Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

AUTOCROSS

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/13, 03:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boostd4
I've run my '13 at two events so far. The car is basically bone stock and I have to say I've had more fun so far than I did in my heavily modded Evo.

That being said, it definitely isn't the ideal car for autox but it sure is a lot of fun. I think this year the Boss fits into the A-Stock class if I'm not mistaken (according to the book the non-LS model goes in this class). Seems to be competitive with the other cars...but for me I'm still getting used to the car and it's potential. I was faster than a 5.0 with coilovers and better tires both days though...so that says something.

Bone stock running in A Street Prepared "ASP"...that's a good way to get murdered by 450HP Evo's

Boss goes into ESP from A Stock, where I would say it is definitely competitive. it's not really competitive in any other class though.
Old 4/11/13, 09:04 PM
GT Member

I ran at an event last weekend and they stuck me in F stock. I was up against a G8 GXP, a BMW 330i (I think it was a 330i anyway) and a BMW M6 (sweet car!). My first ever autocross, I had a ball. Turns out I should have aired my tires up. I was only running 32.
Old 4/12/13, 07:06 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jaywoo
I ran at an event last weekend and they stuck me in F stock. I was up against a G8 GXP, a BMW 330i (I think it was a 330i anyway) and a BMW M6 (sweet car!). My first ever autocross, I had a ball. Turns out I should have aired my tires up. I was only running 32.
SCCA class for the Boss is RTR - AS (Road Tire Rear Wheel Drive.)
I run 41 psi for AutoX which is what Ford recommends for racing.
Works for me.
Old 4/12/13, 10:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by fking1
SCCA class for the Boss is RTR - AS (Road Tire Rear Wheel Drive.)
I run 41 psi for AutoX which is what Ford recommends for racing.
Works for me.

Ya, I suppose a Boss might do ok in RTR since you can run more tire. However that is a SUPER tough class with a lot of talent driving Vette's, S2000's and those pesky Miata's with their killer index. It is an up hill battle for our cars with stock suspension.

Last edited by ConeBoss; 4/12/13 at 10:23 AM.
Old 4/12/13, 01:51 PM
GT Member

Interesting. Regular Boss is listed as A stock but Laguna Seca is not eligible for stock competition.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...nufacturer.pdf
Old 4/12/13, 02:54 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ConeBoss
Ya, I suppose a Boss might do ok in RTR since you can run more tire. However that is a SUPER tough class with a lot of talent driving Vette's, S2000's and those pesky Miata's with their killer index. It is an up hill battle for our cars with stock suspension.
Fortunately Corvettes don't run in RTR, but , the Miata's are tough to beat.
Old 4/12/13, 09:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Bone stock running in A Street Prepared "ASP"...that's a good way to get murdered by 450HP Evo's

Boss goes into ESP from A Stock, where I would say it is definitely competitive. it's not really competitive in any other class though.

agreed Boss should not be in ASP. You should be good in AS, RTR, and if you have the ballz SM

I had an 06 STi that I ran in STU for years with JRZ coilovers and then ran SM as i did a Cobb tune and catless downpipe. Even on street tires (Toyo R1r and the Dunlop Star Specs) I placed regularly and even had a FTD in the rain on a short course LOL

Now I am gonna run my stock Regal GS and see how she does in GS this year. BTW the best mod is the driver mod. Do yourself a favor and participate in an EVO autocross school. BEST $$$ you could spend if you want to have fun AND be competitive in ANY car or class
Old 4/15/13, 10:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kyfigfam
Interesting. Regular Boss is listed as A stock but Laguna Seca is not eligible for stock competition.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...nufacturer.pdf
The rear seat delete, splitter and R-Comp tires from factory probably are why.
Old 4/15/13, 10:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 12C/OBoss
agreed Boss should not be in ASP. You should be good in AS, RTR, and if you have the ballz SM

I had an 06 STi that I ran in STU for years with JRZ coilovers and then ran SM as i did a Cobb tune and catless downpipe. Even on street tires (Toyo R1r and the Dunlop Star Specs) I placed regularly and even had a FTD in the rain on a short course LOL

Now I am gonna run my stock Regal GS and see how she does in GS this year. BTW the best mod is the driver mod. Do yourself a favor and participate in an EVO autocross school. BEST $$$ you could spend if you want to have fun AND be competitive in ANY car or class
Agreed, EVO is great...thinking to do challenge phase this year. Good luck in GS with that Regal. Why don't you run the Boss?
Old 4/21/13, 05:03 PM

I see your in WA, was this at Emerald Downs? If so that was my Boss. I wanted to talk to you, but I was busy getting ready to race and others kept coming by to chat, sorry. You should have stuck around, I would have been happy to give you a ride or find you one in another car...like the 900HP GTR that was there.

If you are wanting to try it out I would encourage you to sign up for the NWR SCCA novice school coming on 4/20. http://nwr-scca.org/solo/school.htm I will likely be instructing and would be happy to show you the ropes and the offer stands for a ride in a well prepped Boss 302 to give you an idea of what could be for your ride.

To answer your question, are they good on a tight course? In bone stock form...let's just say it takes patience, but they do fine. With some suspension tuning and decent tires they do very well...but still require patience, unless you like massive power drifts.

Once they get to a decent level of preparation and you learn how to drive it, the Boss is shockingly fast on an Auto-X course!
I wanted to give a big thank you for recommending this class. I was the "cherry" out there with the PW '13 Boss. I had a great time and will definitely be coming back out as my deployments/training allow. Also, a big thank you to your wife for the trip around the course during lunch, it was a blast.

Thanks again,
Jason
Old 4/22/13, 11:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tigerclaw
I wanted to give a big thank you for recommending this class. I was the "cherry" out there with the PW '13 Boss. I had a great time and will definitely be coming back out as my deployments/training allow. Also, a big thank you to your wife for the trip around the course during lunch, it was a blast.

Thanks again,
Jason
Glad to hear you had a good time, hopefully there will be less rain next time. Sorry neither of us could hook up as your instructor. For some reason the event organizer didn't see fit to match up instructors with students in similar cars...except for himself.

Yes, she is quite the hell raiser...I created quite the monster when I got her into racing.