Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Answer to CEL at track

Search this Thread

Old 6/13/11, 05:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Answer to CEL at track

First off, the error code on my car was P0300, random misfire, same as Cloud9.

My service adviser got in touch with Ford Engineering today and they are aware of the issue. Bottom Line from engineering: the Trackey will resolve the problem.

Here is the issue, straight from engineering:

When operating the car on the track there are rotational vibrations caused by the tires studdering across the track and running over apexes that get transferred through the drive train to the crankshaft. These minute crankshaft rotational irregularities are picked up by the crankshaft position sensor and the ECU trips the CEL calling it a random misfire.

UPDATE: the cumulative effect of multiple misfires triggers the limp mode. Also, for all of you left foot brakers, if you hit the accelerator and brake at the same time you can trigger the limp mode.

Last edited by 4pipes; 6/13/11 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Update
Old 6/13/11, 05:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Wink Sounds interesting

But I'm not sure I am buying it.
I'll stayed tuned for the next exciting episode.
Old 6/13/11, 05:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

I buy it, straight from engineering.
Old 6/13/11, 05:46 PM
Cobra Member

I buy it, but it's kind of ****ty that in order for them to fix the problem, u have to buy an optional key for the car. I'm buying the track key anyway. I just don't feel that should be the answer
Old 6/13/11, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jza1736
I buy it, but it's kind of ****ty that in order for them to fix the problem, u have to buy an optional key for the car. I'm buying the track key anyway. I just don't feel that should be the answer
+1 on that. It should be fixed without TracKey.
Old 6/13/11, 06:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Come on, guys, it's not arms and legs.
Old 6/13/11, 06:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel better about the update part, as I was reading the first part the echo in my head was "that still should not engage limp mode". However still don't understand why a update to the software would not fix it without trackey. Just make it so a random misfire does not trigger it, not sure limp mode does a whole lot of good anyway in that case
Old 6/13/11, 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Maybe they figure that this circumstance only occurs under high performance driving and since virtually all Boss owners will buy the TracKey why bother changing the software now when the new key is coming out in a couple of months.

Last edited by 4pipes; 6/13/11 at 06:36 PM.
Old 6/13/11, 06:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Honestly sounds more like something they over looked. Don't take me wrong these guys put together a great car and are a lot smarter then me but the answer given sounds more like they are making excuses for something that should not be.
Old 6/13/11, 06:49 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Honestly sounds more like something they over looked. Don't take me wrong these guys put together a great car and are a lot smarter then me but the answer given sounds more like they are making excuses for something that should not be.
Thanks.
That's exactly what I was tryin' to get at.
Why doesn't it happen on the regular 5.0 or GT500 or the 4.6 3 valve?
Hhmmmm?
Old 6/13/11, 07:08 PM
GT Member

This may have to do with the smaller rear tire on the brembo GT . The Brembo car spin the rear tire easier than the boss may load the drivetrain less . The Boss gots a bigger rear tire maybe be able to plant the rear tire better and load the drive train harder . Humm going to a real tire like a slick or R compound tire may do this also maybe ?
Old 6/13/11, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by 4pipes
Maybe they figure that this circumstance only occurs under high performance driving and since virtually all Boss owners will buy the TracKey why bother changing the software now when the new key is coming out in a couple of months.
In a couple of months is why.
Old 6/13/11, 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

One Question.

Does the Track Key void the warranty or change the warranty to say 12 months or 12,000 miles?

Because if it does this will fix a lot of long term warranty problems for Ford.

Oh the Track Key masked a problem….You knew what you were getting into……………

Just saying...............
Old 6/13/11, 08:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by GT_350
One Question.

Does the Track Key void the warranty or change the warranty to say 12 months or 12,000 miles?

Because if it does this will fix a lot of long term warranty problems for Ford.

Oh the Track Key masked a problem….You knew what you were getting into……………

Just saying...............
Does not change any warranty.
Old 6/13/11, 08:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Does not change any warranty.
That's a relief.............
Old 6/13/11, 08:10 PM
Bullitt Member

How do you get the car out of Limp Mode if this happens??
Old 6/13/11, 08:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 4pipes
First off, the error code on my car was P0300, random misfire, same as Cloud9.

My service adviser got in touch with Ford Engineering today and they are aware of the issue. Bottom Line from engineering: the Trackey will resolve the problem.

Here is the issue, straight from engineering:

When operating the car on the track there are rotational vibrations caused by the tires studdering across the track and running over apexes that get transferred through the drive train to the crankshaft. These minute crankshaft rotational irregularities are picked up by the crankshaft position sensor and the ECU trips the CEL calling it a random misfire.

UPDATE: the cumulative effect of multiple misfires triggers the limp mode. Also, for all of you left foot brakers, if you hit the accelerator and brake at the same time you can trigger the limp mode.

Hum, If hitting apexes and track curbing causes this, wouldn't running over the wake-up rumble strips on the side of the highway have the same effect?
Do you left foot brake? Who wants to test this?
Old 6/13/11, 08:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bossdog
How do you get the car out of Limp Mode if this happens??
Just stop the car, turn it off and wait a bit, then start it up again.
Old 6/13/11, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by MJockey
Do you left foot brake? Who wants to test this?
I'll be happy to test this if my car ever gets here.
Old 6/14/11, 03:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd have to agree with the idea that this should be fixed in non-Track Key mode. If the Track Key calibration "detunes" the crank position sensor so that it doesn't trip the CEL, then there are two possibilities - 1, that the sensor is miscalibrated in the first place, or 2, and this is less likely, there is a looming mechanical issue with crankshaft play and tolerances. I think it looks like they maybe got a little aggressive with the sensors.

If that be the case, though, then I take issue with the resolution. Yes, of course I am getting the Track Key, like everyone else, however - at no point was it ever said that you HAD to get the Track Key to reliably track the car. It was advertised as being beneficial to do so, but by no means necessary. And all that's happened so far is a few of us have done HPDE-type track days - no actual competition yet. How much worse would that look in competition? Skip-shift behavior we've seen on the track falls into the same category for me, although that's one easy solenoid to remove. We've seen that be potentially catastrophic on the track already (one posted here that he nearly got a Grand Sport up his trumpet at the track due to the skip shift), but again, Track Key is the "fix" by disabling that.

I would like to see the default ECU reprogrammed to mirror the Track-Key style variance on the crank position sensor, and allow us some programatic way to disable the skip-shifting block that doesn't involve removing a factory solenoid on the tranny. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Last edited by LateApex; 6/14/11 at 04:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Answer to CEL at track