Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Anyone changing the Boss 302 graphics . . .

Search this Thread

Old 9/24/11, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I'll paint a stripe on the hood and add these graphics in a few months. I like these side stripes.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone changing the Boss 302 graphics . . .-school-bus-yellow-boss-302r-01.jpg  
Old 9/27/11, 06:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roamer
...it really feels like flying under the radar without the decals.
Yes it does. I got really sick of having hordes of zit faced teeny boppers slobbering over my car every time I had it out. Cops could pick up on the two parallel lines for miles. Tape did nothing for me either, Roamer. So out came the heat gun...

Much classier machine now, free of taped on silliness...

The V6/KR spoiler further confuses enthusiasts that tend to be confused anyway. If Ford hadn't punched the fenders to receive the snake emblems, those would be gone as well.

I apologize for the mini-GT500 essay within a Boss forum but Roamer, I got your back. There is a truly beautiful car lurking beneath the tape. Kudos to you for having a sharp enough eye to unshackle the beauty from your beast.

Tob

Now get some real rims for that thing and lower it down from the stratosphere!
Old 9/30/11, 03:29 PM

Hey - great job. I like the photo with the scrunched up ball of stripes.

I was just on the Interstate and there's no question that the troopers eyes are drawn to stripes. That's the point of them - to attract attention. In today's world, who needs it. . .
Old 9/30/11, 05:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Roamer if you make your Boss look like that yellow one you posted, holy heck would it look sexy.
Old 9/30/11, 07:31 PM
Bullitt Member

That's the point of them - to attract attention. In today's world, who needs it. . .
With that statement in mind, so goes the faux cap and third brake light.

The above depicts a new factory decklid with the "fake cap to nowhere" holes welded shut, as well as the key hole and third brake light. Having one real gas fill point and one fake one is beyond silly to me. Paying homage to the original (however "politically retro" it may be) is a design cue and nothing more. It fills the void on the decklid that some find aesthetically pleasing to the eye (blech). And while the brake light definitely serves to function well from a safety standpoint, I simply don't like how it clutters up the rear. So I won't eliminate the light, just relocate it.

http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...ight_COUPE.pdf

The Boss seems to have a bit less clutter on the decklid face but I think I'd do the same thing to the faux cap. No spoiler, no satellite antenna, no faux cap, no brake light (on the decklid, anyway), no stripes, and NO Schleppy lettering. Debadgery can be so liberating!

Last edited by Tob*; 9/30/11 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10/2/11, 12:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not interested in removing the graphics unless it were for a race car wrap. Only thing I would consider if I were to change is to go to the '70 style scheme as seen on the #15 Multimatic Grand Am car.
Old 10/2/11, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tob*
With that statement in mind, so goes the faux cap and third brake light.

The above depicts a new factory decklid with the "fake cap to nowhere" holes welded shut, as well as the key hole and third brake light. Having one real gas fill point and one fake one is beyond silly to me. Paying homage to the original (however "politically retro" it may be) is a design cue and nothing more. It fills the void on the decklid that some find aesthetically pleasing to the eye (blech). And while the brake light definitely serves to function well from a safety standpoint, I simply don't like how it clutters up the rear. So I won't eliminate the light, just relocate it.

http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...ight_COUPE.pdf

The Boss seems to have a bit less clutter on the decklid face but I think I'd do the same thing to the faux cap. No spoiler, no satellite antenna, no faux cap, no brake light (on the decklid, anyway), no stripes, and NO Schleppy lettering. Debadgery can be so liberating!
Looks clean but that is a bit of work and $$ for not much return
Old 10/2/11, 12:16 AM

Yes it does. I got really sick of having hordes of zit faced teeny boppers slobbering over my car every time I had it out. Cops could pick up on the two parallel lines for miles. Tape did nothing for me either, Roamer. So out came the heat gun...

Much classier machine now, free of taped on silliness...

The V6/KR spoiler further confuses enthusiasts that tend to be confused anyway. If Ford hadn't punched the fenders to receive the snake emblems, those would be gone as well.

I apologize for the mini-GT500 essay within a Boss forum but Roamer, I got your back. There is a truly beautiful car lurking beneath the tape. Kudos to you for having a sharp enough eye to unshackle the beauty from your beast.

Tob

Now get some real rims for that thing and lower it down from the stratosphere!
Looks awesome w/ the stripe delete & the newer wheels!
Old 10/2/11, 08:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
Looks clean but that is a bit of work and $$ for not much return
Au Contraire!

It is a lot of work. The return, however subjective, is immeasurable. The suspension mods as well as the Whipple have changed the car into something I wanted from the start but Ford doesn't offer it that way. All I wanted was a stripper that performs at the snap of a finger. As to stickers, vinyl striping, tacked on plastic lettering and fake gas caps - they simply aren't in sync with my original desire.

Maybe I'm too old. But when I was a kid you could order a car that absolutely screamed when pushed but looked like grandma knitting in a rocking chair otherwise. If Ford was truly going retro they'd have done the same. But they won't and I can understand why.

I much preferred the old LX HO to the GT. The Bullitt made a worthy crack at carrying the torch. The Boss is that close at doing the same. Too bad Ford couldn't offer a credit for the car without the "Boss" striping and contrasting color roof/body paint schemes. Something like any one of these...

The wheel width and ride height are all wrong but I think you get the idea. And while those are simple screens taken from Ford's customizing website (http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/customizer/), I think it shows that Ford is at least tracking interest to see what people prefer. I suspect that BLING and pizzazz are killing subtlety in numbers when all is said and done.

I guess walking softly and carrying a big stick doesn't mean what it once did. But it does for me and maybe Roamer as well.
Old 10/2/11, 07:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Au Contraire!

I much preferred the old LX HO to the GT. The Bullitt made a worthy crack at carrying the torch. The Boss is that close at doing the same. Too bad Ford couldn't offer a credit for the car without the "Boss" striping and contrasting color roof/body paint schemes. Something like any one of these...

I guess walking softly and carrying a big stick doesn't mean what it once did. But it does for me and maybe Roamer as well.

All well and good, but what's up with the hood (fake) scoop??? If you want to fly UNDER the radar i believe that factory hood sans stripe would do just fine. Adding the scoop just replaced the stripes in my humble opinion
Old 10/2/11, 07:43 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
That's a shaker scoop, actually functional
Old 10/2/11, 07:51 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by mustangGT90210
That's a shaker scoop, actually functional
Not on a Boss. And what's up with the fake side scoops?
Old 10/2/11, 08:31 PM
Bullitt Member

All just Easter eggs. I wanted to see how many actually wandered away from any thread with "Track Key" in the title...

Old 10/3/11, 06:09 AM

It's interesting that Ford went to all the trouble of painting a contrasting color roof. Was that retro also? Ford's approach is as subjective as anyone else's. Someone with a yellow Boss has already painted his black roof yellow to match. And why a white roof on a red car, or kona blue? For that matter, what about the colors for the cars? Kona blue? Yellow blaze? Red wheels on the LS? I don't know how the original Boss was delivered, but you do see them at auctions without stripes and red wheels. I think it's what's under the skin that people are paying for, and what counts.
Old 10/3/11, 07:44 AM
Cobra Member

Au Contraire!

It is a lot of work. The return, however subjective, is immeasurable. The suspension mods as well as the Whipple have changed the car into something I wanted from the start but Ford doesn't offer it that way. All I wanted was a stripper that performs at the snap of a finger. As to stickers, vinyl striping, tacked on plastic lettering and fake gas caps - they simply aren't in sync with my original desire.

Maybe I'm too old. But when I was a kid you could order a car that absolutely screamed when pushed but looked like grandma knitting in a rocking chair otherwise. If Ford was truly going retro they'd have done the same. But they won't and I can understand why.

The wheel width and ride height are all wrong but I think you get the idea. And while those are simple screens taken from Ford's customizing website (http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/customizer/), I think it shows that Ford is at least tracking interest to see what people prefer. I suspect that BLING and pizzazz are killing subtlety in numbers when all is said and done.

The Boss was never "understated". They all had stripes. If you like the Grande with a 390 a Boss is not your cup of tea.
Old 10/3/11, 08:25 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

It's interesting that Ford went to all the trouble of painting a contrasting color roof. Was that retro also? Ford's approach is as subjective as anyone else's.
Not retro nor does it need to be. The new Boss 302's far exceed the performance capabilities of their older cousins and will hopefully make their own legacy.

Don't you guys know stripes are in?

Old 10/3/11, 09:41 AM

The stripes are all part of the "character" of the car, IMO.
Old 10/3/11, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

wow.........
Old 10/4/11, 12:46 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
The stripes are all part of the "character" of the car, IMO.
Do the guys that wear stripes behind bars doing 20 years to life have CHARACTER?
If you remove the graphics from any model Mustang they will just all look alike. How many different colors and wheels can there be. graphics are good. it gives you the freedom to express your Mustang in any way you choose and can be changed form time to time and very little cost compared to paint. I myself want my Mustang to stand apart from someone else's Mustang. I have no problem with zit faced teeny boppers slobbering all over themselfs wishing they owned it (LOL....Sorry). As for the Law Man he to can enjoy looking at the car. it sounds like you like to have just a little to much fun on the street and feel the need not to draw attenision. Your Kona Blue Stang will look like any other Kona Blue Stang. Good luck to you on your quest to go un-noticed.

Last edited by boss man; 10/4/11 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10/4/11, 01:54 PM

I think you confused me with the thread starter

Quick Reply: Anyone changing the Boss 302 graphics . . .