Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Blame Dealers AND Ford in MM&FF Letters to Editor?

Search this Thread

Old 7/21/11, 11:32 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blame Dealers AND Ford in MM&FF Letters to Editor?

Interesting read in the latest issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords - Letters to the Editor...
Attached Thumbnails Blame Dealers AND Ford in MM&FF Letters to Editor?-mmff-boss.jpg  
Old 7/21/11, 12:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it pays ten fold, to make good friends with upper management at your Local Dealership :-)
Old 7/21/11, 12:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Given that Ford clearly considers the Boss important to its future image, especially as they prepare to roll out the next generation "world car" Mustang, you would think they would lean heavily on their dealership network to sell them at stated MSRP.

In a few years, just like all new cars, lightly driven Laguna Secas will start showing up in the mid-to-low 40s and the only thing we will remember is all of the dealerships trying to gouge us for $10,000 to 15,000 over.

--A guy who bought at MSRP
Old 7/21/11, 12:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FLAstangx3
it pays ten fold, to make good friends with upper management at your Local Dealership :-)
Ditto
Old 7/21/11, 02:08 PM
Cobra Member

you know Ferrari had this same exact problem with the F40 and when the F50 came out they wouldn't let dealers sell them, they were lease only cars to prevent dealers from marking them up and keeping them out of the enthusiasts they wanted the cars to go to. i have long said that Ford will have to step in to keep these insane markups from happening. i have also long said that if you walk into a dealer willing to pay sticker ready to buy most dealers will sit up and deal.
Old 7/21/11, 04:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Sadly Shane, this is not the case with most dealers and the LS. They continue under the misguided notion of cashing in big. Just like some did on the early GT's. From personal experience, walking in with a MSRP check has not worked. At least for a friend of mine still looking. The dealers turn a deaf ear when I relate how I obtained my Q1 LS for under MSRP. They are still looking for more.

And as I have said previously, it is the buyers stepping up at an auction, eBay, showroom or wherever and paying over MSRP which continues to bait these dealers into this mode. The dealers will continue to hold out as long as they "think" they can get more. And yes I realize many of the eBay listings go unsold as the minimum was not met.

IMO Ford will not "step in" and do anything about the pricing or increased volume. The dealers are INDEPENDENT business owners who happen to source product from FoMoCo. Ford says this is "their" recommended retail price for the product but if the dealer can sell the vehicle for more he certainly can try. And if people keep writing the higher dollar check, what incentive does the dealer to sell for less? None. We as buyers do not complain when we buy a car under Ford's MSRP.

All I can say is keep looking. There are dealers out there which will be fair and value you as a new and hopefully repeat customer.
Old 7/21/11, 06:57 PM

I realize the LS is a different animal, but I was able to get MSRP on a white Boss with Recaros in the D/FW area without too much work. At first I couldn't find anyone willing to go below $2500 over, but after I emailed every dealer within 100 miles that had a Boss in stock I got what I wanted. I even ended up with free window tint, free wheel locks and the dealer delivered the car to my house since I was about to leave for vacation and didn't have the time to drive the 50 miles to pick it up.
Old 7/21/11, 08:15 PM
Cobra Member

I can understand the author's frustration, IMHO even the Laguna Seca should be sold at MSRP and no higher but that's just me
Old 7/21/11, 08:15 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
All new models have ADMs, even the '05 GT had them then eventually it fades away and dealers get a reality check. Ford has never and will never get involved opposing a dealer's business approach.

Solution... don't pay it.
Old 7/21/11, 08:30 PM
GT Member

All I can say is keep looking! I picked up mine this morning $50,610 out the door.
Old 7/21/11, 09:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I was checking a Boss out while getting my oil changed and they had a $10k mark up on one in the showroom. I played dumb and asked why. They said they were out of the ones allotted to them and that's what they paid for it from another dealer. The window sticker had a different dealers name on it too. Not sure if I believe it..
Old 7/21/11, 09:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Forgot to attach this on my previous post. Here's the window sticker that was on it.
Attached Images  
Old 7/22/11, 08:38 AM
GT Member

You have got to be kidding! A $100k LS, I think I would have to go Chevy and get a ZR1 first.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...p+view+details
Old 7/22/11, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by kyfigfam
You have got to be kidding! A $100k LS, I think I would have to go Chevy and get a ZR1 first.

It also lists the MSRP at like 79,000. Something must be wrong with the listing.
Old 7/22/11, 09:39 AM
V6 Member

Thoughts on Ford "artificially limiting the availabilty of the cars"?

Good thing or bad thing?
Old 7/22/11, 10:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PITT BOSS
Thoughts on Ford "artificially limiting the availabilty of the cars"?

Good thing or bad thing?
It's a good thing. They're addressing the complaints that domestic buyers have made for years where the special cars aren't that special because they make more than demand, sinking our resale values.

Remember when Chevrolet promised to keep demand high on Z06s?
Old 7/22/11, 01:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by kyfigfam

I told a buddy of mine and he called them. They were asking $99,500 but now they only want a measly $79,000. Better grab it while it is hot.
Old 7/22/11, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I have no issue with Dealers asking more than MSRP on a "hot" car. It is called supply and demand. No one gives a crap when a dealer lives with a $5 margin on a readily available car with many dealerships competing nearby...

I AM NOT nor ever have been a dealer.

If you don't like the ADM, don't pay it. Move on. Who cares!

Waaaah, waaaaah, waaaaah, I want my lolly pop. Gimme a break!
Old 7/23/11, 03:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by nota4re
I have no issue with Dealers asking more than MSRP on a "hot" car. It is called supply and demand. No one gives a crap when a dealer lives with a $5 margin on a readily available car with many dealerships competing nearby...

I AM NOT nor ever have been a dealer.

If you don't like the ADM, don't pay it. Move on. Who cares!

Waaaah, waaaaah, waaaaah, I want my lolly pop. Gimme a break!
I came in here to say this, almost word for word, but I would have added:

"Oh, look, here comes a whaaaaahmbulance!"

If you can't pay, then you can't have. If they can't sell, they won't be asking stupid money for long. And it doesn't do them any harm in holding the thing, people come in to see it anyway, then buy a Focus.

They do not care about your angst at being unable to have the bank account they want you to have. And you should not think badly of them for doing what you and many others would do. Or did not you read about BOSS #1?

The exact example of why dealers do this: Because you will.

Well, maybe not YOU, but still.

Last edited by houtex; 7/24/11 at 01:56 PM.
Old 7/23/11, 04:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

i do not think he will get what he wants in CT and thats not a suprise, especially lower CT where he is

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Tru...c0.m282&_rdc=1
Attached Thumbnails Blame Dealers AND Ford in MM&FF Letters to Editor?-black-boss-red-wheel.jpg  

Last edited by 2005GTDELUXE; 7/23/11 at 04:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Blame Dealers AND Ford in MM&FF Letters to Editor?