Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

BOSS 302 vs Camaro 1LE

Search this Thread

Old 3/29/12, 10:04 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluesun
No. The treasury is still in the hole and will be unless the stock price of GM goes up. Not sure if this is true, but I read it on the internet..." Taxpayers need at least $53 a share to recover their investment. " Current price $25.25.
And that does not include the funds they used to pay off the other existing loans GM and the Obama admin claimed were paid off "early". After being caught in the Obama shell game when these funds were identified as coming from reserve tarp funds, the FTC required them to stop their spin ads. Most people still think GM paid these off with renewed business.
Don't even get me started with what they did with the American assets of Dodge...
I think GM would have been a much better company if they had not played the bailout game. I have gotten over blaming GM, I know the real problem, and hope enough other people realize it too later this year.
The really frustrating thing is how much of a disadvantage Ford was put into and still have come out on top. This is why my family and I have purchased seven new Fords in the last two years including my 2012 LS boss.
Old 3/29/12, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Apollo
I think GM would have been a much better company if they had not played the bailout game. I have gotten over blaming GM, I know the real problem, and hope enough other people realize it too later this year.
Umm, how can you not blame GM for making horrible business decisions that eventually put them into the position that they needed the government bail out. That is like saying that companies like Worldcom and Global Crossing were not to blame for the huge fiber network build up and backhaul market price crash of the early part of the last decade. The only winners in that deal were the ones that bought the fiber at auction prices and lit it up a decade later.
Old 3/30/12, 12:32 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by litsnsirn
Umm, how can you not blame GM for making horrible business decisions that eventually put them into the position that they needed the government bail out. That is like saying that companies like Worldcom and Global Crossing were not to blame for the huge fiber network build up and backhaul market price crash of the early part of the last decade. The only winners in that deal were the ones that bought the fiber at auction prices and lit it up a decade later.
I understand what you are saying, and Iam not suggesting GM did not make bad business decisions or trying to defend them. The difference here is their activities were not based on illegal activities as the examples above. I am suggesting the option they were offered, and ultimately took should have never been offered. In retrospect, I think what happened politically has more basis in illegal activities and theft than the examples above.
Back on topic...
I have always been a Ford die hard fan. I do not care for the Camaro, but welcome the competition it brings to Ford.
Old 3/30/12, 06:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Krnnerdboy

Looks like the mustang track pack is the way better deal. I'm pretty sure that 50% of the boss handling can be attributed to that torsen rear diff. Most of us boss guys paid the premium for the resale value and motor. That mustang track is going to be so worth it.
Yeah but that's one hell of an engine upgrade even if the HP doesn't show it. I would rather go for the Boss because of the engine over the GT. that's how I feel. Suspension is always something that can be done well. Look at Steeda. The torsion diff is very nice and is being offered on the GT now, which is a win overall. But the Boss comes great from the factory. Not trying to take away from the GT either.
Old 3/30/12, 07:02 AM
RTD
GT Member

Is anyone else skeptical of the sub-3:00 VIR time claim? I'm having a hard time believing the 1LE will be able to run within a couple seconds of the ZL1. I also have a suspicion that the "under $40k price tag" means the base price before destination will be $39,999 and that the magnetic suspension and other goodies they're talking about will be separate expensive options.
Old 3/30/12, 02:04 PM
V6 Member

For information purposes, I've had this feature list in a folder on my desktop. I don't have any corresponding data on the Chevy cars, but thought I should post it if it helps the discussion.

ENGINE/DRIVE TRAIN
Race-spec camshaft and bearings
Twin, independent variable camshaft timing
Torsen 3.73 limited slip differential
Beefed up clutch
Short-shift gear box
CNC machined intake, exhaust ports and combustion chamber.
High strength aluminum, CNC ported (exhaust and intake) heads
Forged pistons and rods
Heavy-duty valve springs
Sodium filled exhaust valves
Lightened valve components to withstand higher RPMs
Daytona type intake manifold
Quad exhaust
Improved oil system to include cooling and baffling (8 quarts synthetic)

SUSPENSION/STEERING/CHASIS
Five position, driver adjustable shocks and struts
Improved larger front and rear stabilizers
Performance rated coil springs
Improved, stiffer suspension bushings
Re-tuned speed-sensitive electric steering system - three adjustable settings
Four piston Brembo braking system with performance pads, vented brake shields and reinforced brake-lines
Aerodynamic racing splitter
Lower ride height (11mm front, 1mm rear)
19" lightweight painted aluminum wheels w/ Pirelli P-Zeros (staggered - 9" front/10" rear)
Track key: Via the PCM, automatically adjusts several hundred parameters to racetrack calibration

444 HP - with no turbo/forced induction
7,500 RPM redline (stable to 8,400)

0-60 3.93 seconds

1/4 mile: 12.3 seconds @ 115.8 MPH

Capable of a lateral G

Laguna Seca lap times:
Mustang GT 500 1:44.32
BMW M3 1:42.96
Audi R8 1:40.75
BOSS 302 1:40.21
Old 3/30/12, 08:18 PM
GT Member

Funny thing is the original 1LE was less than base price. So you got a base Trans Am, deleted A/C, added performance axle ratio and 1LE package and got a nice car for about $500 less than the starting base price. Bet the new one will be quite an upcharge instead.
Old 3/30/12, 08:24 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see the 1LE as right in between our GT Track Pack and Boss 302. It does have some upgrades, like the SCG:2 tires, which I think are better than the PZeros the GT/Boss run. Other than that, I see a lot of ZL1 parts trickling down the pipeline now, just like we're seeing with Boss parts on the GTs.

Right now I want them to do a 4-way review: Camaro SS, GT Track Pack, Camaro 1LE, and Boss 302. Same driver, same track. Let's see how they all fare to one another.
Old 3/30/12, 08:36 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Right now I want them to do a 4-way review: Camaro SS, GT Track Pack, Camaro 1LE, and Boss 302. Same driver, same track. Let's see how they all fare to one another.
Ditto that
Old 3/31/12, 07:03 AM
GT Member

My opinion only.......no matter how fast, no matter how it handles, no matter what gadgets it has, how hi tech it is........when at the end of the day after you close your garage door and take that first step in your home from the garage and look back, I'm glad I don't see a GM product there that I'm making payments on. GM is junk........period.
Old 3/31/12, 10:39 AM
JPC
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by servitium
444 HP - with no turbo/forced induction
7,500 RPM redline (stable to 8,400)

8400 really?
anyone raise their rev limiter to 8400 or other?
Old 3/31/12, 11:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JPC
8400 really?
anyone raise their rev limiter to 8400 or other?
The race cars go over 8,000 with the same engine.
Old 3/31/12, 06:41 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BLAZN BOSS
My opinion only.......no matter how fast, no matter how it handles, no matter what gadgets it has, how hi tech it is........when at the end of the day after you close your garage door and take that first step in your home from the garage and look back, I'm glad I don't see a GM product there that I'm making payments on. GM is junk........period.
Chevy Diesel truck > Ford Diesel truck nuff said. I am no fanboy and politics have no place in these threads

Peter
Old 3/31/12, 06:47 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OLOABoss
Chevy Diesel truck > Ford Diesel truck nuff said. I am no fanboy and politics have no place in these threads

Peter
Old 3/31/12, 07:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by OLOABoss

Peter
Good to know Im not the only one.
Old 3/31/12, 08:16 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, keep the bailout and political stuff in the other forums. Let's talk about the cars here.
Old 3/31/12, 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

See the cheap Mobil 1 thread, it's spreading like wildfire.
Old 3/31/12, 09:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

So, when does production of the 1LE Camaro start ?

Last edited by 2 Go Snake; 3/31/12 at 10:00 PM.
Old 3/31/12, 10:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Don't think they have given a release date yet other than its going to be a 2013 option.
Old 4/2/12, 11:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
So , the 1LE is so far just a concept.

Quick Reply: BOSS 302 vs Camaro 1LE