2012-2013 BOSS 302

Answer to CEL at track

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/11, 06:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LateApex

I would like to see the default ECU reprogrammed to mirror the Track-Key style variance on the crank position sensor, and allow us some programatic way to disable the skip-shifting block that doesn't involve removing a factory solenoid on the tranny. I don't think that's unreasonable.
I don't see why they don't set the program to disable skip shift when you disable Advance Trac or put it into sports mode? Seems to me, if your disabling Advance Trac or putting it into sports mode, you no longer care about getting the best gas mileage possible.
Old 6/14/11, 07:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4pipes
First off, the error code on my car was P0300, random misfire, same as Cloud9.

My service adviser got in touch with Ford Engineering today and they are aware of the issue. Bottom Line from engineering: the Trackey will resolve the problem.

Here is the issue, straight from engineering:

When operating the car on the track there are rotational vibrations caused by the tires studdering across the track and running over apexes that get transferred through the drive train to the crankshaft. These minute crankshaft rotational irregularities are picked up by the crankshaft position sensor and the ECU trips the CEL calling it a random misfire.

UPDATE: the cumulative effect of multiple misfires triggers the limp mode. Also, for all of you left foot brakers, if you hit the accelerator and brake at the same time you can trigger the limp mode.
Crap. I'm a chronic apex thrasher. Just doesn't feel like a proper corner if I'm not grabbing a little curbing. No wonder I'm always kicking off the code. Now I'm really wary heading into BIR this weekend with all the Porsches. It's a rough track to begin with and the curbing is more like rumble strips. I can ignore the CEL, but limp mode on a very high speed track, quite frankly, is a little concerning. It's not like I want to raise my hand at the driver's meeting and say "Hey guys, if you see me throw my hazards on it means my Ford is in limp mode so try not to climb up my tail pipe".

I really wish Ford would release a software update for this....or obviously even better TracKey for "off-road" use.
Old 6/14/11, 07:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Also, for all of you left foot brakers, if you hit the accelerator and brake at the same time you can trigger the limp mode.
Does there have to be load on the drivetrain to cause this? Otherwise, won't a heel/toe downshift cause it when blipping the throttle? If it doesn't happen with the clutch engaged it's a non-issue.
Old 6/14/11, 07:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

My 11 year old ($13k) Focus has been at the track countless times over the years and has never exhibited this problem at it's extreme. Ford need to fix this for all 302's if its a repeatable issue.

An optional upgrade is not an appropriate way to fix something that affects all cars. I appreciate the fact that the Boss is much more of a car than the Focus, but that's exactly why Ford needs to set it right.
Old 6/14/11, 07:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Ronin38
Just stop the car, turn it off and wait a bit, then start it up again.
That works or mine has gone out of limp mode after about 30 seconds while still driving as well. I guess now that we know what the problem is I'll see if I can stay on track without exiting...or pit in if I'm in the neighborhood and shut it off and restart.
Old 6/14/11, 08:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
Does there have to be load on the drivetrain to cause this? Otherwise, won't a heel/toe downshift cause it when blipping the throttle? If it doesn't happen with the clutch engaged it's a non-issue.
I'm pretty sure the drive train must be loaded.
Old 6/14/11, 08:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm pretty sure the drive train must be loaded.
Or speed related. Every time I wash may car, I drive it up the street with my foot on the gas and the brakes to clean the rust off the rotors. No limp mode has been activated.
Old 6/14/11, 08:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Incidentally, fFord engineering told my SR that the tracKey will be available in August. It was written on my service bill.
Old 6/14/11, 10:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Incidentally, fFord engineering told my SR that the tracKey will be available in August. It was written on my service bill.
Does it have a date?
Old 6/14/11, 10:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I wish it did, I signed up for another track day in early august.
Old 6/14/11, 11:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Maybe it will be early August
Old 6/15/11, 12:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Vito
Maybe it will be early August
That would be pretty killer
Old 6/15/11, 12:12 AM

Crap. I'm a chronic apex thrasher. Just doesn't feel like a proper corner if I'm not grabbing a little curbing. No wonder I'm always kicking off the code. Now I'm really wary heading into BIR this weekend with all the Porsches. It's a rough track to begin with and the curbing is more like rumble strips. I can ignore the CEL, but limp mode on a very high speed track, quite frankly, is a little concerning. It's not like I want to raise my hand at the driver's meeting and say "Hey guys, if you see me throw my hazards on it means my Ford is in limp mode so try not to climb up my tail pipe".

I really wish Ford would release a software update for this....or obviously even better TracKey for "off-road" use.
I'm with you, man. On the tracks out here, banging curbs and using the dragon's teeth are the fastest ways around the tracks.

I didn't order this car to drive it gingerly...get this thing fixed!
Old 6/15/11, 01:04 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by karman
Thanks.
That's exactly what I was tryin' to get at.
Why doesn't it happen on the regular 5.0 or GT500 or the 4.6 3 valve?
Hhmmmm?
Right. I don't remember reading of the problem on the FR500's...
Old 6/15/11, 05:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

That's great news! The upside of that is I will already have been to at least three tracks that I have events scheduled for Sep/Oct. I will be able to compare lap times to know roughly how much gain we get with TracKey. It will really be interesting to compare lap times at the Boss event at MPH in late September versus running with the street tune. I really need to learn some patience.
Old 11/17/11, 08:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

For any of you experiencing this issue, the fix is in now. You need to have your dealer perform a 'crank tone ring re-learn procedure' to re-train the crankshaft position sensor. I had mine done yesterday. It does not require a PCM reflash.
Old 11/17/11, 02:10 PM
Cobra Member

For any of you experiencing this issue, the fix is in now. You need to have your dealer perform a 'crank tone ring re-learn procedure' to re-train the crankshaft position sensor. I had mine done yesterday. It does not require a PCM reflash.
How can you be sure it's fixed?
Old 11/17/11, 02:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Jza1736
Ship it down to Drew?
Old 11/17/11, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jza1736
Ship it down to Drew?
I have time to test in mid-December, or mid January.

I promise to conduct a rigorous test. Data logging and video recording available at no charge.

PM me if you are interested!
Old 11/17/11, 02:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
I have time to test in mid-December, or mid January.

I promise to conduct a rigorous test. Data logging and video recording available at no charge.

PM me if you are interested!
You are so generous!

Quick Reply: Answer to CEL at track