Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Another wrecked Boss

Search this Thread

Old 12/29/11, 03:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyfigfam
Bossdog-this photographer has several good pictures of you running before the Cobalt ruined things for you. You'lll need to go down in the different pages but I know he has several posted.

http://www.jlofoto.net/#/gallery/2011sep02-ohio-valley-scca-pdx-at-mid-ohio/
Thanks for the heads-up on the photos! I just ordered a few, they were really good!
Old 12/29/11, 06:57 PM
V6 Member

I never done a track event but now that i got a 302, # 2115 what's the average cost of track insurance . Sorry about your car.
Old 12/29/11, 07:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Takiotoshi
I never done a track event but now that i got a 302, # 2115 what's the average cost of track insurance . Sorry about your car.
About 300 a day or multi day same events.
Old 12/29/11, 07:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Here in so cal it's 400 a day. Anybody know a good co to buy it from?
Old 12/30/11, 04:50 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Krnnerdboy
Here in so cal it's 400 a day. Anybody know a good co to buy it from?
I use these guys

http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/
Old 12/30/11, 06:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow really sorry for your loss. I hope one day you can get your dream car again.
Old 12/30/11, 08:57 AM
V6 Member

So your BOSS got wrecked by this POS?

http://www.jlofoto.net/#/gallery/201...20110902-0970/

I'm pissed and it's not even my BOSS.
Old 12/30/11, 09:59 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I for one could not handle having my Boss wrecked (insurance or not) By some irresponsible jerk! BOSSDOG, You my friend handle ANGER better than me.
Old 12/30/11, 07:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think some of the criticism is unfair, life is a gamble. Just getting up in the morning, driving on public streets, getting on a plane, it's all a big gamble. I doubt that kid went there to wreck his car or anyone elses. Track days are open to all and yes there is a bit of personal responsibility to prepare your car correct with things like brake fluid but I have seen mistakes made by people that were suppose to be instructors.

When you track you have to assume, just like on public streets, that the other car or person can fail. If you do not want to accept that risk it is better to not hit the track. Without all the facts we can not assume the guy did anything malicious, I know I have made mistakes and learn something new almost every track day.

Tracking is a lot of fun and I would hope this does not turn people off. There is a lot of different info on this forum and I know it can get confusing for people new to the sport. Follow the guidelines set forth by Ford, leave your traction control on until you have years of experience and you should have lots of fun. However always remember that bad things can happen even to the best prepared cars and drivers.

I think the OP knew this going in and that is why he has handled it in stride.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 12/30/11 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12/30/11, 07:57 PM
Cobra Member

im curious about something, my track has a very strict no passing when near corner policy to the tune that you get one warning and then you get the ban hammer. did they not have anything like that in place? ECr has these handy signs as you near the corner, basically you can pass before you get to those signs on a long straight an nowhere else. I guess that's why since the track opened they have only had on accident at a non-race event. i'm really sorry to hear about your accident. i am assuming you tried your insurance and they said no?
Old 12/30/11, 08:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
I think some of the criticism is unfair, life is a gamble. Just getting up in the morning, driving on public streets, getting on a plane, it's all a big gamble. I doubt that kid went there to wreck his car or anyone elses. Track days are open to all and yes there is a bit of personal responsibility to prepare your car correct with things like brake fluid but I have seen mistakes made by people that were suppose to be instructors.

When you track you have to assume, just like on public streets, that the other car or person can fail. If you do not want to accept that risk it is better to not hit the track. Without all the facts we can not assume the guy did anything malicious, I know I have made mistakes and learn something new almost every track day.

Tracking is a lot of fun and I would hope this does not turn people off. There is a lot of different info on this forum and I know it can get confusing for people new to the sport. Follow the guidelines set forth by Ford, leave you traction control on until you have years of experience and you should have lots of fun. However always remember that bad things can happen even to the best prepared cars and drivers.

I think the OP knew this going in and that is why he has handled it in stride.
Old 12/30/11, 08:26 PM
Cobra Member

Most of us do our best to maintain and track prep our cars. Accidents and mechanical failures can happen at any time. At track speeds everything is multiplied. It sucks but this can happen to anyone, driving any car, anywhere.
Old 12/31/11, 07:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
It's stories like Bossdog's that make me not want to track this car with others around me. Sorry for your loss Bossdog.
I feel super bad for Bossdog too. However, I also Think about the idiot drivers I have seen on the roads in south Florida! I would feel just as bad if this happened on the road whiles I was getting on the throttle to enjoy my high performance vehicle. What I take away from this story is all of a sudden the $300 dollar insurance and deductible is not as scary as losing my favorite car and not being able to repair her myself. Holy Crap does that suck for Bossdog. I am glad you posted your story and sorry that the Cobalt didn't just take his dumb *** out alone!
Old 1/1/12, 04:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I appreciate every ones Input and Sympathy. First, No One got hurt and that was a blessing. Second, the Young man on the Cobalt had every right to be out there. We all accept 100% of the risk on the track so I don't really have hard feelings toward anyone. If he had more experience in proper maintenance, it would have been much less likely to happen. He did not respect the soft pedal he had begun experiencing laps earlier and had not bled his brake lines from previous track sessions. Open track sessions are just that. When you run with the "novice group" you have a higher than average possibility that you are out there with someone that does not know what they are doing on some level. It is the nature of being a NOVICE.

If anything I am pissed at the SCCA. No one at these SCCA sponsored events asks any questions on brake fluid or the maintenance there of (In my 2 SCCA sponsored track events experience). Of course it always comes back to honesty, anyone can lie. But IMO the SCCA should ask every participant, especially open events and especially Novice participants. "DO you have High-temp Brake fluid? Have you bled your brakes since your last HPDE?" If you cannot answer "YES" to both questions, they should not be on the track!! It should be required "Pre-TRACK" prep for any open track event. I may be wrong here, the SCCA may have something like that already in place but I have not seen it. Correct me if I am wrong.

That being said, I was an Idiot for being on the track without Track insurance!! That is mostly why I posted this. If you go back in the thread history, I started a thread about Track insurance some time back. I saw it was mixed response on the use of Track insurance. Hey, if you can afford to dump $45K into the trash, more power to you. (and I can see some of you can by the looks of your Stable). As OLOABoss said in this thread and the Track Ins. thread, If you can't afford to leave it on the Track, You should not have it there. A $5K or $6K Hit, most of us can swallow (the Track Insurance Deductable).

Hopefully no one else will have to experience a Track related accident. They seem pretty rare but they do happen. YouTube is full of the videos.
For the future, I will be more vocal asking questions of event organizers on brake fluid type and maintenance requirements, if for no other reason to open the eyes of others at the event that may not be aware of the danger of inadequate Fluid type or improper maintenance. I will also be vocal about making everyone aware they have ZERO recourse for damage to their property and person. Perhaps it will make these less prepared shy away, who knows??

However painful this experience has been, I have my full health, I can survive the financial hit and still pay my Bills, so No Harm done! I am out looking for a less expensive Track Car. (One I can leave at the track, OLOABoss!) Amazingly, it has occurred to me that I like tracking more that having the ultimate cool Mustang. And Believe me, I NEVER thought that would be the case for me, a life time Mustang Nut!

Last edited by Bossdog; 1/1/12 at 04:50 PM.
Old 1/1/12, 04:26 PM
Bullitt Member

What kind of event was this sponsored by the SCCA?
Old 1/1/12, 04:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
im curious about something, my track has a very strict no passing when near corner policy to the tune that you get one warning and then you get the ban hammer. did they not have anything like that in place? ECr has these handy signs as you near the corner, basically you can pass before you get to those signs on a long straight an nowhere else. I guess that's why since the track opened they have only had on accident at a non-race event. i'm really sorry to hear about your accident. i am assuming you tried your insurance and they said no?
I the events I have participated in, Novice groups can ONLY pass in designated areas of long straight areas, as I did. But when I slowed at the end of the straight to corner, the guy I passed could not stop. Progressive Ins. and All State, as well as many other national Ins companies have very specific exclusions on anything that happens on a permanent or semi permanent track surface.
Old 1/1/12, 04:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by orng302
What kind of event was this sponsored by the SCCA?
Performance Driving experience (PDX). Their web site has all the details of such events.

Here is the Official SCCA PDX document: http://cms.scca.com/documents/2011%2...%20-%20PDX.pdf

Last edited by Bossdog; 1/1/12 at 04:45 PM.
Old 1/1/12, 04:33 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 600 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Bossdog
I appreciate every ones Input and Sympathy. First, No One got hurt and that was a blessing. Second, the Young man on the Cobalt had every right to be out there. We all accept 100% of the risk on the track so I don't really have hard feelings toward anyone. If he had more experience in proper maintenance, it would have been much less likely to happen. He did not respect the soft pedal he had begun experiencing laps earlier and had not bled his brake lines from previous track sessions. Open track sessions are just that. When you run with the "novice group" you have a higher than average possibility that you are out there with someone that does not know what they are doing on some level.

If anything I am pissed at the SCCA. No one at these SCCA sponsored events asks any questions on brake fluid or the maintenance there of (In my 2 SCCA sponsored track events experience). Of course it always comes back to honesty, anyone can lie. But IMO the SCCA should ask every participant, especially open events and especially Novice participants. "DO you have High-temp Brake fluid? Have you bled your brakes since your last HPDE?" If you cannot answer "YES" to both questions, they should not be on the track!! It should be required "Pre-TRACK" prep for any open track event. I may be wrong here, the SCCA may have something like that already in place but I have not seen it. Correct me if I am wrong.

That being said, I was an Idiot for being on the track without Track insurance!! That is mostly why I posted this. If you go back in the thread history, I started a thread about Track insurance some time back. I saw it was mixed response on the use of Track insurance. Hey, if you can afford to dump $45K into the trash, more power to you. (and I can see some of you can by the looks of your Stable). As OLOABoss said in this thread and the Track Ins. thread, If you can't afford to leave it on the Track, You should not have it there. A $5K or $6K Hit, most of us can swallow (the Track Insurance Deductable).

Hopefully no one else will have to experience a Track related accident. They seem pretty rare but they do happen. YouTube is full of the videos.
For the future, I will be more vocal asking questions of event organizers on brake fluid type and maintenance requirements, if for no other reason to open the eyes of others at the event that may not be aware of the danger of inadequate Fluid type of improper maintenance. I will also be vocal about making everyone aware they have ZERO recourse for damage to their property and person. Perhaps it will make these less prepared shy away, who knows??

However painful this experience has been, I have my full health, I can survive the financial hit and still pay my Bills, so No Harm done! I am out looking for a less expensive Track Car. (One I can leave at the track, OLOABoss!) Amazingly, it has occurred to me that I like tracking more that having the ultimate cool Mustang. And Believe me, I NEVER thought that would be the case for me, a life time Mustang Nut!
Great attitude, and very true. Still sorry for your loss, hate to hear about anyone losing their baby.

Even if it is a Boss owner.

(J/K)
Old 1/1/12, 07:20 PM
GT Member

I have run with numerous groups, PCA, Chin, HOD, NASA, etc. All have tech forms to fill out , Some self tech, some require shop tech, but in the end all say YOU are responsible for your car. Where do you draw the line, some run ATE Super Blue and some say anything less than Castrol SRF is dangerous. Along the same lines are HP+ good enough or should it be full race pads for any car. The OP understands it is a risk to take it on
the track and he also has a right to be mad at the car that hit him. We all have 20/20 hindsight and in my experience the novice group is usually the safest group.

Peter
Old 1/2/12, 04:28 AM
Bullitt Member

No track insurane for me.... That is why you will hear me preach about prepping your car with the best SAFETY parts and procedures. Safety parts are:

Brake fluid - The best money can buy. From what I found I think it is Endless RF650. I bought some other stuff that was better than what most people run and I boiled my brakes going into a corner at about 100.....it was close.... Admittedly I am very hard on brakes. But that doesn't mean the parts I have should fail. It just means I need better parts....and some more instruction

Brake pads - race or track spec. None of this high performance street or dual purpose track/street stuff. Yes we understand they work fine for you now. But let's be honest, that's because you are slow. Once you get faster you will find out you need better pads because the ones you are using won't work all of a sudden.......

Tires: A high performane tire that is rated for ABOVE the speeds you will see, and are recommended and designed for track duty. You don't need a blow out while going fast or in a corner...

Lastly do everything that the Boss supplement outlines in the track section. It is there for a reason. It has been proven why those things are in there by people who didn't follow it.....

There are some other things that I consider musts but these are honestly more of a personal preference. By the way most all of this is not from my mouth. It is common stuff that was told to me by quite a few VERY experienced people in the business...

Quick Reply: Another wrecked Boss