Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

AED Tunes: First Impression

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/13, 09:23 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AED Tunes: First Impression/Drag Race Update

I just had the AED tunes installed (Performance/Lopey/Drag) along with Airaid Parnelli Jones CAI.

Now, I don't have a baseline dyno to compare before and after. And with the traffic tonight not many chances to really open up.

However, my first impression is WOW. There is a very noticeable increase in performance.

Lopey Idle Tune is like 4 X's better than TracKey Idle. car shakes.....
Customer Service from Shaun is extraordinary.

One Problem: Especially in the Lopey Idle tune the backfire from side exhausts has gone insane. I do have the Cat Deletes. With the TracKey, the bark and crackle was cool. But with the Lopey, its over the top. So, I'll probably look seriously at an X pipe.

I'll try to take it to the track tomorrow night and get some real results

Friday Night Drags at Texas Motor Speedway. No lights/timers, etc. Cars are set up by class and I'm in Sportsman, which is 8 Cyl, NA, Drag Radials ok. Since no timers, there are no race slips; just race and win; losers go home (you can buy back in on first race only and only one time)

I'm running the AED Performance tune. I didn't use the Drag tune because I'm running the stock Pirelli's; Track is not prepped and first time with this tune so I want to get a feel for it.

Launched at 15-1800 RPM, no power shifting.

First Race: 2012 Camaro SS, 6 speed; Boss wins.
Second Race: 2005 CTS V (stock) Boss wins by a bunch
Third Race: 2011 GT 5.0 with Bama Tune Boss wins
Fourth Race in Quarter finals: 2014 GT 5.0, tuned, headers, new MT ET Street Radials. He beat me two weeks ago in Semi's. He was tuned (i wasn't) both of us oem tires; beat me by a nose. He added the MT's this week; He hooked up way better with the DR's and I just couldn't keep from some spinning. It was close; but it's a loss.

Impressions on AED tune? Definite difference in performance on the track; felt it pull much harder. In the past, when I got close to or probably right on the 7500, the rev limiter kicks in. Of course with tune it's raised up, so she just keeps pulliing like a freight train.

I've got to add DR's this week.

Last edited by Boss949; 7/13/13 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Drag Race Update
Old 7/12/13, 03:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Noticed your post on BMO. Congrats!! Please keep us posted on your impressions and results. Many of us on the fence on what to do to increase performance.

Wayne
Old 7/12/13, 06:48 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,232 Posts
That is awesome.
AED is definitely one of the tuners I am seriously considering when it comes time to do some modding.
Old 7/13/13, 04:29 AM

I love to hear more also. i have been holding off on mods and tunes, but getting my list together and AED is just a couple hours drive north of me. So, I could get mine tuned up on the dyno
Old 7/14/13, 04:37 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by droptop03
I love to hear more also. i have been holding off on mods and tunes, but getting my list together and AED is just a couple hours drive north of me. So, I could get mine tuned up on the dyno
I'd encourage you to contact Shaun. I noticed you have TracKey. I do also and really enjoy it. However, since I'm not tracking it yet, but just casual drag racing, I decided to go with AED for better performance at the strip.

I added the Airaid CAI for Shaun's tunes. The good thing about Airaid is that it comes with MVT (venturi tube), which when installed, it will allow you to use the TracKey.

The TracKey has a decent Lopey Idle, but Shaun's is phenomenal!!!
Old 7/16/13, 05:31 AM
Cobra Member

mail order or dyno? whats your new redline?
Old 7/16/13, 03:54 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
mail order or dyno? whats your new redline?
Email. Actually, I bought the tuner from Shaun and the 3 Tunes were loaded on it. After Data Logging, he made adjustments via email.

Redline? I need to ask. I know that prior to the tune, I would hit rev limiter when I thought I was real close to 7500; last Friday night no limiter at all.

As per Shaun@AED 8100-8300. However, he advises to go no higher than 7900 because of power drop off as TiVCT reverts to Zero when hitting 8K.

Last edited by Boss949; 7/16/13 at 09:54 PM.
Old 7/17/13, 12:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boss949
Email. Actually, I bought the tuner from Shaun and the 3 Tunes were loaded on it. After Data Logging, he made adjustments via email.

Redline? I need to ask. I know that prior to the tune, I would hit rev limiter when I thought I was real close to 7500; last Friday night no limiter at all.

As per Shaun@AED 8100-8300. However, he advises to go no higher than 7900 because of power drop off as TiVCT reverts to Zero when hitting 8K.

When Jon Lund tuned my car back in April 2011 we ran the car to 8400RPM and it only dropped slightly on power. He has had the TiVCT mastered for over 4 years so the hp curve was VERY flat after 7400 untill 8400. Take a look at his tunes in addition to AED as Lund was the pioneer with the Coyote/Roadrunner/Copperhead tuning. Not to say Shaun isn't a great tuner but Lund also has great history and even had the "cam effect" tune before Ford released it. Here is my car in April 2011 with the "cam effect tune"

I think it sounds waaay more realistic than any other "cam tune" out there even with a crappy point and shoot camera video... and remember this was in APRIL 2011!!!!! My Boss was the first Boss any tuner got their hands on and wrote code for...pretty cool!

Last edited by 12C/OBoss; 7/17/13 at 12:50 AM.