2012-2013 BOSS 302

302S hood installed and grill delete mod

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/11 | 11:14 AM
GT Member

302S hood installed and grill delete mod

I jut installed the 302S hood from Tiger Racing.
I bought the fibergalss version. I was very impressed with the fit and finish on this product. I didn't have to make any alignment adjustments at all.

The hood weighed in at 19lbs. Very light, especially compared to the stock hood.

I'll install the hood pins at a later date

I removed the grille for the additional cooling benefits as noted by the others on this forum. ( Thanks nota4re!!) Yes, the grille is pretty easy to remove, however, on mine, one clip is extremely stubborn. And of course it is located in the hard to access area. Also, I was concerned about debris without some sort of screen.

I bought the screen at the local hardware store. I'm going to redo the top screen again. As you might be able to see in one of the pics I cut ito short on the passenger side so I cobbled some addition screen on.

I used a black edging protection on the top of the screen that you find on late model cars around the door edges. Think '65 era Mustang.

I am also going to pick up some black zipties and chage out the white.

I know it looks a little rough without some front grille trim, but I'm more concerned about function than form when it comes to cooling performance. I'd like to find just the surround, without the inner part of the grille. I might have to spring for another Boss grill and start cutting I guess. ( Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!)

Old 8/27/11 | 11:42 AM
GTR Member

It looks very unfinished right now. I think with a little paint on the hood and installing a grille surround with mesh in there would make it look much more cohesive. To be honest, it almost looks like you just had it back from a front end collision and haven't got the paint work done yet.

The more I look at this hood though, the more I like it.
Old 8/27/11 | 11:58 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
It looks very unfinished right now. I think with a little paint on the hood and installing a grille surround with mesh in there would make it look much more cohesive. To be honest, it almost looks like you just had it back from a front end collision and haven't got the paint work done yet.

Yeah, definetly going to look for a surrround.

The hood is finished. I wanted a non glaring hood. My body shop used a flattening agent in the clearcote.
Old 8/27/11 | 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I like the hood, but am not digging the chicken coop in the front of the 50K race car.. It does look a collision that hasn't been repaired yet, and the chicken wire makes it look as though there are no plans to fix it.
Old 8/27/11 | 12:05 PM
Banned

It looks off because the top is gloss and the hood is flat.
Old 8/27/11 | 12:56 PM
Cobra Member

Love the hood! Not a fan of the flat black
Old 8/27/11 | 03:01 PM
V6 Member

I'm diggin the hood!
Paint the screen black maybe. Or, what I plan to do, is get home screen mesh and aluminum frame and make a custom size to slip in front of the air conditioning evaporator. I've done this before, the mesh is tiny to keep the bugs out and very tough and has no significant effect on air flow.
Yes, a replacement grill with the center section removed for the track would make it less red-neck in appearance.
Where did you purchase the hood?
Thanks for sharing your progress.
Rick
Old 8/27/11 | 03:35 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by rmaginnis
I'm diggin the hood!
Paint the screen black maybe. Or, what I plan to do, is get home screen mesh and aluminum frame and make a custom size to slip in front of the air conditioning evaporator. I've done this before, the mesh is tiny to keep the bugs out and very tough and has no significant effect on air flow.
Yes, a replacement grill with the center section removed for the track would make it less red-neck in appearance.
Where did you purchase the hood?
Thanks for sharing your progress.
Rick
Thanks man!
Good idea about painting the screen black.
Yeah, it does look rough right now, but since this car will be primarily for the track, I'm not so much worried about looks as I am about functionality and maintaining performance.
And from what I've read from a few other's already tracking this car, removing the grille makes for substantial gains in added airflow for needed cooling.

The hood is from Tiger Racing. They're the same company Ford is using for the hoods on their 302S cars.

http://tiger-racing.com/tigerorg/index.html

Excellent company to deal with! They also offer a carbon fiber version.

The hood is very well done. I installed it myself. ( You should have seen all the rigging I used! )
Like I said earlier. I didn't have to adjust or align anything. Fit perfectly.

Last edited by mammothcar1; 8/27/11 at 03:44 PM.
Old 8/27/11 | 06:08 PM
Bullitt Member

So I see you're using the factory hood latch ?

Also, price for the hood if you don't mind me asking ?
Old 8/27/11 | 06:10 PM
Cobra Member

Carbon was 1500 shipped to NY
Old 8/27/11 | 06:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Painted carbon hood looks a little different. But the carbon fits well but the surface is not flat. Still needs more blocking.

Old 8/27/11 | 06:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mammothcar1

Thanks man!
Good idea about painting the screen black.
Yeah, it does look rough right now, but since this car will be primarily for the track, I'm not so much worried about looks as I am about functionality and maintaining performance.
And from what I've read from a few other's already tracking this car, removing the grille makes for substantial gains in added airflow for needed cooling.

The hood is from Tiger Racing. They're the same company Ford is using for the hoods on their 302S cars.

http://tiger-racing.com/tigerorg/index.html

Excellent company to deal with! They also offer a carbon fiber version.

The hood is very well done. I installed it myself. ( You should have seen all the rigging I used! )
Like I said earlier. I didn't have to adjust or align anything. Fit perfectly.
That rear spoiler is a little small. IMO
Old 8/27/11 | 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by J1000
I like the hood, but am not digging the chicken coop in the front of the 50K race car.. It does look a collision that hasn't been repaired yet, and the chicken wire makes it look as though there are no plans to fix it.
That's what I was thinking...Is the cooling problem so bad to do that ?

Old 8/27/11 | 07:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Have you considered the Roush grill? Clean looking and flows well.

http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=1268
Old 8/27/11 | 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Overboost

+1 to all of this.
Old 8/27/11 | 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by donjuaniii

That's what I was thinking...Is the cooling problem so bad to do that ?

Grills also keep things like rocks from punching holes in the radiator. Now that would be a cooling problem.. The hood is cool though; that's probably the first time I've seen a black hood on a non-black car that I actually liked, but what about having the shop re-clear the roof with the flat clear to match?
Old 8/27/11 | 08:15 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by BOSS_man
Have you considered the Roush grill? Clean looking and flows well.

http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=1268
This will be the way I go if I have a cooling problem.

You mentioned you were going to do something different for the front grill so I won' t comment on that. The hood looks terrific but I agree with some of the others that a similar sheen on the roof would look better. Also add a LS rear spoiler.

So the finish on the FG hood is nice? The painted surface is as smooth as the rest of your car?

Last edited by 5 DOT 0; 8/27/11 at 08:16 PM.
Old 8/28/11 | 06:17 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by davesvt2000
So I see you're using the factory hood latch ?

Also, price for the hood if you don't mind me asking ?
I am using the factory hood latch for now.
I'll be installing the hood pins I have sometime next week.

Price was $749ish for fiberglass.
Old 8/28/11 | 06:26 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
This will be the way I go if I have a cooling problem.

You mentioned you were going to do something different for the front grill so I won' t comment on that. The hood looks terrific but I agree with some of the others that a similar sheen on the roof would look better. Also add a LS rear spoiler.

So the finish on the FG hood is nice? The painted surface is as smooth as the rest of your car?
I am considering the Roush grille. It's still a work in progress regarding the front surround.

The finish on the fiber glass hood is very good. It's a very smooth gelcote.

I agree that a similar high gloss look would match the rest of the black on the car, but I was looking for functionality. And the satin type finish eliminates alot of glare from the hood.
Old 8/28/11 | 06:29 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by J1000
Grills also keep things like rocks from punching holes in the radiator. Now that would be a cooling problem.. The hood is cool though; that's probably the first time I've seen a black hood on a non-black car that I actually liked, but what about having the shop re-clear the roof with the flat clear to match?
The hood is painted with a clear cote utilizing a flattening agent. The paint on the hood probably looks much flatter in the pics. I'd say it's closer to a satin finish as apposed to flat black.

Quick Reply: 302S hood installed and grill delete mod