items installed/retrofitted, right? If they're that important to you...
Old 8/16/10, 01:49 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by black_bullitt
Very well said, sir.
mmmyyyeaeeah but... How many drivers are going to be running their new BOSS's on the track, at night, while trying to find GPS directions or their favorite tune on their playlist?

You guys do know that you can go to your dealership and get these items installed/retrofitted, right? If they're that important to you...
Just like if people really need to save that 20 pounds can have them removed.. Point is why not let it be a factory option to have it if wanted? Believe me I'm not downplaying the car. I think it is awesome. Simple discussion on things we hope to see in the final production version/option lists.
Old 8/16/10, 02:20 AM

I totally agree with blksn8k. I have absolutely no issues with the performance and power and handling of the car. Even still, I am amazed that Ford was willing to put that much effort into the name. Wonderful wonderful job. However, if anything I want even more performance oriented options, like the LS has. Rear seat delete with the X-Cross support frame to go with the Recaros and Torsen diff. After that, my single, and only, complaint is the color pallate. Everything else...perfect! There is no need to muck up the name that the Boss has earned for itself with lots of electronics and creature comforts. If you want all of that, then maybe a Boss isn't what's best for you. If they were to allow a package to mimic the Boss on a standard GT, then it would be a smack in the face of the nameplate and the people who have worked to make it what it is today.
Old 8/16/10, 02:23 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Ice Hawk
I totally agree with blksn8k. I have absolutely no issues with the performance and power and handling of the car. Even still, I am amazed that Ford was willing to put that much effort into the name. Wonderful wonderful job. However, if anything I want even more performance oriented options, like the LS has. Rear seat delete with the X-Cross support frame to go with the Recaros and Torsen diff. After that, my single, and only, complaint is the color pallate. Everything else...perfect! There is no need to muck up the name that the Boss has earned for itself with lots of electronics and creature comforts. If you want all of that, then maybe a Boss isn't what's best for you. If they were to allow a package to mimic the Boss on a standard GT, then it would be a smack in the face of the nameplate and the people who have worked to make it what it is today.
The original had creature comforts. So how is asking for them now mucking the Boss name up when the originals had them? Does it need all of them no. But some yes..

Quick Reply: The Boss is Back! 2012 Boss 302