2012-2013 BOSS 302

American Racing long tube Header questios...

Search this Thread

Old 11/21/13 | 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

American Racing long tube Header questios...

Ok here's the deal...I am considering purchasing the American Racing 304 SS headers for my 12 LS.
But I DON'T want to have to have the car tuned..The reason being I like my TracKey tune and I don't want to lose it.
I have been told that I can do this if I used the "catted" version. Same source also told me that I would have to change out my O2 sensors to the ones used in the Raptor pickup to keep from getting a code.
ANOTHER THING I DON'T WANT!
I understand that without a tune I am only getting a partial return on the power that can be gained over a tuned non catted version.
Those with long tubes PLEASE chime in and give me some guidance!
Thanks
Don
Old 11/21/13 | 07:47 PM
Post *****

You will get an check engine light because the O2 sensors are downstream and won't heat up as quick as the stock ones.

The tune would turn off the rear O2 sensors to keep the CEL from happening.
Old 11/21/13 | 07:51 PM
Post *****

I've heard about the Kooks green Cats. You might check into them with the kooks headers. They claim you won't get a code. Worth a phone call.

http://www.kooksheaders.com/green
Old 11/21/13 | 08:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

The tune will MAXIMIZE your power gains with headers. It is not necessary except to turn off the CEL for the P0400 cat efficiency codes. You can easily buy the spark plug antifouler-spacers and they may keep the code from lighting up, or you can try the o2 simulators which are resistors that plug inline and trick the CPU into thinking the cats are still there. The only o2 sensors that matter are the front wideband sensors that are what the CPU uses to tune the car and keep it safe!
Old 11/22/13 | 05:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

IMO, why do it if you aren't going to tune the car for them. You are going to spend about 1500 on the headers and x pipe, then if you don't do it yourself you are going to pay a few hundred to install it and then not tune for it. Seems like a waste of money since you probably won't gain much from it.
Old 11/22/13 | 06:31 AM
Bullitt Member

I kind of agree with Brandon302. Why not get the full potential from the add on? Kendall has posted dyno results of 15-20 hp gain across the Rpm band for the Kooks 1.75" dia, H-pipe, w/cats and Kooks mufflers. However, headers and dealing with the front/rear O2 sensors are a pita. I too have heard similar comments about the Kooks green cats being preferred. But I have no personal experience with long tubes. On my list, just not yet.

But another threshold question for those with long tubes (or CAI's for that matter) which had Track Key installed. I know from personal investigation, Ford was VERY criptic about their TK software and made it very difficult for tuners to go in and modify this code. They were really pissed that their OE tunes could be so easly "cracked" and paramaters altered which caused increased warranty issues.

Not that it can't be done, but several knowledgable tuners have told me it is very difficult to get around the software security Badillo Engineering (as a vendor to FR) installed in the CARB approved D-598-8 TK software. Tuners much preferred to modify the baseline ECU tune in our cars without having the TK software installed. Interested in owner experiences tuning their Boss after having TK installed.

Last edited by P0 Corsa; 11/22/13 at 06:34 AM. Reason: additional
Old 11/22/13 | 06:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
I kind of agree with Brandon302. Why not get the full potential from the add on? Kendall has posted dyno results of 15-20 hp gain across the Rpm band for the Kooks 1.75" dia, H-pipe, w/cats and Kooks mufflers. However, headers and dealing with the front/rear O2 sensors are a pita. I too have heard similar comments about the Kooks green cats being preferred. But I have no personal experience with long tubes. On my list, just not yet.

But another threshold question for those with long tubes (or CAI's for that matter) which had Track Key installed. I know from personal investigation, Ford was VERY criptic about their TK software and made it very difficult for tuners to go in and modify this code. They were really pissed that their OE tunes could be so easly "cracked" and paramaters altered which caused increased warranty issues.

Not that it can't be done, but several knowledgable tuners have told me it is very difficult to get around the software security Badillo Engineering (as a vendor to FR) installed in the CARB approved D-598-8 TK software. Tuners much preferred to modify the baseline ECU tune in our cars without having the TK software installed. Interested in owner experiences tuning their Boss after having TK installed.
If I got out of that what I think I did, then you want to know if/how people have tuned their cars after having the TK? If that's the question then the answer is, people just over write the tune.
Old 11/22/13 | 06:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

https://themustangsource.com/f652/ko...n-sale-526509/