Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

AUTOCROSS

Search this Thread

Old 3/28/13, 02:00 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AUTOCROSS

Thinking of trying some autocross this summer with a couple of local clubs. I went this past weekend to watch there first event. Lots of imports a couple of corvettes and one 2012 boss. I did not stick around to see the boss run because I had some other things to do that day. Has anyone here done this with the boss? How good are they on a small tight corse?
Old 3/28/13, 02:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally didn't have much fun doing the AutoX because it is a big car on those tiny courses, I have more fun doing a PDX or HPDE on a course.
Old 3/28/13, 02:52 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have autocrossed my 13 at 6 or so SCCA events.
The car is a blast to drive and the stock Pirelli's stick very well, better than expected.
Run the shocks on 5 with 41 psi in the tires.
I'm sure U will enjoy it.
Very competitive in it's class.
Old 3/28/13, 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

I ran a heavily prepped 2005 V6 for 4 years and kept up with the V8 cars easily. I've seen the Boss run and it does well. I plan to start prepping my 07 GT this spring for more fun. I had Nitto 555's and Tokicos with Steeda Ultralight springs and full suspension/brakes. I dialed the shocks down to 1 turn and ran the tires ar 36 psi, they would typically air up 4-5 lbs during runs. Have fun, you'll love it!
Old 3/29/13, 11:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did a autocross for the first time last summer with my Boss. I kept getting lost and out of the cones.
Name:  412138_342454849174200_57940602_o_zps388e194a.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  78.6 KB
Name:  259727_342454919174193_861507234_o.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  84.0 KB
Old 3/29/13, 12:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by UnrealFord
I did a autocross for the first time last summer with my Boss. I kept getting lost and out of the cones.
That brake dive is awful to actually see in pictures, nice looking car though.
Old 3/29/13, 12:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon302
That brake dive is awful to actually see in pictures, nice looking car though.
Yup, its pretty bad. Looks like the car was going to flip head over heels ,lmao.. I have Steeda Springs to install this year, suppose to help the brake dive tremendously.

Last edited by UnrealFord; 3/29/13 at 12:20 PM.
Old 3/29/13, 12:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yup, its pretty bad. Looks like the car was going to flip head over heels ,lmao.. I have Steeda Springs to install this year, suppose to help the brake dive tremendously.
Springs of any kind will help tremendously.
Old 3/29/13, 01:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I have not run autocross in my Mustang but I did last year in my Honda S2000. It's a blast and it's darn near impossible to hurt anything. As to Mustang suitability for autocross, there was a guy running last year in a retired Police Interceptor Crown Vic.
Old 3/30/13, 08:00 AM
V6 Member

I run my 13 boss once a momth here in corpus christi. I love it finally getting uses to the car since ive only had it since november. Finiding that i really dislike pirellis. Looking at some other tire options. Depending on the surface you are on it is fun to try and dial her in. But if this is your first ever just go out there set as you normally drive. Get some seat time and learn the course/car then start trying to go fast. Ride with other drivers if its allowed so you can visualize the turns. Have one of the other more experienced drivers ride with you. The ride alongs are generally very helpful for new comers. Any way have fun be safe and keep the racing on the track where it belongs.
Old 3/31/13, 10:26 PM
Cobra Member

I've ran my '12 Boss once in an SCCA event, it was a blast! I didn't get lost, but I still was the slowest Boss out of the 3 there. I was a little scared to drive it at its max potential.
Old 4/1/13, 11:18 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
I've ran my '12 Boss once in an SCCA event, it was a blast! I didn't get lost, but I still was the slowest Boss out of the 3 there. I was a little scared to drive it at its max potential.
I am not scared but deffinitely respectful. The short tight autox tracks are an awesome place to learn the limits of your boss. It only takes a flick of the wheel or a twitch of the loud peddle and you find it real quick. I plan to keep running the courses every month till i feel really confident then i will start with the road course track days.
Old 4/3/13, 04:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by maddog2
Thinking of trying some autocross this summer with a couple of local clubs. I went this past weekend to watch there first event. Lots of imports a couple of corvettes and one 2012 boss. I did not stick around to see the boss run because I had some other things to do that day. Has anyone here done this with the boss? How good are they on a small tight course?
I see your in WA, was this at Emerald Downs? If so that was my Boss. I wanted to talk to you, but I was busy getting ready to race and others kept coming by to chat, sorry. You should have stuck around, I would have been happy to give you a ride or find you one in another car...like the 900HP GTR that was there.

If you are wanting to try it out I would encourage you to sign up for the NWR SCCA novice school coming on 4/20. http://nwr-scca.org/solo/school.htm I will likely be instructing and would be happy to show you the ropes and the offer stands for a ride in a well prepped Boss 302 to give you an idea of what could be for your ride.

To answer your question, are they good on a tight course? In bone stock form...let's just say it takes patience, but they do fine. With some suspension tuning and decent tires they do very well...but still require patience, unless you like massive power drifts.

Once they get to a decent level of preparation and you learn how to drive it, the Boss is shockingly fast on an Auto-X course!
Old 4/3/13, 06:32 PM
GT Member

auto-x will change your life! and what's the book called - secrets of speed oh and how to make your car handle. it's a great way to learn your car's limits although at lower speeds.
Old 4/3/13, 09:17 PM
GT Member

Cone boss, Yes that was me at Emerald downs. I had to leave after the morning session so I did not get a chance to talk to you. I have some road coarse experience but have only done an autocross once and it was not set up as good as what I saw there at the downs. I have done some suspension mods to the boss and she seems to hold the road pretty good. I currently am recovering from a broken hand so I am a month or so from being able to hit the coarse. I would take you up on a ride at the next event though. Are you a member of that club?
Old 4/3/13, 10:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I hadn't noticed that you are in Washington. I ran last year with the Bremerton Sports Car Club. They set up their events at Bremerton Motor Sports Park which is on an abandoned runway on the edge of Bremerton airport. The courses tend, as a result, to be longer and narrower. They are different month - sometimes tighter and trickier, sometimes more open and faster. Look them up on BSCC.NET. It's really cheap and the people are great.
Old 4/4/13, 12:39 PM

I've run my '13 at two events so far. The car is basically bone stock and I have to say I've had more fun so far than I did in my heavily modded Evo.

That being said, it definitely isn't the ideal car for autox but it sure is a lot of fun. I think this year the Boss fits into the A-Stock class if I'm not mistaken (according to the book the non-LS model goes in this class). Seems to be competitive with the other cars...but for me I'm still getting used to the car and it's potential. I was faster than a 5.0 with coilovers and better tires both days though...so that says something.

Name:  boss_autocross.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  55.3 KB

Last edited by Boostd4; 4/4/13 at 12:44 PM.
Old 4/4/13, 02:03 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by maddog2
Thinking of trying some autocross this summer with a couple of local clubs. I went this past weekend to watch there first event. Lots of imports a couple of corvettes and one 2012 boss. I did not stick around to see the boss run because I had some other things to do that day. Has anyone here done this with the boss? How good are they on a small tight corse?
I very much recommend it. Its a lot of fun and will teach you how to drive your car under-control. I've been doing it for about 8 years now and I still love it.

As far as the boss being good, I've only seen a few and most were novice drivers, looked good but they were still learning. Rod McGeorge has a ESP prepped one and that thing is dirty. So I think with some practice you will be fine.

And some food for thought. The Shelby GT has been dominating FS for the past couple years on the national level.
Old 4/4/13, 03:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Wow - I didn't think the Boss would have dive just as bad as the regular GT. If Ford fixes nothing else on the '15, please fix that - it's awful.
Old 4/4/13, 09:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde

Wow - I didn't think the Boss would have dive just as bad as the regular GT. If Ford fixes nothing else on the '15, please fix that - it's awful.
Yes please.

Quick Reply: AUTOCROSS