Blocked off Side Exhausts?

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/13, 02:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sent you a PM.

Originally Posted by MoscowBoss
Dean,
Yes I installed them. It was pretty easy and straight forward although to do it does take a little planning in regards to running the wires into the car and connecting the power. If you are considering them let me know and I can give you a few details on how I did it and lessons learned.

Ed
Old 1/2/13, 08:56 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by cwcary

I think the side pipes like the Boss's sound tube are there to appease the buyer and are not performance enhancements.

Curtis
Removing the exhaust discs will provide a small increase in HP but the side exhaust were designed for increasing the sensory enjoyment of the Boss. Nothing wrong with wanting your Boss quieter. I'm the one selling the discs and I no longer stock blanks. If you want a set I can get them but you should contact me immediately as I may place an order tomorrow. It could be months before I place another order. You will be fine installing blank discs and will not damage your engine.

Rick

BTW nice bike!
Old 1/4/13, 09:46 AM

Well to all, Thanks! I took delivery of my car yesterday and all of the issues present in the one I test drove (different dealer) are not present. So to all who thought I was off base, you were correct. In fact after some reading about the TracKey, I'm convinced that the one I drove was using the TrackKey. Anyway, I'm happy however it occurred.

Oh and I still believe I'm correct about that exhaust it's just not as intrusive as I thought it would be. However, I'm still removing sound tube (kit ordered) and sealing the side exhaust (gaskets at dealership and restrictor plates ordered).

FWIW, I'm not overly fond of the electric assisted power steering, but I'm sure I will adjust, as we all must eventually.

Cheers,

Curtis
Old 1/4/13, 10:06 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 1/4/13, 12:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well to all, Thanks! I took delivery of my car yesterday and all of the issues present in the one I test drove (different dealer) are not present. So to all who thought I was off base, you were correct. In fact after some reading about the TracKey, I'm convinced that the one I drove was using the TrackKey. Anyway, I'm happy however it occurred.

Oh and I still believe I'm correct about that exhaust it's just not as intrusive as I thought it would be. However, I'm still removing sound tube (kit ordered) and sealing the side exhaust (gaskets at dealership and restrictor plates ordered).

FWIW, I'm not overly fond of the electric assisted power steering, but I'm sure I will adjust, as we all must eventually.

Cheers,

Curtis
Do you have it set to Sport? I noticed it was really bad set normally and changed it during the drive home from picking it up.
Old 1/4/13, 05:40 PM

Brandon302,

I tried "sport" and it took more effort to turn the wheel, but the turning ratio did not seem to change. I have not tried "comfort". When Road & Track tested a 2012 Boss, they liked "Sport" best, even at the track.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Curtis
Old 1/5/13, 01:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Brandon302,

I tried "sport" and it took more effort to turn the wheel, but the turning ratio did not seem to change. I have not tried "comfort". When Road & Track tested a 2012 Boss, they liked "Sport" best, even at the track.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Curtis
I think the Sport mode just makes the steering wheel more touchy, it kind of sucks on bumpy roads or if there are ruts because any little thing will move the wheels and the steering wheel, but it feels like you have more control and maybe less assist or more responsiveness from the steering wheel.
Old 1/6/13, 06:33 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by orng302
What ever changes you make, you should consider holding on to the original parts just in case you decide to sell the car in the future. Cars like the Boss always bring more money if they are in original condition or at least come with all the original equipment.
I'm with him, I get this vision of a guy buying your car 30 years in the future and saying WTF, where's the side exhaust. (that guy is usually me) I would put on what you want, and store the factory pipe.

BTW, if it's too loud, you are too old! I'm 57 and have 1" holes in my plates, sweet, sweet music!
Old 1/6/13, 06:37 AM
GT Member

I personally like sport mode, it's perfect on the BOSS. I have a 2010 FUSION with EPAS and I find it's steering way to light, I wish I could easily adjust it stiffer. Should be a dealer option to increase steering effort if desired.
Old 1/6/13, 09:35 AM

Boss Man 13,

Thanks for the suggestion. Indeed I did not address the fate of the side exhausts once removed by me. Let me answer this way, In 2007 I purchased a Kawasaki ZX-14 (like a Hybusa and a "bad" ride). Prior to deliver, and amongst other mods, I removed the stock exhaust system in favor of a Two Brothers setup. I still have that OEM exhaust, unused even though I sold the bike last year. New owner did not want it. So yes, you bet I'll be saving all the OEM parts removed, even the so called "sound tube".

Cheers,

Curtis