Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

3,000 miles on it and here's what I noticed....

Search this Thread

Old 6/24/11, 04:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Argh, just heard the dreaded suspension noise for the first time pulling into my driveway this evening. Cars going into Oakwood Ford tomorrow before a big Mustang meet. Hope it's a quick and easy fix as the first they'll know about it is when I show up.
Old 6/24/11, 09:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by jhall1957
First, Check engine light came on. No idea why. Using only Premium fuel, no fuel door to leave open (even checked little "flap" to make sure it closed). It's going into dealer tomorrow, I'll update once I know more.

Second, right front suspension has been "noisy" since day one. Going over speed bumps(slowly) creats a groaning noise. It doesn't feel loose or anything. Asked the Ford Racing guys at VIR and they said just make a note of it with dealer, so I will tomorrow, but then yesterday I drove over several speed bumps (slowly) in a short period of time and the entire front end got very loose and noisy. Kinda like something had "un-seated". I drove it abit further (no choice) and it settled back in. The right front is still noisy this morning but the rest firmed up quickly.

I'll update after I get it to the dealership but wondered if anyone else has seen this sort of action/reaction?
Any update on this?
Old 6/27/11, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE....

....well, not really. I took it in Wed. and they asked me to bring it back Friday cause they didn't have a loaner and I live 30 miles outside town so getting another of my cars was a issue.

Took it in Friday and told them that not just the front right but the entire front suspension went VERY loose the day before after going over 4 or 5 speed bumps in a parking lot. It "sorted" itself out pretty quickly but was kinda weird.

So Friday morning asked them to check out check engine light and looks at fron suspension. Also asked them to pull the side disks since I hadn't done it yet, of course they said they couldn't.

Friday afternoon they called and told me to "enjoy" the 2012 Explorer for the weekend. If I was the kind of guy that would "enjoy" and explorer, would I have bought a Boss 302????

Anyway, now Monday at 2:30 and no news is not good news. What gives here?
Old 6/27/11, 01:02 PM

Another update...

just talked to delaership and it's a "evap" valve on the gas tank system. Another night of high performance driving in the SUV. They hope parts are in tomorrow.

Anybody know if the TracKey has been released for the new Explorer?????

BTW, where is the track day going to be for Explorer drivers???? I'm in(it looks like).

Glad I didn't throw away the number for my BMW dealership!
Old 6/27/11, 01:55 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
just talked to delaership and it's a "evap" valve on the gas tank system.
That must explain why I am getting such low mpg in my Boss! That valve is defective and my gasoline is evaporating. I am happy to know that the 14mpg average is not due to my driving with the go pedal on the floor most of the time.
Old 6/27/11, 03:58 PM

just talked to delaership and it's a "evap" valve on the gas tank system. Another night of high performance driving in the SUV. They hope parts are in tomorrow.

Anybody know if the TracKey has been released for the new Explorer?????

BTW, where is the track day going to be for Explorer drivers???? I'm in(it looks like).

Glad I didn't throw away the number for my BMW dealership!
Aw, perk up. $hit happens. You'll have it back in no time.
Old 6/28/11, 11:29 AM

Another update

Apparently, when the "smoke test"is done on the "evap assembly"it requires the valve be removed from the solenoid and hose inserted. The solenoid showed a leak, so it was replaced and then re-assembled. Once re-assembled, it still showed a leak and the valve is now being ordered!

Why order the solenoid and NOT the valve? So begins day 6 in the SUV I didn't want.
Old 6/30/11, 06:58 AM

Not sure what day I'm on now, but driving a loaner BMW today cause wifes car is in for oil change.

I talked to the dealer late yesterday and was glad to hear that when the "Evap unit" the tech took it for test drive and he heard very easily the "goan" in the right front strut.

Sooooooo, they ordered another strut. Another day in the shop.

My question is, wouldn't it have been easier to test drive the car before working on the "evap unit" and then order all the parts at once? To take that idea even farther, since 2 days were spent figuring out the both the solenoid AND the valve were both bad, won't it have made more sense to get both(the entire evap unit) in at once? I'm sure it would have shipped in a box no bigger then a shoe box and cost very little (compared to the owner of a Boss 302 getting online and venting, lol).

But here is the kicker! I asked if they had tried driving the Boss over a series of speed bumps to see if the entire front end may need something and they hadn't done that yet. When I suggested it, the dealership acted like they had it all figured out already. Now I was pretty specific that there appeared to be two different suspension issue. One was the continued goan from the front right and the second was the extremely loose feeling to the entire front end after going over several speed bumps. I even went so far as to suggesting checking those bolt assemblies that are shown in the diagram posted in this tread and they said they checked them.

Ok, so hopefully I'll get Boss back today. I'll drive directly across the street, into the shopping center parking lot and over the speed bumps. My hope is that it is fixed. I'll let you know!
Old 7/1/11, 06:05 AM

Picked up the car yesterday about 6pm. I was assured everything was fixed and I left happy.

I drove to fill it up and pulling into the parking lot I heard the front right shock goan again. I couldn't believe my ears so I hoped I was mistaken. Heard it 3 more times before getting home, I wasn't wrong.

Tried thinking about what it may be other then the strut they replaced. I'm not smart enough or know enough about it to figure it out!

Then this morning when I got to my office, I found out what the issue is. I read page 2 of the Repair Order and apparently when the tech test drove my car he heard the front LEFT shock, not the front right that I keep hearing and they replaced the front LEFT! No wonder the front right is still making noise.

I guess I'll drive back down and ask one of them to ride with me to just document the file so next time they can actually fix what is wrong.
Old 7/1/11, 06:29 AM
Cobra Member

Then this morning when I got to my office, I found out what the issue is. I read page 2 of the Repair Order and apparently when the tech test drove my car he heard the front LEFT shock, not the front right that I keep hearing and they replaced the front LEFT! No wonder the front right is still making noise.

I guess I'll drive back down and ask one of them to ride with me to just document the file so next time they can actually fix what is wrong.
Hope your Doctor, or god forbid, surgeon, doesn't make the same mistake!
Old 7/1/11, 12:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ask them if you can have the old strut they took off the L side. It's probably fine and would make a good spare. I think they're several hundred bucks each.
Old 7/1/11, 05:20 PM

Maby the right strut wasn't making noise at the time. As a dealer if the concern can not be duplicated then it can not be repaired. Just because a customer says they have a concern doesn't mean the dealer can just put some random part on it. There are processes and proceedures that have to be met for a repair and if a diagnosis indicates a bad part then that part is replaced then further diagnosis can be performed thats why they didnt replace both parts at the same time. And no you cant have the old parts back if under warrenty!
Old 7/1/11, 08:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Sounds to me like your dealer is working with you to fix what's wrong. While the issues are unfortunate, Ford is doing what it's supposed to do here.

I have a car club buddy with an M3 whose dealer is dodging fixing his CEL by saying he remapped his ECU - and I know for a fact he hasn't. Driving a Bimmer doesn't automatically mean you are treated better. Be glad your Ford dealer is playing straight-up with you - that is good customer service.
Old 7/1/11, 08:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LateApex
Sounds to me like your dealer is working with you to fix what's wrong. While the issues are unfortunate, Ford is doing what it's supposed to do here.

I have a car club buddy with an M3 whose dealer is dodging fixing his CEL by saying he remapped his ECU - and I know for a fact he hasn't. Driving a Bimmer doesn't automatically mean you are treated better. Be glad your Ford dealer is playing straight-up with you - that is good customer service.
+1 on Ford trying to do the right thing!
I had a 335XI, Which I am sure the Op knows its a twin Turbo all whell drive car,since he praises BMW. Three months after I had this car the high pressure fuel pump went out three months later same thing! BMW blammed it on "American Gas" So I sold the car and BMW can kiss my American A$$
Can't wait to see the looks on all those BMW owners when my Boss Kills their car!
Old 7/2/11, 06:52 AM
Cobra R Member

The Boss replaced my Bimmer as a daily driver because of reliability issues with the 335i and treatment from the dealers as well. Ford has a better value product. Period.
Old 7/2/11, 07:09 AM

Glad to hear you guys chiming in! A couple thoughts: first, Boss rocks and I haven't had one "second thought" on getting it. Second, Ford and dealership and tech writer all have done the best things, I really think they have all done fine. Third, I told Robert at Ford Customer Service yesterday I really don't need anything "done" at this point. I understand the problem may not have happened on test drive (even tho it happened with me moments after driving off the lot again). Fourth, no one needs to tell me about BMW service or problems. I've had tons!

I am simply posting what's going on here(just like I do on BMW forums) and suggesting a better way of handling it. If the dealership had test driven the car first, it would have saved at least one day. If they had gotten and entire "evap unit" at once it would have saved at least another day (and likely two).

My plan is the drive it this weekendand see what happens.

Ford and the dealership are doing, I'm sure, what they think is best. I am simply suggesting a "better alternative" to the system.
Old 7/2/11, 02:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
how many miles do you have on it now?
Old 7/2/11, 10:10 PM
Cobra Member

Not sure what day I'm on now, but driving a loaner BMW today cause wifes car is in for oil change.

I talked to the dealer late yesterday and was glad to hear that when the "Evap unit" the tech took it for test drive and he heard very easily the "goan" in the right front strut.

Sooooooo, they ordered another strut. Another day in the shop.

My question is, wouldn't it have been easier to test drive the car before working on the "evap unit" and then order all the parts at once? To take that idea even farther, since 2 days were spent figuring out the both the solenoid AND the valve were both bad, won't it have made more sense to get both(the entire evap unit) in at once? I'm sure it would have shipped in a box no bigger then a shoe box and cost very little (compared to the owner of a Boss 302 getting online and venting, lol).

But here is the kicker! I asked if they had tried driving the Boss over a series of speed bumps to see if the entire front end may need something and they hadn't done that yet. When I suggested it, the dealership acted like they had it all figured out already. Now I was pretty specific that there appeared to be two different suspension issue. One was the continued goan from the front right and the second was the extremely loose feeling to the entire front end after going over several speed bumps. I even went so far as to suggesting checking those bolt assemblies that are shown in the diagram posted in this tread and they said they checked them.

Ok, so hopefully I'll get Boss back today. I'll drive directly across the street, into the shopping center parking lot and over the speed bumps. My hope is that it is fixed. I'll let you know!
Does the groan your talking about happen on slow turns when you turn the wheel all the way. When I do slow full turns I hear a sound like rubber on rubber. Anyone else get that?
Old 7/2/11, 11:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

I get no groans or noises from the suspension at all. Keep at it, something needs to be greased.
Old 7/3/11, 12:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Dealer was unable to reproduce the front end groan. They did manage to teach me a lesson about changing the oil myself (see other thread). I digress. Service writer said they re-torqued all of the front suspension bolts, etc., and to keep them posted. No noises for two days, but heard the groan again in day three. It was hot out today and that seems to make the problem worse.

Deysha, I might need you to kick a few a$$es for me.

Quick Reply: 3,000 miles on it and here's what I noticed....