Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Seats...

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/13, 03:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seats...

I have the Boss Recaro seats and like them, but I have heard they do not wear very well. I took my Boss in for its second oil change over the weekend, and my salesperson let me take a Focus ST out for a test drive to kill some time. It had all leather Recaros, which were pretty nice, and I noticed that the ST on the showroom floor had cloth and leather Recaros. I really liked the look of the leather and cloth ones...wondering what those cost and it would be cool if Recaro could put some Boss labels on a pair for me.

Dave
Old 6/17/13, 05:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be surprised if those wear any better than the seats in your boss currently. If your worried about keeping the original seats nice. Buy a set of Sparco seats. They make seats that are pretty nice for 400-1500 depending on what you want. And they would probably be lighter to boot.
Old 6/17/13, 07:37 PM

I was lucky enough to find a set of all black leather GT500 Racaro seats that were like new. Much better. The guy that I got them from won them at last years Woodward Dream Cruise Mustang Alley raffle. I traded him my stock Boss take off wheels and tires. I too saw the cloth Boss Racaros were not holding up well to the ingress /egress stresses on the bolsters. The leather Racaros seats are holding up much better. I also find them to get in an out of easier. I put the stock seats in storage. The down side to the leather is the monogrammed Cobra emblem in the headrest area but is not too noticeable as the thread is also black.
Old 6/18/13, 01:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Where are most seeing the wear? I have recaros in my 2 week old mustang so I have no experience regarding durability just yet
Old 6/18/13, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by dmichaels
Where are most seeing the wear?
I saw most of the wear in the outboard seat cushion bolster, drivers side. Ingress and egress of the seat by me dragging my fat *** across it.
I also noticed that the thread in the seat cover stitching would occasionally get hooked by something and pull a slight loop free of the cover.
Old 6/18/13, 08:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where are most seeing the wear? I have recaros in my 2 week old mustang so I have no experience regarding durability just yet
Outside seat bolster.
Old 6/25/13, 10:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

A friend of mine has a the 2013 GT with the Recaros, and they are made with different material. I don't think they are having a wear problem that the Boss cars are having.

Just a note, I went directly to Recaro about this issue, and spoke in person to the Director of Operations. Since I had just had my seats replaced, he couldn't see the wear as it was, but he wants to see them if they show wear again. He said that likely they will do it again, and that it may not be avoided. The BOSS required very aggressive seats, he said, and that my weight, (230 lb) might be a factor. I guess by aggressive he means that the material is meant to be sticky, so your butt doesn't slide around in the seat. Only way I can figure it is that if it is meant to be sticky, it will wear faster.
Old 6/25/13, 11:36 AM
Bullitt Member

20k on mine and i am a HUGE guy mine look fine. haven't seen any wear yet...
Old 6/26/13, 10:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i was at boss track attack june 13-14. i looked at the condition of the seats (recaro) and the steering wheel while i was in the cars and knowing they have been used for almost 2 years they looked very good. steering wheel showing some little signs of wear but nothing like if it was all leather.... the recaro seats were the cloth and they didtn have any issues to them...
we were in the cars about 5-6 hrs total for the whole day so they are getting used pretty good. good for racing in keeping you in the seat but not sure if they would be that comfy for every day. i have regular seats in my boss, not the recaro's
Old 6/26/13, 10:10 PM
Cobra Member

I'm just going to have my re-done in 6-8 years.
Old 6/28/13, 08:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Maybe since I am not a real big guy (190 or so) and I tend to be very careful entering and exiting the car I won't have issues. Wonder if they did improve for 2013 as well? Any common issues where the seatbelt rubs on the left side?
Old 7/1/13, 07:11 AM
V6 Member

My boss has been my daily driver for over 2 years now. I have over 32k on the odometer so it's been driven quite a bit. I haven't noticed any wear in the Recaro seats despite countless times getting in and out of the car. Plus, I'm bigger than average at 6'2" and 230lbs.
Old 7/2/13, 09:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

So now I am wondering, those of you who don't have problems.... Do you wear pants? I have these seats 600 miles and now starting to show wear again
Old 7/3/13, 07:41 AM
Bullitt Member

pants. check.

i'm 6'8" 300lbs or so I usually get in then lift my @ss over the bolster. (i have moved my seat down 3" and back 4" so maybe that makes it easier to get in and out?)
Old 7/3/13, 10:03 PM

I think it's all how you get out of the car no matter how tall you are.

To protect the side bolsters, i always lay my seat back when i exit the car and pivot over the seat bottom bolster by planting my hand on the kick plate. This way I don't drag across top/bottom bolsters.
Old 7/4/13, 07:13 AM
GT Member

I have an issue with my driver seat also..After looking at it closely I believe it is a self inflicted wound and it is very possible there are several out there that may have done the same thing not realizing it is an issue. After returning from a car show I was cleaning out the car and noticed the seat bottom fabric was snagged and looked like bad premature wear. I was pretty jacked about it as the car only has about 1800 miles. It was not till about a week latter i figured it out. The shorts I wore to the show had Velcro pocket closures the Velcro attaches to the seat and acts as sixty grit sandpaper. Tip of the day don`t wear pants with Velcro pockets!!
Old 7/4/13, 07:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mackds
I have an issue with my driver seat also..After looking at it closely I believe it is a self inflicted wound and it is very possible there are several out there that may have done the same thing not realizing it is an issue. After returning from a car show I was cleaning out the car and noticed the seat bottom fabric was snagged and looked like bad premature wear. I was pretty jacked about it as the car only has about 1800 miles. It was not till about a week latter i figured it out. The shorts I wore to the show had Velcro pocket closures the Velcro attaches to the seat and acts as sixty grit sandpaper. Tip of the day don`t wear pants with Velcro pockets!!
I actually just realized this day before yesterday. Almost Every time I drive this car I am wearing shorts with Velcro in the pockets and I thought that might have been the culprit. But as much as I wanted to spread the word, I also didn't want the Bigwigs to have a reason to deny a warranty claim. My seats didnt have a no Velcro disclaimer, however.
Old 7/4/13, 09:57 AM
GT Member

No wear here at 12k miles. I have a had a few annoying times where a buckle on the side of my pants catches the side of the bolster when I got in, but it was just some friction. The seat hasn't ripped or torn.
Old 7/6/13, 05:46 AM
GT Member

Maybe what we need are Velcro seats and a Velcro suit......HUMMMMMM.. we wouldn`t need seat belts???
Old 7/6/13, 03:15 PM
V6 Member

The seat bolster shouldn't wear prematurely. The solution isn't for us to be careful. The solution is for them to fix it. No seat should wear after 600 miles of normal use. These are cars, not delicate crystal.

Quick Reply: Seats...