2012-2013 BOSS 302

Anyone AutoX their Boss yet?

Search this Thread

Old 5/17/11, 03:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone AutoX their Boss yet?

I am going to an autox this weekend. i am wondering if anyone has done an event in the boss yet and might have some tips for me on shock settings etc. i am assuming 5 like the track depending on how smooth things are. Anyone know what class the Boss goes into? i had been told by someone that the boss went into the modded classes even though it was stock.
Old 5/17/11, 03:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ShaneM
I am going to an autox this weekend. i am wondering if anyone has done an event in the boss yet and might have some tips for me on shock settings etc. i am assuming 5 like the track depending on how smooth things are. Anyone know what class the Boss goes into? i had been told by someone that the boss went into the modded classes even though it was stock.
Glad you asked as I was wondering the same thing. I have to go to an autox at an airport in a couple weeks. It's a high speed one and we use the taxiways and runways so somewhat of a hybrid road race/autox. I mostly do road course events and yes definitely setting 5. However, when I used to autox we found softer shock settings, particularly up front, gave you better bite cornering. I was assuming a setting 2 or thereabouts might be better for autox, at least on the fronts.

Last edited by cloud9; 5/17/11 at 03:46 PM.
Old 5/17/11, 03:48 PM
Cobra Member

cool so did this car end up in street prepared?
Old 5/17/11, 04:11 PM
Bullitt Member

V6 = DS (recently moved from FS)
GT = FS
Boss 302 = AS
Laguna Seca = not legal anywhere yet

http://www.scca.com/documents/Fastra...k-may-solo.pdf
Old 5/17/11, 04:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

cool so did this car end up in street prepared?
Can't remember honestly, but it had a lot of mods I just remember talking to someone about the shock settings which were adjustable 1-6 and found that 2 and 5 front/rear seemed to work the best. I think basically because of the lower speeds, if you had the fronts too firm, the car didn't dive enough when braking on turn in to bite. I never got too serious into autox so hoping one of you autox guys can chime in.......
Old 5/17/11, 04:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jsnyng
V6 = DS (recently moved from FS)
GT = FS
Boss 302 = AS
Laguna Seca = not legal anywhere yet

http://www.scca.com/documents/Fastra...k-may-solo.pdf
that class seems a decent fit for the boss, not that i have a chance in hell of winning anything lol. it sucks that the LS isnt allowed, i don't see how they can justify that when it and the street boss are 99% the same car. i realyl thought it woudl be in with all the other stangs, the shelby gt was the car to beat i guess they did'nt want to **** all those guys off.

Actually - it's in BS with the tuner stangs according to that link

Last edited by ShaneM; 5/17/11 at 05:03 PM.
Old 5/17/11, 05:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I believe the Laguna Seca is not being excluded due to performance but due to the very low estimated production numbers. The Laguna Seca is not in BS. Note that the PDF says "Stock Exclusion List". The Boss 302 was on that list, too, and got re-classified as A Stock.

Back to your original question of shock settings. I don't have your shocks, but I'm going to take a stab here since I've got Koni Sports. If 1 is full soft on yours and 6 is full firm, I'd try 3 up front and 4 in the rear and adjust from there. With the quick transitions and long sweepers of auto-x, you want the front to bite and not plow like a pig. Running the rears a little softer than you would at a road course will not upset the car as much in slaloms and will minimize power oversteer coming out of corners.
Old 5/17/11, 05:48 PM
Cobra Member

cool, thanks for the tips
Old 5/17/11, 06:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by jsnyng
I believe the Laguna Seca is not being excluded due to performance but due to the very low estimated production numbers. The Laguna Seca is not in BS. Note that the PDF says "Stock Exclusion List". The Boss 302 was on that list, too, and got re-classified as A Stock.

Back to your original question of shock settings. I don't have your shocks, but I'm going to take a stab here since I've got Koni Sports. If 1 is full soft on yours and 6 is full firm, I'd try 3 up front and 4 in the rear and adjust from there. With the quick transitions and long sweepers of auto-x, you want the front to bite and not plow like a pig. Running the rears a little softer than you would at a road course will not upset the car as much in slaloms and will minimize power oversteer coming out of corners.
Thanks. At least I was remembering somewhat correctly.
Old 5/17/11, 06:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
Thanks. At least I was remembering somewhat correctly.
Yeah, you definitely had the gist of it. I just think 3 and 4 is a better, more well balanced setup to start with and running a 2 up front sounds too low, but not having actually driven one it's hard to tell.

Edited to add: These are single adjustables right? Rebound only?

Last edited by jsnyng; 5/17/11 at 06:26 PM.
Old 5/17/11, 07:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I took mine to an Evolution Autocross school. I set the front to 5 and the back on 3.5. Not that that is Optimal, I was just experimenting. I got so engrossed in the day I forgot to try different settings. I had a lot of getting used to just the car.
The boss held its own with everything there. Carrera S 997, ZO6, S2000's. The only thing that I couldn't catch was a prepared Solstice GXP turbo trailer queen with about -4 degrees camber

Last edited by Bossdog; 5/17/11 at 08:21 PM.
Old 5/18/11, 05:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bossdog
I took mine to an Evolution Autocross school. I set the front to 5 and the back on 3.5. Not that that is Optimal, I was just experimenting. I got so engrossed in the day I forgot to try different settings. I had a lot of getting used to just the car.
The boss held its own with everything there. Carrera S 997, ZO6, S2000's. The only thing that I couldn't catch was a prepared Solstice GXP turbo trailer queen with about -4 degrees camber
Was Heyward Wagner one of your instructors? Evo Schools rock.

What's your definition of "held it's own with everything there"? All of the cars you listed should have been quicker on an Evo School course than your Boss assuming equal drivers.
Old 5/18/11, 07:46 AM
GT Member

Just remember, any modification other than FSB, "R" tires on factory size wheels and offsets, and legal shocks with factory springs, will put you in ESP. The class I'm preparing for.

Dave
Old 5/18/11, 07:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Heyward was there. I bested the M3 by .2 sec, the Porsche carrera S was .6 faster, the Driver was a long time Autoxrosser and Porsche driver. This was my 3rd season and first time with the Boss, so I was satisfied. The ZO6 was not an experienced driver, She was a few seconds back. I don't remember the Subaru WRX sti time. The S2000 and MX'5 were not that close. The Course was a big course, well suited to larger cars. (unlike most AutoX courses I run here in Michigan). I was very impressed. I left feeling the Boss could compete with most anythng stock. I might be mistaken, It was a small sample size, but I felt very good about the weekend! Junior took the boss for a run at the end of the session and bested me by .4 sec. I was pretty happy with this. I'm guessing he was only at 80 or 85% but... anyway, I was happy.
I used Sport mode traction control.

Last edited by Bossdog; 5/18/11 at 08:41 AM.
Old 5/18/11, 08:18 AM

I have run mine. Ran the shocks at 5 front and back. Next time I will try turning the front to 3 and go from there see if it helps it turn in and brake a little better. Set the 6 fastest time of the day in it. First time ever auto cross normally spend my time at the drag strip. I also pulled the block off plates in the exhaust I just love the sound. Braking I was not impressed with. It stops good but the ABS is a little more aggressive than it needs to be. My GT when I went with the Brembo brakes I noticed the ABS was more intrussive than with the stock ones. I was hooping the BOSS would be better. Maybe some different pads and DOT4 fluid will fix this or track key. Have to check out the brake thread.

Tried different stablity and traction control settings. Tried it with all off and was just to much then tried it with the track setting and it was better but still to much for the track. Better rubber and it may be the way to go. Then did a lap with everything on and took 3 seconds off the time. I also once I got into second it was the only gear you needed. It pulls so hard and revs so high it allowed me to contrate on the course.

Here is a vid go to about 6:30 and it's one of the runs. I also have some gopro footage when I get it from a friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQfJdYmq8CM
Old 5/18/11, 09:12 PM
V6 Member

I ran mine at a local "autocross". It's actually just a 1 km long go-kart track (no cones) but they call it an autocross.

Here's the low-def in-car video. I need to upgrade.
http://youtu.be/fWIIkIMIVD8

And a couple from outside.
http://youtu.be/SDG2L1Ry31E
http://youtu.be/08d13C1-pp8

Results are below. It provides an interesting comparison to some other cars.
http://nqsperformance.com/2011NQSAutocross1.aspx

I haven't yet found any wheels in the stock size. At least not in a matching set anyway. That 9.5 inch wide rear wheel is very limiting for those of us wanting to run in stock class.
Old 5/19/11, 07:38 AM
Cobra Member

Nice dude is that meter for lateral load? You were hitting 1.13g there? I assume you are all stock. What damper setting were you on?
Old 5/19/11, 04:08 PM
V6 Member

Nice dude is that meter for lateral load? You were hitting 1.13g there? I assume you are all stock. What damper setting were you on?
I'm using a Chasecam PDR100 with built in g-meter. The video displays longitudinal g's on the left and lateral g's on the bottom.

I left the shocks on 2 F&R. It was a cold day and slightly damp so I figured softer shock settings were the way to go.

The Pzeros gripped better than I expected. One thing to point out is that you can't compare my lateral g to what the magazines reviews post. It's pretty easy to generate more than 1 g in a 90° compared to a 200' diameter skid pad.
Old 5/19/11, 04:31 PM

Very good info in this thread, and awesome videos, thanks to all who've contributed so far!