Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

BFG g Force Sport Comp's now @ Track Attack

Search this Thread

Old 4/19/12, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFG g Force Sport Comp's now @ Track Attack

Just attended Track Attack Apr 16th and 2nd day in FR500S. On day 2 it was raining and they took off the slicks and mounted the BFG's for the very first time. One instructor mentioned he drove them prior and said they worked very well especially when wet. Tires on Boss were Michelin Pilot Sport which they called "sticky tires". FYI
Old 4/19/12, 05:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....a&autoModClar=

Tire Rack lists "availability" in our rear sizes as 9/7. Just in time for winter!
Old 4/19/12, 09:18 AM
GT Member

Excellent information as I have been searching for "rains" for autocross duty.
Old 4/19/12, 10:27 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Captain1
Just attended Track Attack Apr 16th and 2nd day in FR500S. On day 2 it was raining and they took off the slicks and mounted the BFG's for the very first time. One instructor mentioned he drove them prior and said they worked very well especially when wet. Tires on Boss were Michelin Pilot Sport which they called "sticky tires". FYI
I actually thought they handled getting hot pretty well. They only started getting greasy in the last five or so laps of the last 30 minute session in the dry. They handled the heat better than most of the street tires I have had on the track.
Old 4/20/12, 05:52 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Ah here's the info I was looking for. Anyone have an impression of how the Sport Comp 2's compare to the stock P-Zero's or the PS2's?
Old 4/22/12, 07:25 AM
Bullitt Member

That's like half the cost of the Prelli's with very good reviews. Thanks for sharing!
Old 4/22/12, 01:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Ah here's the info I was looking for. Anyone have an impression of how the Sport Comp 2's compare to the stock P-Zero's or the PS2's?
My only experience of the PS2's was on the first day of the track attack. Like all the reviews have said, they have a lot of grip, great feedback/feel, and are quiet (I am not sure if they were quit or not). The SC 2's were on the FR500 so it is not a direct comparison and they are probably better than I thought they were because our first session was on slicks. I feel they had better initial grip then PS2's but turn in and feedback wasn't as good and they seemed to go off more dramatically with heat than the PS2's. From my experiences that day and if money was of no concern, I would go with the PS2's, but for my budget and the price of the SC2's, I would pick the Sport Comp 2's. Like I said, they are probably even better than I thought they were considering we started the day on slicks.
Old 4/22/12, 02:43 PM

The new BFG SC2 looks like a nice option and a pretty good value.

The biggest downside I see is that they appear to be a little bit heavier than the other tires in that category (at least according to the Tire Rack's specs).

Take the stock Boss 302 front tire, for example, at 255/40/19:

Conti Extreme Contact DW: 25 lbs.

Michelin PS2: 26 lbs.

Michelin PSS: 26 lbs.

Pirelli P-Zero: 27 lbs.

BFG SC2: 29lbs.

George
Old 4/22/12, 08:39 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by VTBoss302
The new BFG SC2 looks like a nice option and a pretty good value.

The biggest downside I see is that they appear to be a little bit heavier than the other tires in that category (at least according to the Tire Rack's specs).

Take the stock Boss 302 front tire, for example, at 255/40/19:

Conti Extreme Contact DW: 25 lbs.

Michelin PS2: 26 lbs.

Michelin PSS: 26 lbs.

Pirelli P-Zero: 27 lbs.

BFG SC2: 29lbs.

George
Don't post very often George, huh? Where in New England would you take your Boss to the track if you wanted to? Did you buy one of the Race Red 2012's that Formula Ford had last year?
Old 4/22/12, 08:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ace72ace
Where in New England would you take your Boss to the track if you wanted to?
NH Motor Speedway, Lime Rock park, Watkins Glen (NY)
Old 4/22/12, 09:01 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Cole and VT, thanks for the feedback. The SC2's will certainly be a nice option for the street. Looks like the PSS are still at the top of the pile for street tires and possibly the AD08's next.
Old 4/23/12, 09:05 AM

Don't post very often George, huh? Where in New England would you take your Boss to the track if you wanted to? Did you buy one of the Race Red 2012's that Formula Ford had last year?
Yeah, I usually just come to the forum to learn more about what people are doing to and experiencing with their cars.

I bought a 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302 from Paquin Ford. I actually stopped by to look at pickup trucks, but when I saw the Boss in the showroom there was no way I could resist.

Like wheelman said, LRP, the Glen, and NHIS are the tracks of choice around here. I used to live in CT, so LRP used to be my "home track".

I don't have plans to track the Boss in the immediate future, but hopefully that will change soon.

I'm a Skip Barber Racing School graduate and California Superbike School graduate. I've tracked open wheel Formula Fords, my old Audi Quattro, my old Porsche 993 Turbo, my old Mitsu Lancer Evo 8 RS, and a few motorcycles.

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed at the amount of extra prep work involved to get the Boss truly track ready. In the past, a simple rotor, pad, fluid, and SS lines change was enough for basic track duty.

In any case, now that I live in a more rural area, I tend to get my motor vehicle thrills off-road as opposed to on a road course.

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand...

George
Old 4/23/12, 09:43 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the feedback George. Any pics of your KB Boss? I haven't seen any new Boss Mustangs in New England except for a CO Boss in the Manchester Autofair showroom last year.
Old 4/23/12, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the feedback George. Any pics of your KB Boss? I haven't seen any new Boss Mustangs in New England except for a CO Boss in the Manchester Autofair showroom last year.
I haven't seen any other new Boss Mustangs around here either.

I'll try to upload a pic for you.

George
Attached Thumbnails BFG g Force Sport Comp's now @ Track Attack-jobone.jpg  
Old 4/23/12, 10:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

When I was there last August, we ran BFG R1s on the FR500S. It looked to me like they have a pretty big sponsorship program with BFG at MMP so it's not surprising the TA cars were switched to them.
Old 4/24/12, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Captain1
Yep, my dad and I where there too, great new tire!!

Stef
Old 4/24/12, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by bolecailey
My only experience of the PS2's was on the first day of the track attack. Like all the reviews have said, they have a lot of grip, great feedback/feel, and are quiet (I am not sure if they were quit or not). The SC 2's were on the FR500 so it is not a direct comparison and they are probably better than I thought they were because our first session was on slicks. I feel they had better initial grip then PS2's but turn in and feedback wasn't as good and they seemed to go off more dramatically with heat than the PS2's. From my experiences that day and if money was of no concern, I would go with the PS2's, but for my budget and the price of the SC2's, I would pick the Sport Comp 2's. Like I said, they are probably even better than I thought they were considering we started the day on slicks.
Got the same feeling from the PS2's. My experience with the Sport Comps is they only got better with heat and did not seem greasy at all, great tire!!

Nice meeting you Cole, its was a fun event.
Old 4/25/12, 01:58 PM
Cobra Member

Just got SC2's put on my '12 GT brembo car.

They are IMO the best option in their price range, and blow the other competitors out of the water. hankooks are too soft for me, and I was not about to pay 400+ for pirellis to replace them.

So far the BFG's are doing great.