Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

3,000 miles on it and here's what I noticed....

Search this Thread

Old 6/23/11, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3,000 miles on it and here's what I noticed....

First, Check engine light came on. No idea why. Using only Premium fuel, no fuel door to leave open (even checked little "flap" to make sure it closed). It's going into dealer tomorrow, I'll update once I know more.

Second, right front suspension has been "noisy" since day one. Going over speed bumps(slowly) creats a groaning noise. It doesn't feel loose or anything. Asked the Ford Racing guys at VIR and they said just make a note of it with dealer, so I will tomorrow, but then yesterday I drove over several speed bumps (slowly) in a short period of time and the entire front end got very loose and noisy. Kinda like something had "un-seated". I drove it abit further (no choice) and it settled back in. The right front is still noisy this morning but the rest firmed up quickly.

I'll update after I get it to the dealership but wondered if anyone else has seen this sort of action/reaction?
Old 6/23/11, 07:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jhall1957
First, Check engine light came on. No idea why. Using only Premium fuel, no fuel door to leave open (even checked little "flap" to make sure it closed). It's going into dealer tomorrow, I'll update once I know more.

Second, right front suspension has been "noisy" since day one. Going over speed bumps(slowly) creats a groaning noise. It doesn't feel loose or anything. Asked the Ford Racing guys at VIR and they said just make a note of it with dealer, so I will tomorrow, but then yesterday I drove over several speed bumps (slowly) in a short period of time and the entire front end got very loose and noisy. Kinda like something had "un-seated". I drove it abit further (no choice) and it settled back in. The right front is still noisy this morning but the rest firmed up quickly.

I'll update after I get it to the dealership but wondered if anyone else has seen this sort of action/reaction?
I've been getting a P0300 random misfire on most track days which was discussed on another thread. Didn't get one last weekend though. The groaning at low speeds over speed bumps/drive entrances is "typical" on these S197s I've noticed. It's the front LCA bushing near as I can tell. In for any updates you get from you dealer.
Old 6/23/11, 07:47 AM
V6 Member

mine

I have 2200 miles on mine and I have the front end noise going over speed bumps, seems to be worse when car has been driven awhile, no other issues other than not real pleased with the fuel milage, but hey thats not what I bought it for, but my supercharged 06 making 530 horse got 24 hwy, and 18 in town, so just thought this would be better
Old 6/23/11, 08:04 AM
Bullitt Member

I only got around 400 miles on it and have noticed a popping over bumps coming from the right side. I haven't checked, but it sounds to me like a control arm bushing. No loose feeling, I was just planning to wait and see if it got worse.
Old 6/23/11, 08:28 AM
Bullitt Member

I started a thread on the LCA bushing issue a few weeks ago: https://themustangsource.com/f813/fr...noises-496351/

The groaning/creaking noise is worse when it is hot outside and when the car is warm; it almost never happens when ambient temperature is below 80 degrees and for the first 3-5 miles. Taking the boss in next week to have it diagnosed and am hoping for hot weather to avoid a diagnosis problem.
Old 6/23/11, 09:03 AM
Bullitt Member

There's many things that can give a popping sound.

On the last Mustang I had Ford replaced the upper strut mounts, the sway bar end link bolts, both lower control arms (I was were convinced this was the real problem) and the problem was finally the engine cross member bolts!

Have the dealer check these bolts before taking the front end a part looking for other things!

Last edited by GT_350; 6/23/11 at 09:07 AM.
Old 6/23/11, 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by billyboss
I have 2200 miles on mine and I have the front end noise going over speed bumps, seems to be worse when car has been driven awhile, no other issues other than not real pleased with the fuel milage, but hey thats not what I bought it for, but my supercharged 06 making 530 horse got 24 hwy, and 18 in town, so just thought this would be better
I have about 1200 miles on the clock with no complaints except the 1-2 gear being notchy which seems to be getting better. As far as the fuel mileage I am seeing 18-19 mpg all around driving a 24-26 hwy.
Old 6/24/11, 03:22 AM
Cobra Member

Mine has 800 miles and is in the shop, it went into Limp Mode after a medium/hard jackrabbit start from a stop light, maybe around 5K rpm-->
Old 6/24/11, 06:33 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jhall1957

Hey jhall1957,

Glad to hear you’re bringing it in to your dealer. I can get this escalated for you if you’d like. Please message me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can help.

Deysha
Old 6/24/11, 06:36 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LQQK
Mine has 800 miles and is in the shop, it went into Limp Mode after a medium/hard jackrabbit start from a stop light, maybe around 5K rpm-->
Forgot to add, Engine light came on and after a couple miles started flashing.
Old 6/24/11, 06:39 AM

Hi billyboss,

I recommend you make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis. Then please message me with your contact info, VIN, and dealer so I can escalate this for you.

Deysha
Old 6/24/11, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Brawlin' Boss
I only got around 400 miles on it and have noticed a popping over bumps coming from the right side. I haven't checked, but it sounds to me like a control arm bushing. No loose feeling, I was just planning to wait and see if it got worse.
Hello Brawlin’ Boss,

Hope all is well with you! You should bring your vehicle in to your dealer as well. If you want me to escalate this for you, just message me with your name and daytime number.

Deysha
Old 6/24/11, 07:24 AM

Oh my, LQQK! Would you like me to escalate this for you as well? If so, just send me the best daytime number for you.

Deysha
Old 6/24/11, 07:47 AM
Cobra R Member

I would recommend everyone take the advice and see a dealer. My boss had some loose bolts from the assembly. Dealer *****ed about finishing off the factory work and made it all right and tight. Probably why Ford has been so particular with inspection before releasing the recent batch of cars. This is a halo product for them so that want to make it right.
Old 6/24/11, 08:26 AM
GT Member

I am having the groaning/creaking noise too. At first, nobody else who rode in it could hear it, but now it's loud enough to be embarrassing.

it's hard to look cool in a bright red convertible that sounds like an old rusted leaf-sprung vehicle.

on Deysha's advice I'm going to take it in as soon as possible(a day that doesn't rain so I can ride the Harley)
Old 6/24/11, 08:49 AM
V6 Member

dealer

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hi billyboss,

I recommend you make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis. Then please message me with your contact info, VIN, and dealer so I can escalate this for you.

Deysha
Thank you for the help, prefer to give it some time and some miles to see if any other issues arise, unless you need some cars to look at to figure out this noise
Bill
Old 6/24/11, 09:07 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Oh my, LQQK! Would you like me to escalate this for you as well? If so, just send me the best daytime number for you.

Deysha
PM sent.
Old 6/24/11, 10:06 AM

Thank you for the help, prefer to give it some time and some miles to see if any other issues arise, unless you need some cars to look at to figure out this noise
Bill
I believe there is a resolution for it already. At least speak to your dealer first. If you need me, just message me.

Deysha
Old 6/24/11, 11:45 AM
Cobra Member

Picked up my Boss, Injector Plug Connector was not seated (all the way in to click position) on #5 injector, runs great again.
Old 6/24/11, 12:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Picked up my Boss, Injector Plug Connector was not seated (all the way in to click position) on #5 injector, runs great again.
Great news.

Quick Reply: 3,000 miles on it and here's what I noticed....