Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Boss 302 - Transportation Mode

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/11, 11:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boss 302 - Transportation Mode

By this I mean that the the ECU is DEFINITELY is some kind of transportation mode - for awhile. Frankly, I don't think that this mode is purely on miles (although it could be) but more likely a combination of miles and key-on/off with miles driven sequence.

Engine break-in concepts are like talking religion but my personal preference is to mix in a few "full-load but not peak RPM" intervals during the first 10-20 miles. Most engine break in is done in the first 50 miles or so, IMO. (But let's save this debate for another thread.)

The point is that I took my "9-miles on the odometer" LS last night for its maiden voyage. Brought everything up to full temp and then at about 2500 rpm, did a full-throttle to 4500 rpm. *Yawn* The car was an absolute DOG!!! My buddy who got his LS last Friday was with me and we just looked at each other and laughed. We repeated the procedure 2-3 more times ove the next few miles - both in second and third gear with the same results. Engine by Briggs and Stratton!

We were running some errands and the last of which was stopping in at the local Ford dealership. At this time, the car was showing 18 miles on the odometer. After leaving we were going down the road a ways and I tried the test again. Yee haw! The Boss motor had arrived!

So, transportation mode is without a doubt a reality. If you test drive your car when you pick it up - DONT be alarmed or upset with performance. Just give it a few miles and some start sequences and all will be good!!!

Last edited by nota4re; 6/16/11 at 12:02 PM.
Old 6/16/11, 01:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car came to life at around 12 miles or so...
Old 6/16/11, 01:37 PM
GT Member

I don't read enough posts here - I had no idea this was something that was real. Either way, the valet/transportation mode is a great way to save the car from abuse.
Old 6/16/11, 01:43 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for passing that on...I would of been freaking out when I punched it LOL!
Old 6/17/11, 10:39 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealer is suppose to take the car out of transport mode before delivery as part of their prep, or so I read somewhere. If they don't then you have to wait until it does it on it's own........Some have told the dealers not to touch anything before delivery so perhaps they did not do this step on purpose ort perhaps they did not read the check list........
Old 6/17/11, 12:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MoscowBoss
The dealer is suppose to take the car out of transport mode before delivery as part of their prep, or so I read somewhere. If they don't then you have to wait until it does it on it's own........Some have told the dealers not to touch anything before delivery so perhaps they did not do this step on purpose ort perhaps they did not read the check list........
I would prefer that the dealer NOT remove the transportation mode prior to my taking delivery of the car, this could help with the techs doing 50 miles worth of burnouts behind the service department or other hooning.
Old 6/17/11, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I think you are correct. Normally, the dealer will do it is what I have heard too.

Given the choice, I would prefer to "drive through it" - but I just wanted to alert others not to freak out if it happens to them.
Old 6/17/11, 01:04 PM

From the PDI form for the Boss:

4. Functional Checks and Set-Up
☐ Reset PCM Calibration from transport mode - disconnect negative battery cable, wait 10 seconds, reconnect battery cable and turn ignition key on/off without
starting engine.
☐ Set clock and radio pre-sets for all bands (use auto pre-set feature if equipped).
☐ Check instrument cluster gauges for proper operation.
☐ Set language and reset oil minder in Electronic Message Center.
☐ Check all safety belts and seat back latches. Remove any temporary bands from belts or buckle ends (if applicable).
Old 6/17/11, 03:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I was a a dealer today when their Boss 302 arrived the tech had it out and said it felt like a dog...slower than a regular 5.0. Then he read the dealer prep notes....disconnect then reconnent the battery to unlock from "transport mode".
Now the dog is unleashed...and is a beast!!!
Old 6/17/11, 04:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by psg8064
From the PDI form for the Boss:

4. Functional Checks and Set-Up
☐ Reset PCM Calibration from transport mode - disconnect negative battery cable, wait 10 seconds, reconnect battery cable and turn ignition key on/off without
starting engine.
I would like to know how to activate it in case I ever have to leave it somewhere again, like when I had the roof painted.