Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

#725 - the Eagle has landed

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/11, 11:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#725 - the Eagle has landed

white car. picked it up today at 2pm from the Ford Store Morgan Hill. Very impressive dealership experience...I highly recommend them.

I spent most of the rest of the day driving it or pouring over every little detail on the car.

my 13 yr old son was blown away. my 10 yr old daughter giggled with delight. I also giggled. a lot.

ran with the dampers on 2, then on 5. 5 is certainly more firm, but very streetable.

car had 17 miles on it when I picked it up. it was fun on the way home, but a little tame. got home at mile 35...next time out the car had been transformed into the 'oh-my' that now is. I used the break-it-in-hard approach. I visited friends and relatives, crossed paths with a '70 boss 302, got lots of thumbs up, and even had one guy ask if it'd be ok to take pics of the car. got home at 9:30. none of us wanted to get out of the car.

the motor is amazing - pulls and pulls. but shoots to redline so fast it's incredible. I kept bumping off the rev limiter...when I think of 'pull and pull' I usually think of a car that takes a long time to rev to the limit. not the boss. the rev's come fast. and the power band is so linear.
the sounds are truly inspiring. I ran with and without discs. I did like it better without, but it's a lot of sound for sure.

transmission is excellent. direct, smooth. clutch feel is very approachable.

brakes: don't know yet - smooth with great pedal feel on the the street.

suspension - the car just feels planted everywhere. I have not pushed it very hard.

steering feel - very good, but not great. my last couple cars have been highly-prepped boxster and caymans. the connection to the car through the steering wheel in those cars is completely telepathic. the boss feels very good, but not as direct. it's not a matter of weighting, I was on sport setting the whole time. it's just connectedness that's a bit lacking.

Seats - great

steering wheel - great

shift **** - great

other controls - I really like the other controls and the way the car is laid out. as has been said many times, some of the materials could be nicer, but overall, the car's really comfortable inside.

I'm just really, really, pleased.
as an ex-Ford employee, I'm really proud.
as a car buff, I'm blown away.
and as a guy who grew up in a Ford family...I'm stoked to be back to my 'roots.'
Old 6/16/11, 11:49 PM
Cobra Member

Very nice review. Enjoy that beauty

Oh yah

Old 6/17/11, 12:11 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fuhrius
I used the break-it-in-hard approach.
the motor is amazing - pulls and pulls. but shoots to redline so fast it's incredible.

suspension - the car just feels planted everywhere. I have not pushed it very hard.

steering feel - very good, but not great. my last couple cars have been highly-prepped boxster and caymans. the connection to the car through the steering wheel in those cars is completely telepathic. the boss feels very good, but not as direct. it's not a matter of weighting, I was on sport setting the whole time. it's just connectedness that's a bit lacking.

and as a guy who grew up in a Ford family...I'm stoked to be back to my 'roots.'
Awesome!

look... the SRA is just a diffrent feel - doesn't make it bad, just different - that an experienced driver 'knows'.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/17/11 at 12:13 AM.
Old 6/17/11, 08:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Big time congrats!!!! If I see a white blur go by me, I'll know it's you
Old 6/17/11, 08:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

My friend said his face flew off when I showed him the brakes!

Great to hear you got it. Was wondering if you were going to get it yesterday.
Old 6/17/11, 08:36 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats! Can't wait to see it.
Old 6/17/11, 09:30 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Great review and this speaks volumes! Where's the photos?
Old 6/17/11, 10:25 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Awesome!

look... the SRA is just a diffrent feel - doesn't make it bad, just different - that an experienced driver 'knows'.
SRA is nice and predictable. Forget all those IRS loving haters. They are are only. And the haters gonna hate.

Also it's nice to see the Boss numbers getting higher now. I'll be able to snag one in a few years for cheap.

Last edited by BlueBossS197; 6/17/11 at 10:27 AM.
Old 6/17/11, 11:40 AM
Bullitt Member

pics and misc

a few terrible pics attached...I'm going to be doing a drive up hwy 9 (big basin road and onto skyline blvd today...I'll get better pics then)...these just kinda prove that I actually have it ;-)

one of 'em has my sales guy in it, one has the detail guy in it (who did a great job...spent hours on it) and one of me and my son in front of the store...I wasn't paying attention to much other than the car, obviously, as I parked in the handicapped spot!
Attached Thumbnails #725 - the Eagle has landed-img_1446.jpg   #725 - the Eagle has landed-img_1447.jpg   #725 - the Eagle has landed-img_1449.jpg   #725 - the Eagle has landed-img_1450.jpg  
Old 6/17/11, 11:42 AM
Bullitt Member

more

pics

having pic problems...more to come later, hopefully.

Last edited by fuhrius; 6/17/11 at 11:44 AM.
Old 6/17/11, 11:47 AM
GT Member

Congrats on the new delivery, more people like you (us) need these cars. They should not be trailer queens like I fear most of the LS cars will be.

Good news for sure for all us waiting on our cars. My dealer has confirmed my car and all Boss cars are off of the hold shipment order. Claims mine is marked priority ship. Hope to get it in a couple of days. Build date was May 14. ETA was wk of May 31.

Last edited by davegush; 6/17/11 at 11:50 AM.
Old 6/17/11, 11:55 AM
V6 Member

white car. picked it up today at 2pm from the Ford Store Morgan Hill. Very impressive dealership experience...I highly recommend them.

I spent most of the rest of the day driving it or pouring over every little detail on the car.

my 13 yr old son was blown away. my 10 yr old daughter giggled with delight. I also giggled. a lot.

ran with the dampers on 2, then on 5. 5 is certainly more firm, but very streetable.

car had 17 miles on it when I picked it up. it was fun on the way home, but a little tame. got home at mile 35...next time out the car had been transformed into the 'oh-my' that now is. I used the break-it-in-hard approach. I visited friends and relatives, crossed paths with a '70 boss 302, got lots of thumbs up, and even had one guy ask if it'd be ok to take pics of the car. got home at 9:30. none of us wanted to get out of the car.

the motor is amazing - pulls and pulls. but shoots to redline so fast it's incredible. I kept bumping off the rev limiter...when I think of 'pull and pull' I usually think of a car that takes a long time to rev to the limit. not the boss. the rev's come fast. and the power band is so linear.
the sounds are truly inspiring. I ran with and without discs. I did like it better without, but it's a lot of sound for sure.

Seats - great

steering wheel - great

shift **** - great

other controls - I really like the other controls and the way the car is laid out. as has been said many times, some of the materials could be nicer, but overall, the car's really comfortable inside.

Awesome review dude. Enjoy it! it only gets better!
Old 6/17/11, 12:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SWEET
Old 6/17/11, 01:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Great to hear! My car came in yesterday morning. I'm currently in Jamaica and very anxious to pick her up Monday morning. Hopefully will have video of how she sounds up Monday night. Restrictor plates are out, roush axle backs are on and it's just waiting for me to experience all the greatness you described
Old 6/17/11, 01:35 PM
Cobra Member

SWEEEEET ride!
Old 6/17/11, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

ok, a little more

we drove about 100 miles today, winding mountain roads in the santa cruz mountains. hwy 9 - Big Basin Road - I grew up right at the base of it doing what we used to call 'Basin Racin'...ok we weren't poets. up to skyline blvd, hwy 35, overlooking the redwoods and the pacific ocean, though today was pretty overcast. attached a few pics, because I said I would. I'm not a tease on the forums...but I won't tell you if I'm a tease in real life ;-)

then back down to my local race shop for a chat / once over with all the boys. that place is full of impressive hardware...997 gt3 cup car, 430 challenge car, mini's, hard core bmw's...you get the point. oh, and an electric powered porsche 928...now that's 'risky business' (ok, I'm also into obscure move references...and classic 80's movies)

regarding the car - it continues to surprise and delight. I still haven't pushed the car very hard, but it's already showing an understeer tendency for my taste. I've been driving with full traction assist on...the last 10 years I've been in cars with zero electronic assist other that ABS, but they've also been lower power. I am amazed at how well the advancetrac keeps things buttoned down for you. the last big-power car I drove was an 06 fgt for a few hours (thanks for a very good, and trusting, friend) and with zero nanny on board on that car...wow, what a handful...in a darn good way.

back to the boss...it amazes me that the nanny can keep you so well planted without making it's presence obvious....it's very good.

I'd prefer more rotation earlier. I think add'l front camber will do worlds of good for the car and the manufacturers of tires...I think that beyond the neg .-7 ish of camber from the factory, this 3600 pounder is going to go through tires like Newt Gingerich goes through wives.

transmission - still that big clunk engagning first...no worries...it's an amazing feeling box. (don't go there, the best jokes are left unsaid)

ran with dampers on 4 up front and 3 in the rear...felt REALLY good for spirited street driving. the numbers on the rear dampers are hard to see and the dail just keep turning (ie. it doesn't stop at 1 and 5, it just keeps spinning, so you really have to be able to see the dial). I used a small screwdriver and a lanky 13 year old boy who volunteered to climb into the trunk to adjust them. I believe you can get the screwdrivers at any reputable hardware store any day of the week. the other tool is harder to come by, reputably. I will, obviously, be renting mine out, rates TBD.

I left the discs out. gets loud after many hours of cruising.

my daughter fell asleep in the back seat again (during the day, even!) she's 10...that's weird. she said it that between the physical rumble of the motor and the soft seats it felt like a massage chair back there...and the back seats feel like they have a moonroof because the glass extends so far back - my wife's car is an lr3 so the kids are used to having glass above them.

here's something curious - I've never felt skip shift. BUT, as I was coming to a slow stop at yesterday, I was toggling through the computer with the 'info' or 'setup' buttons...and I saw something flash by on the screen that said 'skip shift 1-4' and then it was gone....I was just flipping through like you did with a tv remote before there was DVR. I haven't been able to replicate it...but I swear it was there.

checked all the fluids. they were perfect. tire pressures, perfect.

another thing that kept coming to mind: my son put it this way - after having been on many drives with me in the two-seaters....he said "you're not driving like you usually do" referring to my seemingly slow pace. I was going the same grandfatherly pace I always do with the kids in the car (24 years with no moving violations or accidents on the street - knock on wood) - it just seems slower in the boss. the engine seems bored...willing, but bored, at that pace. I almost never wanted to leave third gear. yesterday, I though second gear was the star because of the immense thrust. today, third gear is the star because of it's immense range. there's something about driving low-powered cars...they let you 'row the gears' all the time...which, as a driver, is gratifying. in the boss, if you're rowing gears, you better have a spotter or a very wide open road.

this car gets going fast, fast. if you know what I mean.

Last edited by fuhrius; 6/17/11 at 08:19 PM.
Old 6/17/11, 08:21 PM
Bullitt Member

ok, a little more

we drove about 100 miles today, winding mountain roads in the santa cruz mountains. hwy 9 - Big Basin Road - I grew up right at the base of it doing what we used to call 'Basin Racin'...ok we weren't poets. up to skyline blvd, hwy 35, overlooking the redwoods and the pacific ocean, though today was pretty overcast. attached a few pics, because I said I would. I'm not a tease on the forums...but I won't tell you if I'm a tease in real life ;-)

then back down to my local race shop for a chat / once over with all the boys. that place is full of impressive hardware...997 gt3 cup car, 430 challenge car, mini's, hard core bmw's...you get the point. oh, and an electric powered porsche 928...now that's 'risky business' (ok, I'm also into obscure move references...and classic 80's movies)

regarding the car - it continues to surprise and delight. I still haven't pushed the car very hard, but it's already showing an understeer tendency for my taste. I've been driving with full traction assist on...the last 10 years I've been in cars with zero electronic assist other that ABS, but they've also been lower power. I am amazed at how well the advancetrac keeps things buttoned down for you. the last big-power car I drove was an 06 fgt for a few hours (thanks for a very good, and trusting, friend) and with zero nanny on board on that car...wow, what a handful...in a darn good way.

back to the boss...it amazes me that the nanny can keep you so well planted without making it's presence obvious....it's very good.

I'd prefer more rotation earlier. I think add'l front camber will do worlds of good for the car and the manufacturers of tires...I think that beyond the neg .-7 ish of camber from the factory, this 3600 pounder is going to go through tires like Newt Gingerich goes through wives.

transmission - still that big clunk engagning first...no worries...it's an amazing feeling box. (don't go there, the best jokes are left unsaid)

ran with dampers on 4 up front and 3 in the rear...felt REALLY good for spirited street driving. the numbers on the rear dampers are hard to see and the dail just keep turning (ie. it doesn't stop at 1 and 5, it just keeps spinning, so you really have to be able to see the dial). I used a small screwdriver and a lanky 13 year old boy who volunteered to climb into the trunk to adjust them. I believe you can get the screwdrivers at any reputable hardware store any day of the week. the other tool is harder to come by, reputably. I will, obviously, be renting mine out, rates TBD.

I left the discs out. gets loud after many hours of cruising.

my daughter fell asleep in the back seat again (during the day, even!) she's 10...that's weird. she said it that between the physical rumble of the motor and the soft seats it felt like a massage chair back there...and the back seats feel like they have a moonroof because the glass extends so far back - my wife's car is an lr3 so the kids are used to having glass above them.

here's something curious - I've never felt skip shift. BUT, as I was coming to a slow stop at yesterday, I was toggling through the computer with the 'info' or 'setup' buttons...and I saw something flash by on the screen that said 'skip shift 1-4' and then it was gone....I was just flipping through like you did with a tv remote before there was DVR. I haven't been able to replicate it...but I swear it was there.

checked all the fluids. they were perfect. tire pressures, perfect.

another thing that kept coming to mind: my son put it this way - after having been on many drives with me in the two-seaters....he said "you're not driving like you usually do" referring to my seemingly slow pace. I was going the same grandfatherly pace I always do with the kids in the car (24 years with no moving violations or accidents on the street - knock on wood) - it just seems slower in the boss. the engine seems bored...willing, but bored, at that pace. I almost never wanted to leave third gear. yesterday, I though second gear was the star because of the immense thrust. today, third gear is the star because of it's immense range. there's something about driving low-powered cars...they let you 'row the gears' all the time...which, as a driver, is gratifying. in the boss, if you're rowing gears, you better have a spotter or a very wide open road.

this car gets going fast, fast. if you know what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails #725 - the Eagle has landed-img_1460.jpg   #725 - the Eagle has landed-img_1466.jpg   #725 - the Eagle has landed-img_1467.jpg   #725 - the Eagle has landed-img_1469.jpg   #725 - the Eagle has landed-img_1474.jpg  

Old 6/17/11, 08:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Totally get what you mean about the gears on this car. Used to shift the Bimmer a lot to keep on top of the power whereas today played a little with an AMG C63 Coupe and was still accelerating well above limit when I realized I still had plenty of RPMs left and 2 more gears available. Crazy. Got a big thumbs up from the Merc driver. This car is insane.
Old 6/17/11, 09:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Congratulations, John. Car looks great. I'll be representing the Performance White Bosses at the VMOA show at De Anza tomorrow.
Old 6/17/11, 09:50 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

John, another great post and you have me salivating. Come on Ford please ship my Boss!

Quick Reply: #725 - the Eagle has landed