2012-2013 BOSS 302

Black Key vs. TracKey: A Dyno Comparison.

Search this Thread

Old 11/13/11, 09:06 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i feel the need to point out here, your warranty doesn't explode with an aftermarket tune. I said long ago you would get more out of an aftermarket tune, i think were all know that anyway. i have also found since my car has been on a couple dynos that the factory airbox will limit you to about 410whp, if you want more you need a CAI.
Old 11/13/11, 09:26 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by adam81
My thoughts exactly......

By the way the Boss changing into the Batmobile is a strandard feature on the Silver cars....
So they turn into the Black cars?
Old 11/13/11, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
I am amazed some of you are saying TracKey isn't producing the desired results when you haven't even driven the car with TRACKKEY on TRACK. How can you possibly know? Do you have split time or lap time comparisons with the black key so you can compare real data? Have you experienced the "rush" of driving with TracKey where you "feel" so much more connected to the car in a track environment?

If you aren't planning to track the car, why would you buy a TRACKKEY? I can see you might want to order it since it's an option on the Boss, but Ford never implied it was going to miraculously turn it into the Batmobile.
No different than GT500 owners getting the SVTPP package for the "status" and narrow stripes and complaining about the stiff ride.
Old 11/13/11, 02:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am amazed some of you are saying TracKey isn't producing the desired results when you haven't even driven the car with TRACKKEY on TRACK. How can you possibly know? Do you have split time or lap time comparisons with the black key so you can compare real data? Have you experienced the "rush" of driving with TracKey where you "feel" so much more connected to the car in a track environment?

If you aren't planning to track the car, why would you buy a TRACKKEY? I can see you might want to order it since it's an option on the Boss, but Ford never implied it was going to miraculously turn it into the Batmobile.
i agree with ya brother!!
Old 11/13/11, 02:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...Ford never implied it was going to miraculously turn it into the Batmobile.
Phew. Thank God for that!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3002049...ream/lightbox/
Old 11/13/11, 03:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Tob*
Looks like he let Robin drive again.
Old 11/13/11, 03:35 PM
Bullitt Member

you guys are 100 percent right, although my track tends to be drag racing, the track key 2 step is AWESOME and im gonna use the hell out of it,

and once or twice a year i will find a track day to stretch the boss's legs like they were ment to be anything else would be an insult to the car, i got about 7k miles on it since sept 10 lol
Old 11/14/11, 07:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
It the first I've heard without the clutch/trans being out. I have actually been staying out of all the Track key threads, it's constant complaining it seems.
Laguna, interesting comment. Why do you think there is "constant complaining"?
Certainly not all owners are complaining, but many appear to do so with what they believe legitimacy. Some see the glass half-full while others say use a smaller glass.
Old 11/14/11, 09:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here are two runs from the same day using 100 octane. These are representative of the average of each block of runs.

TracKey is the RED trace. Black key is the BLUE trace.

Maybe there is a little more low end torque. Or maybe it's just noise.

Name:  Lad9h.png
Views: 66
Size:  23.2 KB
Old 11/14/11, 09:52 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
Here are two runs from the same day using 100 octane. These are representative of the average of each block of runs.

TracKey is the RED trace. Black key is the BLUE trace.
Well done, thanks for the information. I expected a little more low end torque since everyone seems to feel the car pulling harder out of the corners, must just be the effect of quicker throttle response.
Old 11/14/11, 10:40 AM

Here are those same two runs, with the AFR shown. TK is definitely fatter; that's good for engine safety at least.

Name:  ZiUZ5.png
Views: 65
Size:  22.3 KB
Old 11/14/11, 11:07 AM
Bullitt Member

I would have to agree some of the people here. Why would you get the Trackey if you are not going to track the car ???

I can understand buying a boss...I came seconds away from it myself. But buying the trackey and daily driving does not make sense to me..
Old 11/14/11, 12:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by davegush
Can an aftermarket tuner fix the throttle lag issue? How about deleting torque limiting? How about deleting 155 mph speed limiter?
Are you talking about these issues with the track key? As far as I know not yet, SCT does not have a read on the track key calibration yet.

For the standard calibration the answers would be yes to all your questions.
Old 11/14/11, 01:04 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Are you talking about these issues with the track key? As far as I know not yet, SCT does not have a read on the track key calibration yet.

For the standard calibration the answers would be yes to all your questions.
Gus, I like what I read: SCT does not have a read on the track key calibration yet.
I'm willing to wait.....
Old 11/16/11, 08:48 PM
JBG

FWIW I've had extensive dyno time with and w/o the TK and there was no difference between the two.
Old 11/16/11, 09:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info John!
Old 11/16/11, 10:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JBG
FWIW I've had extensive dyno time with and w/o the TK and there was no difference between the two.

Are you referring to peak hp and tq numbers, where the line plots in the rpm range, all of the above or.......?

I am thinking you mean there was no difference anywhere....
Old 11/16/11, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by JBG
Taking time out of your hunting to post on TMS?
Old 11/17/11, 05:12 AM
JBG

Originally Posted by adam81
Are you referring to peak hp and tq numbers, where the line plots in the rpm range, all of the above or.......?

I am thinking you mean there was no difference anywhere....
I've only had phone conversations with the individual doing the dyno work and he said the runs w and w/o the TK were fairly identical. I'll get the dyno sheets when I return next week.

Originally Posted by 06GT
Taking time out of your hunting to post on TMS?
Yep, needed to restock before I head out this afternoon for the last trip of the year.
Old 11/17/11, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by JBG
I've only had phone conversations with the individual doing the dyno work and he said the runs w and w/o the TK were fairly identical. I'll get the dyno sheets when I return next week.

Yep, needed to restock before I head out this afternoon for the last trip of the year.
Some of us have surmised that the WOT maps for both tunes are similar/identical, and that most of the changes are related to part-throttle operation. Don't think we'll ever know for sure. I'm looking forward to running the TK at Firebird Main on Thanksgiving Weekend.

Good hunting, stay safe out there!

Quick Reply: Black Key vs. TracKey: A Dyno Comparison.