2012-2013 BOSS 302

Adding Satellite Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 5/11/12 | 09:41 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by JeffIsHereToo
If you have a 2013 with Sync this is your better option even with the price difference. It is a Ford product so you're paying for that.
I have a new 2013 on order but that kit is expensive at $329

Last edited by MyStang2010GB; 5/11/12 at 11:20 AM.
Old 5/11/12 | 10:16 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
I have a new 2013 on order but the that kit is expensive at $329
You can get it for less sure but might want to wait. The issue for me is a need to find out how the iSimple option effects, if at all, Ford Sync. It wasn't designed with that in mind as far as I can see.

I love the Sync and how I can voice control my phone, iPod etc., and if this somehow intercepts or messes with that I'm not going to be happy. On the other hand I know that the Ford part will just integrate into the whole.

On the other hand I'm totally willing to let you be the Guinea Pig! But I'll wait to see how someone else makes out before I decide to go one way or the other. I would hate to save a few $$$ for one feature and waste $$$ already spent by loosing another...you know? I'd rather pay the extra $$$ and get everything.

Just my opinion!
Old 5/11/12 | 10:23 AM
V6 Member

BTW: I do use my Sirus app on my iPhone. The down sides of this is of course using your data plan, though I have the "Sort-of-Unlimited" plan. But more often people that want this because they travel out of radio range and that also often means no-cell service. So for the same reasons I got Tom Tom for my iPhone where often I need directions when there is no cell service to call, you may still wish to buy one of these units.
Old 5/11/12 | 01:15 PM

I'd be tempted to add this on mine since I quite enjoy Satellite radio. I have an iPhone with the Sirius app, but the sound quality is quite terrible. Maybe the radio in the Boss isn't good enough to show that off and I don't need to worry.
Old 5/11/12 | 02:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Does the Sirius App allow you to get all the channels or just a handful like the internet service?
Old 5/11/12 | 07:00 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Does the Sirius App allow you to get all the channels or just a handful like the internet service?
Yes. But check out the app MusicDock (on the iTunes Store) which is a 3rd party app that generally gets better reviews than the Sirius app.
Old 5/12/12 | 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by JeffIsHereToo

Yes. But check out the app MusicDock (on the iTunes Store) which is a 3rd party app that generally gets better reviews than the Sirius app.
Hey Jeff, have you posted pics of your GB boss? Even if you have post some more please. Looks great from what little is seen in the avatar
Old 5/12/12 | 10:28 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by phiggs54
Hey Jeff, have you posted pics of your GB boss? Even if you have post some more please. Looks great from what little is seen in the avatar
Thanks!

Here are some pics:

Exterior:
http://s1074.photobucket.com/albums/w401/JeffIsHereToo/

Interior:
http://s1074.photobucket.com/albums/...eToo/Interior/

Electronics:
http://s1074.photobucket.com/albums/...20Electronics/
Old 5/14/12 | 06:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by scott001313
Has anyone added satellite radio to their Boss radio/CD unit? I've noticed this is not a huge undertaking and can be seamlessly integrated into the existing radio unit. I presume the radio unit is pre-set to accept satellite radio -- correct? Welcome advice and comments. Cheers, Scott
Scott, I went with the new Scoshe dash unit, and installed an AVIC unit so that I had sat/nav/bluetooth and a much better head unit. It sounds a great deal better than the factory one.

Old 5/14/12 | 04:53 PM
GT Member

that looks awesome.............what did the entire set up cost you?
Old 5/14/12 | 05:08 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by BLAZN BOSS
that looks awesome.............what did the entire set up cost you?

+1!

You need to post prices and web sites to buy etc...help your fellow Boss owners out!
Old 5/14/12 | 05:12 PM
V6 Member

I found this:

http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/product/2255

The issue for me is you loose Sync with this solution...right? For 2012 owners this is a "no brainer" it looks like. 2013...not sure.
Old 5/14/12 | 07:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Scoshe unit was 300 hundred, then the price of your SIRUS unit, your choice of a good double din head unit- I used the AVIC Pioneer 920BT that I had had in my Bullitt, and I added in a back up camera. You will need a PAC wiring harness, finally a little harness to make your steering wheel controls work (the one linked to isn't the same one that I got, you just have to match it to your stereo, it picks up the wheel by remote control, how that works, I have no idea, but it's very very cool.)

I've never done any radio work before, and I got all of this to work, with some patience.

Around 500 bucks, plus whatever you decide to spend on the head unit, I guesstimate? I also got some new front speakers. The back-up camera was 75 bucks or so. It engages when I shift into reverse. The bluetooth/radio audio controls work pretty well, about as good as those in my wife's truck.

That's a helluva lot cheapter than Ford wants for the same goodies.

the backup camera is the black bar above the license plate.

Last edited by dean_acheson; 5/14/12 at 07:34 PM.
Old 5/14/12 | 07:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

The nice part about it is that I could have the factory radio back in with no problem in just a few minutes with very little work and nobody would ever know the difference since you don't mess with any of the factory wiring, etc., and nothing is modified. In fact, I just transferred everything over from my Bullitt with the exception of the 2012 Scoshe faceplate.
Old 5/14/12 | 10:24 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by dean_acheson
The nice part about it is that I could have the factory radio back in with no problem in just a few minutes with very little work and nobody would ever know the difference since you don't mess with any of the factory wiring, etc., and nothing is modified. In fact, I just transferred everything over from my Bullitt with the exception of the 2012 Scoshe faceplate.
Thanks!
Old 5/17/12 | 07:02 AM

Dean your setup is SLAMMIN!!!! Thanks for the details, I've been looking everywhere for the "correct" set up, and yours is it!

My 2010 GT had a sweet system and I do miss that! I mainly cruise and listen to smooth jazz, and 70's R&B and classic 70's rock. (Yes I'm a child of the 70's! LOL)

This step up with some Alpine speakers will do the trick! Agin thanks!

Ben
Old 5/17/12 | 12:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I really wish someone would come out with a nice flat panel screen after-market system that would fit into the stock NAV faceplate. I still just don't car for the location of the radio. Flat screen with cable connection to headunit that goes in the OEM location would be the bomb.... Pioneer are you listening!!!
Old 5/17/12 | 01:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks brother. Had to wait almost a year for Schoshe to finally come out with the facia, which works very well, including a dark screen when the headlights are turned on.

It's much better than the stock radio/sound wise, and I was not going to have some garmin screen stuck to my windshield or dash.

I wasn't very happy installing all of it, but was once it all worked, it felt good to figure all of it out, installation wise.

I hung the mike from the backside of the interior lights, and the nav antenna on the window sill of the passenger 3/4 window. The Sirius antenna sits on the corner of the trunk. It's all pretty factory looking / non-flashy. Unless someone knew, it would be hard to guess it's aftermarket, which was my primary concern.

Originally Posted by Benjammin1829
Dean your setup is SLAMMIN!!!! Thanks for the details, I've been looking everywhere for the "correct" set up, and yours is it!

My 2010 GT had a sweet system and I do miss that! I mainly cruise and listen to smooth jazz, and 70's R&B and classic 70's rock. (Yes I'm a child of the 70's! LOL)

This step up with some Alpine speakers will do the trick! Agin thanks!

Ben
Old 6/2/12 | 04:45 PM
V6 Member

I'll be installing the isimple in my 2013 with sync next weeks some time. I needed to go with it because I already have the SCC1 tuner with a lifetime subscription from my last car.

Since it just mimics the factory tuner, it should not interfere with sync at all.
Old 6/14/12 | 08:51 PM

sat and ipod

i just got a 2013 gt base and want to add satellite. looks like the i simple will work but i have a question for those who have done it. Mine has sync and my iphone4 music player works through the usb port in the center console. Does the radio display what song is playing through the iphone with the Isimple because mine does not in the base unit via usb port and my iphone screen just reads accessory connected. if thats the the case the line out at least lets me see what song is playing if i look at the phone. Kinda longwinded just got questions

Quick Reply: Adding Satellite Radio?